Author Topic: Official 930 Supreme Court thread  (Read 30651 times)

Starsky

Re: Official 930 Supreme Court thread
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2022, 11:13:46 am »

Space Freely

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2022, 01:09:05 pm »
So what would happen to a qualified Biden SC nominee if the Republicans held a Senate majority?

Starsky

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2022, 01:25:51 pm »
You have to ask?

No chance if in last year. Third year first nominee would be bloodied and not confirmed

Second nominee? If fairly conservative would have chance for a narrow confirmation

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2022, 01:43:54 pm »
So what would happen to a qualified Biden SC nominee if the Republicans held a Senate majority?
is this a real question?

they could nominate Ronald Regan and the GQP wouldn't confirm because they give ZERO ground to anything a dem propses
they forget that compromise is what we are founded on
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 01:45:28 pm by Jackassery-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2022, 11:14:31 am »
I do like seeing this  Roberts joined liberals in dissent
while it's been a shit show, I'm glad the chief seems to have a level head

I do think he needs to issue a statement on Clarence, but not very likely that will happen
I think it's way to optimistic to think CT will suffer any consequences, but he can be put on trial right?
can a SCJ keep their seat if they are serving jail time?
slack

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2022, 11:29:07 am »
again...good to see they are not block voting on cases..there is some hope

BK says 'fuck the police' on this one...kind of a shocker, but at the same time, crazy it had to reach the SCOTUS on diaper rash

SCOTUSblog@SCOTUSblog

Here's the 6-3 opinion from Brett Kavanaugh in Thompson v. Clark: https://supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/20-659_3ea4.pdf
Samuel Alito dissents, joined by Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch.

SCOTUS rules in favor of an NYC man who sued a police officer for violating his Fourth Amendment rights after the officer arrested him for supposedly abusing his newborn daughter. An exam later showed no signs of abuse -- just diaper rash. SCOTUS reinstates the man's lawsuit.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2022, 11:56:04 am »
I think it's way to optimistic to think CT will suffer any consequences, but he can be put on trial right?
can a SCJ keep their seat if they are serving jail time?

SCJs can be impeached, just like any other federal employee.  if a supreme is arrested and convicted in criminal court, they'd still need to be impeached (or resign) in order to lose their job. 

however, your second question has never been tested: what happens if a justice is convicted of a criminal offence but for whatever reason isn't impeached?  a seat on the supreme court is an appointment for life, and impeachment is the only way to force someone off...

from King5:
- While justices can be accused, tried and even found guilty of any crime, they won't lost their Supreme Court seat because of any sentence.
- The only way a justice on the Supreme Court can be removed is by impeachment and subsequent conviction.
- Like in cases involving the president and vice president, impeachment of a justice requires a majority of the US House of Representatives to approve the "impeachment" and then a 2/3 "supermajority" of the US Senate would have to convict the justice.
- While there is one historical case of a justice being impeached, he was cleared of wrongdoing by the Senate. This means that no justice on the Supreme Court has ever been removed from their seat.
<sig>

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2022, 12:38:50 pm »
I do like seeing this  Roberts joined liberals in dissent
I did leave out an important part...the part where Citizens United comes in to play
The Supreme Court just ruled 5-4 siding with red states against the Clean Water Act
 but the conservative majority did not even issue an opinion explaining why they ruled the way they did.

just you lose, we don't have to explain ourselves, we are untouchable
slack

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2022, 10:03:16 am »
this is an interesting take and I kind of agree

Amie Parnes@amieparnes

@WhipClyburn told me if President Obama would have nominated a black woman to the Supreme Court (instead of Garland) Hillary Clinton would have won the presidency.

https://thehill.com/news/administration/3262199-democrats-plan-to-seize-on-gop-opposition-to-jackson/

man, I really think the dems are going to get slayed in 2022...setting the stage for 2024
we are running out of time and not really hearing good ideas that will get people to the polls
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 10:05:15 am by Side key bump ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2022, 10:08:18 am »
Garland was meant to be an olive branch

It didn’t work

It was the wrong move obviously

Obama just tried too hard to work with Republicans

« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 10:14:52 am by Starsky »

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2022, 10:11:12 am »
Obama just tried to hard to work with Republicans
slack

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2022, 04:01:34 pm »
So the Religious school one I heard about, on the fence...Sotomayor made it sound like we were installing the pope in the legislative branch with that ruling, not sure I agree
 but I'm no legal scholar, that is well documented

that other "crime of violence" one  (was thinking that might be a good band name, taken by an  Indonesia Metal band)
the guy didn't have the gun or shoot the gun that killed someone else... While I hate guns, hard to say that 10 years should get tacked on to his sentence for a gun in the crime rather than a knife or a car
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 04:03:51 pm by Sidestepping-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2022, 04:42:43 pm »
I am surprised you are in favor of a ruling that supports a state giving vouchers period; never mind that they can be used for religious schools.

I have always said I support so called school choice but I sure hope states watch what schools they acredit. Will they also extend vouchers to parents homeschooling their  kids? There’s a lot of crazy potential implications from school choice. I don’t know the particulars about what Maine is doing.

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2022, 04:55:57 pm »
but I sure hope states watch what schools they acredit.
exactly
I do have a lot of issues with the school voucher programs in general
but their are some redeeming things that have helped a lot of family's where the local schools are absolute garbage

I did say I was on the fence
I just felt sotomyer just went a little over the top in her dissent
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 05:02:07 pm by I have a much better link ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack