Author Topic: Euro and Copa America 2021  (Read 6729 times)

Re: Euro and Copa America 2021
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2021, 10:12:09 am »
serious question....Is Own Goal eligible for the Golden Boot?  Top scorer in the tourny with 9 in the net

This is not a serious question
can confirm, but funny nonetheless
slack

Starsky

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2021, 10:48:41 am »
Screw England

Tonight is Argentina vs Colombia in a Copa America semi with the right to play Brazil on Saturday.

Yes…following closely…games have been tight in Copa America

Stingy, cowardly, chopped up play and unsportsmanlike behavior have been prevalent unlike Eurocup…

Latin American soccer definitely hurting…and I think on a real decline

Like many Argentines and even people around the world I wish Messi could get a tournament win with Argentina almost more than I wish to see Argentina win…guy has put in the time! 148 games with national team…but it takes an entire team and luck… Brazil is certainly the favorite to repeat as champions no matter who they play

Starsky

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2021, 06:00:02 pm »
Italy gets by Spain in pks and into finals

Starsky

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2021, 11:13:14 pm »
Argentina gets by - suffering- Colombia in pks and will face Brazil in final in Brazil

The best news for Argentina regardless of what happens is that in this tournament Argentina- with so many problems- has found it’s goalkeeper Emiliano “Dibu” Martinez who plays club soccer for Aston Villa.

Starsky

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2021, 11:19:12 pm »
 ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 12:34:57 am by Starsky »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2021, 09:49:12 am »
UK twitter is going mental at the moment..
T.Rex

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2021, 09:31:58 am »

Stingy, cowardly, chopped up play and unsportsmanlike behavior have been prevalent unlike Eurocup…

Like many Argentines and even people around the world I wish Messi could get a tournament win with Argentina almost more than I wish to see Argentina win…guy has put in the time! 148 games with national team…but it takes an entire team and luck… Brazil is certainly the favorite to repeat as champions no matter who they play

I've been a big fan of South American football but after watching the Euro semis, the quality difference between the superior Euro teams and the Copa America teams is stark. The Euro finalists are just so much faster than their South American counterparts and frankly have superior talent. But that's OK, if I only cared about the players being the best on the planet, life would be boring.

I have noticed lots of non traditional media coverage for the Copa America final. Hell even NPR had an unusual "sportsy" style story about the final. I figured when I first heard the intro that it would dive into the obvious politics of the tournament, how Bolsonaro had it moved to Brazil to prove that coronavirus is no big deal, and how his approval rating has tanked. But it was just your typical ESPN style "who is better and who will win." Kind of interesting, but I can't help but believe the US media wouldn't care if it wasn't Brazil-Argentina but instead Brazil-Colombia or Brazil-insert non Argentine opponent here.

Oh well, it's been a great tournament. Looking forward to Saturday.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2021, 09:34:16 am »

The game is simply more physical in South America and guys are more reckless (see Gabriel Jesus' face kick against Chile).

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2021, 11:46:17 am »
Kind of interesting, but I can't help but believe the US media wouldn't care if it wasn't Brazil-Messi but instead Brazil-Colombia or Brazil-insert non Messi opponent here.

fixed.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2021, 12:45:48 pm »
Totally agree about Eurocup vs Copa America and I will write about that at some point

Anyone that watches can see the difference

Having the tournaments at same time for the first time is really hammering the point home

Argentina hasn’t beat Brazil in Brazil in decades..Sidehatch and I paid to see the game- a meaningless pre 98 WC friendly - in some Latino restaurant in Arlington….Argentina hasn’t won a tournament since 1993 (two Olympic golds including one with Messi do not count)

At that point -1993- I was 22 and Argentina had won 86 World Cup, finished second in 90 WC, won 91 America Cup and 93 America Cup! I truly believed it was so easy…boy was I proven wrong and boy does losing suck

It’s been decades since Argentina even scored a goal in a tournament final and our team kind of sucks… my expectations are low

We have had very good teams in the past few decades but never put it together…this is not one of those teams but anything can happen

I just want it for Messi…dude is getting old…  but many great players never win anything…it is what it is… in any case I don’t get too excited about Copa America… I am about the World Cup… if somehow- highly unlikely- Argentina beats Brazil , even In pks, in the Maracana it would be epic… Brazil is just a better team and Argentina doesn’t beat Brazil often..it’s our nemesis along with Germany

One more thing: Messi has been busting serious ass…I mean he looks motivated and INTO it…he has had a hand  in every Argentina goal…like never before… he is doing it all..the leadership is off the charts… maybe it’s realizing his time is almost over but man he is killing it… there was a curt schilling bloody sock moment in the semis afterColombian dude flattened his ankle…Messi kept going ..in the past he faded a lot and seemed indifferent

« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 12:55:56 pm by Starsky »

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2021, 07:12:33 am »
No updates, must have been lots of drinking in Starskyistan last night

I bet he’s wishing he was here
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 07:14:56 am by SlowReactionForce-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2021, 10:49:46 am »
I regret to inform everyone that my well-placed sources report that Hutch died minutes before the opening kick, so he missed all of this. #SoSad #RIP #IllMissHisSmile
LVMH

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2021, 11:47:39 am »
#IllMissHisSmile
ya had me until this...rarely spotted and infrequently documented
although I'm sure its from ear to ear today
slack

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2021, 03:05:36 pm »
Surely we are supposed to be yelling EEES CUHHMIN ‘OME now, yeah?
LVMH

Yada