Author Topic: 25 year anniversary of Johnny Cash at the club  (Read 1644 times)

Starsky

25 year anniversary of Johnny Cash at the club
« on: May 15, 2021, 04:58:28 pm »
Anyone other than Sidehatch and I make it to this show?

This is one of my most cherished shows but my memories are faded... :(

Obviously pre cell phone pre videos

https://m.facebook.com/930club/photos/a.336017411193/10158363563601194/?type=3

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/johnny-cash/1996/930-club-washington-dc-5bceb344.html?fbclid=IwAR0mIEczeaYl7oEapulMC3G3BwcnVfCX7nWBdbP_btAhXbwHLfB519eMRUc

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 05:00:01 pm by Starsky »

Space Freely

Re: 25 year anniversary of Johnny Cash at the club
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 05:24:05 pm »
I was there. I still have the t-shirt.

Couple of months later I saw him again at a music festival in Birmingham. I was there visiting my dad, who was in the hospital due to pancreatic cancer. I needed a break, so I went to the festival. Sorry for being a downer.

But yeah, both shows truly two of the top highlights of my concert going life.

Were you carrying your NPR totebag with a sack of shit for Johnny and June to sign?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 05:26:41 pm by Space Freely »

Space Freely

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 05:47:46 pm »
It kind of killed me not to be able to go with my dad, as he was the one responsible for my love of classic country music

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 06:14:26 pm »
yeah my memory is fading on this one, but it was one of my favorite nights at the club

here is a recording from  NYC in September 1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npFR5eQkjr4
 Diffrent set list
slack

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 06:17:06 pm »
Didn't you say you saw Mick Fleetwood

I just read Tipper Gore was in attendance too
slack

twangirl

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 10:27:31 pm »
As I recall half the balcony was reserved for Tennessee politicos. Definitely one of my favorite shows at the club

Starsky

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 10:44:14 pm »

Were you carrying your NPR totebag with a sack of shit for Johnny and June to sign?

Hey ass! :)

First of all I don’t have an NPR tote

But no...I wish...a guy who subsequently became a very good friend (I didn’t know him then) was at show and he says Johnny stuck around talking to people, introducing people to his wife! I could have met Johnny Cash...doh..but realistically Cash May be one of the few guys I wouldn’t trouble for an autograph... I don’t think you mess with the man in black

this was in the days I didn’t have a clue...I was so young and green..clueless. I was lucky to be able to get my hands on a ticket and get to a show on time!!! the idea Johnny Cash would stick around to talk to me would have seemed ridiculous...

Pretty sure Sidehatch and I would have fled to Virginia right after show! I was still freaked by DC..although we liked Asylum on U St

A few years later I did procure a legit signed Live at Folsom Prison..

Yeah Mick Fleetwood was standing, towering, right behind me to the left of sound booth but a few feet up

I always cite this show as my favorite but maybe it makes more sense to say in my top 10...I don’t recall that much

Cash played a lot in 96/97 then he got sick and old real fast..the hard living caught up with him...and he was pretty much off the road with a few exceptions

The club had only opened four months prior! I don’t know how many shows I had seen at new 930 prior to the Johnny Cash

I kind of can’t believe it’s been 25 years..half my life...since that show...in 96 I was still drinking little..so it’s not likely I drank too much..highly unlikely actually... not sure why I have few recollections of show other than the Johnny cash revue style of show with June Carter and John Carter Cash..and the train video behind him and fact he had a big band and didn’t play anything I think solo like on the record

Oh and $27.50 was a bargain!!

Not too long after this Chuck Berry played  the 930 and I balked at going cause it was $50... which was expensive but still a fantastically huge mistake...like I said: I didn’t have a clue

The cigarette smoke must have been nasty at this show!! I still can’t believe one could smoke during concerts... of course I miss it but on the other hand it would get nasty... I don’t think most people chain smoked or anything cause when you smoked the smoke would virtually attack the people around you.. I mean if you were standing still and having a five minute cigarette that smoke could really bother people
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 11:37:34 pm by Starsky »