Author Topic: Autographed stuff heads up!  (Read 13495 times)

Starsky

Re: Autographed stuff heads up!
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2023, 10:25:32 am »
https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-creative-act/rick-rubin/9781805301042
I litterly just heard about while listening to a Tim Ferris podcast where was interviewing Rick
I ordered the Audiobook about 15 mins ago (because Rick does the narration...the only type I get)

Great quote from that podcast Rubin when discussing the book and how it has nothing about any of the artists he worked with
"I want it to be a forever book....I want it to be able to live outside of time"

BTW there were no books available when I clicked on it

Found another one...and tried to order, but it won't ship to VA?
https://www.foxlanebooks.co.uk/product-page/pre-order-rick-rubin-the-creative-act-17-1
Probably should just wait until he does a US book tour
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 10:33:05 am by SideShowMob ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 11:36:13 am »
Found another one...and tried to order, but it won't ship to VA?
https://www.foxlanebooks.co.uk/product-page/pre-order-rick-rubin-the-creative-act-17-1
Probably should just wait until he does a US book tour
procured...wasn't too bad with shipping: $52.49
slack

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 12:29:06 pm »
Bought a Colin Melon novel on eBay "Wildwood" for $5.  It ended up being autographed by him and his wife Carson Ellis who illustrated the book.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 12:38:52 pm »
I guess I don't understand autographed stuff. I mean these are talented people with cool jobs. Maybe more talented than we are. Maybe with better jobs than we have. Maybe they even have more money, or possibly not. But whatever.

It all feels like idol worship to me. I'm not even sure I'd like those people if I met them.

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2023, 12:40:43 pm »
I'm not even sure I'd like those people if I met them.

They say “Never meet your heroes,” and I can tell you from experience that it’s good advice. I’ve met all of my idols, and I’ve been disappointed by every single one.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/never-meet-your-heroes
slack

Starsky

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2023, 01:23:54 pm »
I guess I don't understand autographed stuff. I mean these are talented people with cool jobs. Maybe more talented than we are. Maybe with better jobs than we have. Maybe they even have more money, or possibly not. But whatever.

It all feels like idol worship to me. I'm not even sure I'd like those people if I met them.

There’s always people who feel this way. You are not alone.

I have no interest in explaining it to you. People never say “Oh yeah I see that makes sense.” They have their view and are dug in. Either you think it’s cool or you don’t and that’s fine.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2023, 01:38:57 pm »

not sure how that fits in... are you saying that 100% of the artists you like are great people who you'd like if you met them (and have liked 100% of the ones you have met?)
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2023, 02:01:13 pm »

not sure how that fits in... are you saying that 100% of the artists you like are great people who you'd like if you met them (and have liked 100% of the ones you have met?)

Erm, no. I'm not sure how you got that. I was saying that just because they're "famous" enough to give away autographs has no bearing on whether or not I'd like any of them IRL. Doesn't matter if I like their music/art/writing or not.

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 01:25:59 am »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 09:13:40 am »
Wow I think that’s the show where he signed my record….

Starsky

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2023, 09:22:34 pm »
New Yo la tengo autographed on newbury…..pricey though

I hate vinyl prices….

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2023, 01:09:19 am »
Zakk Wylde is selling stage-played guitars from the forthcoming Pantera tour at VIP meet and greets
The Wylde man of guitar is selling VIP packages where you can hang out, grab a photo, an autograph, and get your mitts on a super-aggressive Wylde Audio guitar, too

the VIP upgrades for the Lube show are already sold out.  the get-a-guitar package is $3,250 (soon to be $3,500).  those guitars retail for $1,400, so the implied value of meeting-and-greeting zakk, along with some merch and a signature, is $1,850 (soon to be $2,100).  weird economy we live in...
<sig>