Author Topic: LIVE at the Atlantis  (Read 75423 times)

Hutch

Re: LIVE at the Atlantis
« Reply #570 on: June 07, 2023, 03:28:46 pm »
I spoke with someone and the word is there will not be wifi at Atlantis. At least it’s not planned. The feeling is to try to replicate the old 930 you really can’t have a bunch of people plugging away at their phones and taking selfies and posting on social media.

I know it kind of sounds crazy in this day and age

Yada

« Reply #571 on: June 07, 2023, 03:32:23 pm »
I spoke with someone and the word is there will not be wifi at Atlantis. At least it’s not planned. The feeling is to try to replicate the old 930 you really can’t have a bunch of people plugging away at their phones and taking selfies and posting on social media.

I actually couldn't care less about internet access, but it would be nice to have cell service (is that possible/seperate from wifi/data?). Emergencies arise inside the club (didn't someone just OD at walkmen last week) and if we hire a baby sitter to go to a show I need access to my phone line.

Hutch

« Reply #572 on: June 07, 2023, 03:35:38 pm »

I actually couldn't care less about internet access, but it would be nice to have cell service (is that possible/seperate from wifi/data?). Emergencies arise inside the club (didn't someone just OD at walkmen last week) and if we hire a baby sitter to go to a show I need access to my phone line.

Ok I made that up but now you get all serious on me I can’t cash the check

No idea about wifi plans

« Reply #573 on: June 07, 2023, 03:39:40 pm »
 The Roamly app is flaky because of it

They could easily get cell boosters to strengthen the signal
slack

Yada

« Reply #574 on: June 07, 2023, 04:16:11 pm »
The Roamly app is flaky because of it

They could easily get cell boosters to strengthen the signal

oh speaking of Roam, what's the deal with a service charge to use it?? Let's make our bar tender's lies easier, but we'll charge you to use it. Guess I'll go back to just using my CC.

« Reply #575 on: June 07, 2023, 04:43:52 pm »
oh speaking of Roam, what's the deal with a service charge to use it??
I didn't realize that was getting charged $1 per tab hidden under a white circled i in the taxes and fees section

"the fee helps cover the CONVENIENCE costs of mobile payments, additional security to prevent fraud and maintain a high EMV level to stay PCI compliant"

Not sure what PR told these companies to use the word conveniencebut definitely grinds my gears

How is this something we now charge the customer for?
even though it is used to make it easy for business transactions to happen with less human labor...by a lot.
So this tool enables the company to make more money faster, easier and more securely...now actually generates another profit line item too
there was never a 'employee fee' line item to pay this person to print out this ticket
every transaction will include a small fee to ensure our employees get a living wage

I work in IT and had never heard of EMV compliance, learn something new every day
https://www.ul.com/insights/emv-transit-level-1-2-3-certifications

Not that it's justification, but you do get FWB points on your whole tab
 they were doing double points I think ...not sure if that still is a thing as I noticed my last rooam purchase was in july of 2022

« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 04:50:44 pm by SideH@tchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Hutch

« Reply #576 on: June 07, 2023, 05:19:47 pm »
What really bugs me are bars that add a 18% gratuity and then on the next line have TIP____. More and more seem to be doing this….it’s pretty shifty

I don’t know when rooam added that fee…it wasn’t always there right? Full disclosure I never use rooam

Hutch

« Reply #577 on: June 08, 2023, 10:42:03 am »
My thoughts on Pixies.

Sometimes shows just happen to work out when you are in the perfect headspace for them…. Been listening to them quite a bit lately… The only two other times I had seen them were at DAR (with Kim) and then at Jiffy Lube (without Kim). So it took many years for me to accept a Kimless Pixies. And the only reason I went to Jiffy Lube was cause Sidehatch had an extra ticket. I thought it was a really good show at Jiffy even if we were a bit far at the very important people tables. Like I said am a big fan..even read the Pixies oral history book. So when they announced Atlantis Pixies I knew I had to go as it was my chance to see them in a good and intimate venue. Although I guess I could have seen them at 930 but didn’t?

