Author Topic: Ambulance Ltd (& the Thrills)  (Read 2807 times)

Bags

Ambulance Ltd (& the Thrills)
« on: May 20, 2004, 01:02:00 pm »
Is anyone hitting this show at Black Cat on Saturday?  

I'm not much interested in the Thrills, but am intrigued by Ambulance Ltd.  Just got their CD yesterday, but am only on song #3 ("Anecdote").

Bags

Re: Ambulance Ltd (& the Thrills)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 01:20:00 pm »
Just found these reviews from the Mar. 29 Ambulance Ltd show with Stellastarr*

Ambulance were OK, not great I have an EP thingie it it is a fair bit better than their live sound. They really were not very interesting live.  â?? Markie

I gave Ambulance three songs and while I can see what they're going for, they don't have the songs or the chops to get there.  â?? Relaxer

brennser

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 01:41:00 pm »
I gave Ambulance three songs and while I can see what they're going for, they don't have the songs or the chops to get there. â?? Relaxer  
yeah but Relaxer doesn't like Sleater Kinney either, so you have to take it with a grain of salt   :p

Taster

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 03:21:00 pm »
Ambulance's album is a little dissapointing so far, but I'll give it a few more spins before the show and I'll check out their set.  But I'm going mainly for The Thrills.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 04:02:00 pm »
I saw Ambulance Ltd. open for Stellastarr* in Richmond and it was first rate. I had the EP too, but only had listened to it maybe once, but after seeing their live show, I bought the LP. They have a solid live show and an interesting sound.

eltee

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 06:42:00 pm »
I'll be there.

npetting

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 06:45:00 pm »
I'll be there.  I've heard great things about ambulance live. I heard that Peter Buck has something to do with the new Thrills album.

Bags

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 06:45:00 pm »
Do we have any idea of the chances of this show selling out?  I'd like to play it by ear....

eltee

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 08:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:
  Do we have any idea of the chances of this show selling out?  I'd like to play it by ear....
I don't think it will. A friend said this afternoon tickets are still available. Last time, there was such a scurry to get to Iota, but I've haven't heard a buzz at all about this show.

jkeisenh

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 09:45:00 am »
I will go for Ambulance-- i really like their cd and they were great last time around.
 I may stay for the thrills, but there's a good chance I'll go... um... bathe the cat instead.  

The exchange I had with crazy 17 yr old girl at the Iota Thrills show:
 her: why aren't you dancing?
 me: because i don't want to.
 her: but they're so good!
 me: they suck.
 her: they're my favorite band!
 me: your favorite band sucks.

I've always wanted to use that sentence in public with good justification.  Thank you to The  Thrills for making it possible.

skonster

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 09:36:00 am »
Anyone?  anyone?  made a last minute/second decision not to attend.  I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that Ambulance's live set was improving quickly, but I've already seen the Thrills twice this year and didn't need to see them again.

Bags

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 10:34:00 am »
I didn't make it either -- I did that twice last week (didn't make Zero 7 either).  I even bought the Ambulance LTD album to prepare for the show, but had other things going on.  Ah well, they'll be back...

eltee

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 11:01:00 am »
I missed Ambulance unfortunately!!! Argh.

megs

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 09:27:00 pm »
i for one had a grand ole time, and not only because all the band members are lovely. ambulance keep getting better each time i see them (this was time #3), and i will always have a soft spot for the thrills. bless 'em and their sunny chirpy tunes. and the ambulance singer, marcus, is as nice as he is skinny, which is very! (markie, lulu, hush)...

eilo97

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 10:29:00 pm »
i had a very good time as well...thought both bands were great!  did anyone stick around to meet the thrills?  i was going to, but was informed that you had to BUY a copy of the cd, and it was the only thing you could get signed.  so no meet-and-greet for me :-( a little bit ridiculous to have to pay more money to meet them after you've paid for your ticket (and probably already bought their CD), but i had a wonderful time, regardless.