Author Topic: Shows you are glad you didn’t go  (Read 2358 times)

Starsky

Shows you are glad you didn’t go
« on: July 26, 2022, 08:10:08 am »
Man the Cult at the Anthem…only 13 songs and six from Sonic Temple

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cult/2022/the-anthem-washington-dc-7bb2ee18.html

Space Freely

Re: Shows you are glad you didn’t go
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 08:30:01 am »
Man the Cult at the Anthem…only 13 songs and six from Sonic Temple

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cult/2022/the-anthem-washington-dc-7bb2ee18.html

Didn't even hear the phone call.

I'm glad I didn't see Broken Social Scene, because the joke is likely better than the show was.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 09:27:02 am »
now feeling better about missing

wasn't really billed as it, but was this the 'sonic temple' tour since the last two were 'album' tours?

in NYC they did 7 off ST and only 4 total from Love/Electric
slack

Starsky

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 09:29:49 am »
Unless headliner is like 80 years old or playing really long songs, or in a festival, 13 songs from a headliner seems pathetic

It has to be said this is nothing new from the Cult…short sets

Also their recent tours they played the entire Sonic Temple and now they keep six songs from that album in rotation? Weak

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 09:35:46 am »
well, wasn't it a split bill with BRMC?
slack

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 09:40:11 am »
I think ST was their biggest selling album (was certified Platinum by the RIAA in 1990.), and it's got some great songs
but doesn't hold a candle to Love/Electric

this was a pretty harsh review
In a less enthusiastic review for The Village Voice, Robert Christgau wrote: "Having risen from cultdom as a joke metal band metal fans were too dumb to get, they transmute into a dumb metal band. Dumb was the easy part. Ha ha."
slack

Starsky

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 09:42:56 am »
well, wasn't it a split bill with BRMC?

Well the Cult was billed first, played last, and their name was in bigger letters so I don’t think so….

Sonic Temple was such a step down but what could one expect with Bob Rock production…that guy is my kryptonite

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 09:45:49 am »
I guess somewhat expected, but I don't think it fits

this is what Wikipedia lists the cult as:
Genre   Glam metal

actually, I guess they are saying the album
for Love they list
Genre   Gothic rock -post-punk
slack

Starsky

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 09:54:24 am »
I would say Sonic Temple is hard rock
Love is post punk
Electric is AC/DC which I think is hard rock although some would say it’s heavy metal….it sort of depends on the era

Sonic Temple is not all bad but it’s pretty bad… it’s one of those albums that may have sold a lot but I doubt many people actually love…

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 09:58:22 am »
Sonic Temple is not all bad but it’s pretty bad… it’s one of those albums that may have sold a lot but I doubt many people actually love…
I agree
there are few good tunes on it

I think it did make them huge, but those new fans were fly by night fans, and I would imagine the vast majority of people who are still fans are fans of Love/electric
slack

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 10:22:27 am »
I've recently seen McCartney, The Who and Jackson Browne (granted none quite 80 when I saw them).  All of them played at least 2.5 hours (not including any breaks they took...you know for their mid show nap or diaper change).  Plus Uncle Bob well into his 60's playing 2.75 hour shows as well.

Unless headliner is like 80 years old or playing really long songs, or in a festival, 13 songs from a headliner seems pathetic

It has to be said this is nothing new from the Cult…short sets

Also their recent tours they played the entire Sonic Temple and now they keep six songs from that album in rotation? Weak

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2022, 11:05:23 am »
So other than getting to see Southern Death Cult, the only time I saw The Cult was when they made an surprise appearance at the Roy Tyner (MC5) tribute concert in Detroit in 1992.  They just happened to be scheduled at the venue next door on the same night.   

Now rumor has it Primal Scream also in town that night also wanted to play this show, but bumped because of the Cult.  Frankly, in 1992 I would have rather seen Primal Scream than the Cult.

I just saw that this show was Fred "Sonic" Smith's last ever live performance along with other remaining members of the MC5

one last tidbit, the show schedule  got thrown off because Goober and the Pea a cowboy punk outfit whose schtick at the time was kicking hay all over the stage while they performed, caused a delay to due to the clean up on the stage.  I believe Jack White was playing drums with them during this time period. 

Anyways it was an amazing evening with The Rationals,  The Romantics and Loudhouse how later became Sponge also performed.
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2022, 01:03:11 pm »
The Romantics rock…totally different from their image

Primal Scream 1992 hell yeah even I would have wanted to see them over the Cult

vansmack

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2022, 03:55:09 pm »
GWARBQ
27>34

bearman🐻