Based on bit of a Hot Chip debacle getting there late I knew I wanted to be there early to get a decent spot. We got there a little before 8 and I got the commemorative ticket stub (nice touch IMP) numbered 160 so I was the 160th person in….the floor in front of stage had people but not too many and I managed to get up to like equivalent of third row. Challenged was already there with his poster and Bearman was in front at railing with his gigantic pate. I don’t know that he turned around even one time in three hours which I found surprising. Sidehatch, Challenged and I talked for an hour. On one of my trips to bar I was standing behind Yada who turned and said hello. He told me his spot and I almost said he should move. I told him where we were. As the clock counted down we saw Seth amble in with other distinguished folks to the box upstairs (stage left / house right). The weird thing with the floor up front was we had quite a bit of space and nobody barged in or pushed forward. Knowing people were probably packed in tight in the back and stage right side I thought this was weird. The band came out and without saying anything launched into a fantastic 28 songs over 93 minutes set. No bullshit. No banter. No smiles other than Paz. The three guys are just dour. I loved it. Just a meat and potatoes rock show without any frills. No “Hey DC I can’t hear you!” BS. Just the music. That magnificent catalog recorded from 1987-1991 plus a few newer songs which sounded just a bit better than ok. The old stuff sounded incredible. I could not fucking believe how close I was! Like ten feet from guitar anti-god Joey Santiago and maybe 12 feet from Frank Black, Black Francis and Charles Townsend or whatever his name is this week. In previous shows I had not noticed that the drummer almost seems like a jazzbo drummer. The way he is kind of hunched over the kit and holds the sticks. The sound was absolute perfection where I was…every chord, note and syllable crystal clear. Frank Black, Black Francis and Charles Townsend was playing acoustic about 90% of show which to me is the Pixies sound: his acoustic strumming, Joeys understated but visceral guitar licks and the bass often in the foreground. Because my spot was so good I decided not to move for the 93?minutes which if you know me you know is hard cause I like a beer in my hand constantly and bathroom breaks. The set list was amazing. Of course I extra enjoyed the three from Trompe (one of my top 100 albums ever). The version of Head On (maybe my favorite cover ever!) made me cream all over. I think 2 more songs from Surfer would have been optimal but who gives a fuck what I think. At some point I realized Frank Black, Black Francis and Charles Townsend was not going to say a word! I think a few songs later he said “Hey”…. They finished with their cover of Winterlong by Neil Young..a perfect send off as it’s a little lighter and sweeter than their usual. After that song they all -even the 3 guys- smiled a lot..waves.. so that WAS when they showed their appreciation for the crowd and it looked legit. Awesome

This show was bucket list for me and more than lived up to my expectations.

As far as the venue….obviously they are doing something right for me to have that experience. I don’t know if it’s just for the opening 44 shows but I think I counted three roped off VIP areas which is two too many. I guess because it’s smaller getting there earlier is more important than at the 930 where I know that even sidling in at last minute I have a few decent plays for spots. I know it’s my problem but not being able to smoke on roof deck is a buzzkill for me but if I could smoke there it would be a buzzkill for most people so I get it. Staff was great (although bartender who I am guessing is new didn’t know how to do one or two things yet) and I noticed they are people who have worked at 930 so they know what they are doing. As others have said at $10 plus beers it’s a little pricey. Would it really hurt profits that much to have a cheap $7 option? I think people would drink more and more than offset for lower cost per unit but I have no experience in the beer supply business. Very experienced in beer consumption and I am noticing people drinking less at 930 shows. Anthem is a different beast and people just seem to come in with an attitude that they plan to drink a lot. Bathroom was great. Never got overwhelmed.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 10:53:58 am by Hutch »

« Reply #578 on: June 08, 2023, 10:51:51 am »
After that song they all -even the four boys- smiled a lot..waves.. so that WAS when they showed their appreciation for the crowd and it looked legit. Awesome
can confirm, they all seemed overjoyed by the response and were soaking it up for a bit
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #579 on: June 08, 2023, 11:26:04 am »
Did they really not play Monkey Gone to Heaven?

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #580 on: June 08, 2023, 11:56:41 am »
Would it really hurt profits that much to have a cheap $7 option?

PBR is available for $8. As I said earlier, it's super lame for Seth to not publicize the beer prices. He is obviously trying to capitalize on people buying the say IPA that they wouldn't buy if they knew it was $13. Very disrespectful to customers.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #581 on: June 08, 2023, 11:58:39 am »
Fine dining establishments do not list prices on their menus. If you have to ask...

moeszyslak

« Reply #582 on: June 08, 2023, 12:00:33 pm »

PBR is available for $8. As I said earlier, it's super lame for Seth to not publicize the beer prices. He is obviously trying to capitalize on people buying the say IPA that they wouldn't buy if they knew it was $13. Very disrespectful to customers.

PBR at the Trouble Funk soft opening was $10.  Ticketmaster Dynamic beverage pricing?

Yada

« Reply #583 on: June 08, 2023, 12:07:31 pm »

PBR at the Trouble Funk soft opening was $10.  Ticketmaster Dynamic beverage pricing?

the real stinker was the TM fee to park in the 930 parking lot...

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #584 on: June 08, 2023, 12:54:09 pm »
Fine dining establishments do not list prices on their menus. If you have to ask...

It's not a fine dining establishment.