Author Topic: Black Keys cancel 2024 North American tour  (Read 622 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Black Keys cancel 2024 North American tour
« on: May 26, 2024, 10:00:16 am »
Surprised this hasn't been discussed here yet. The Black Keys cancelled their *entire* North American tour. Consequence of Sound blames poor ticket sales for arena shows. Has the post Covid concert gold rush bubble burst?

https://consequence.net/2024/05/the-black-keys-cancel-tour-dates/

hutch

Re: Black Keys cancel 2024 North American tour
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 10:05:04 am »
I too am surprised this hasn’t been discussed on an already existing thread like “just postponed or cancelled”!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024, 10:44:52 am »
I too am surprised this hasn’t been discussed on an already existing thread like “just postponed or cancelled”!

I'm just grateful someone thought to start that thread so we can talk about stuff like this.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2024, 01:10:36 am »
The Black Keys issue statement about cancelled arena tour

(...)  we have decided to make some changes to the North American leg of the International Players Tour that will enable us to offer a similarly exciting, intimate experience for both fans and the band, and will be announcing a revised set of dates shortly.

sounds like it was in fact poor ticket sales
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2024, 07:52:56 am »
an editor for Billboard weighs in the presumable this arena tour being cancelled and how tours are planned in general

https://x.com/ericrennerbrown/status/1795163886301114874
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2024, 08:25:09 am »
Problem is he takes NYC as benchmark and NYC is a unique market.

I think the DC area booking shows how flawed this tour was…how you can expect to do well in an arena in Baltimore is beyond me….

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2024, 05:05:45 pm »
I saw them in the Balt arena years back with St. Vincent.  I think it was pretty filled but this was back when they were much more relevant. 

Problem is he takes NYC as benchmark and NYC is a unique market.

I think the DC area booking shows how flawed this tour was…how you can expect to do well in an arena in Baltimore is beyond me….

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2024, 11:35:52 am »
Patrick Carney of The Black Keys seems to imply that the band "got f*cked" by their management (which they have since fired), resulting in the cancelation of their 2024 US arena tour and their worst-performing album in two decades.
slack

Julian, Authenticated CAUDILLO

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2024, 11:44:36 am »
resulting in the cancelation of their 2024 US arena tour and their worst-performing album in two decades.
The first part of that, sure. The second part of that, nah, y'all wrote that trash not your manager.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2024, 11:52:06 am »
Is it really any worse than Delta kreme or whatever?

It’s about context…their moment has passed… doesn’t matter what they put out… just like after Brothers whatever they released was going to be huge…

At this point anyone playing rock is really struggling….I mean remember Jack White’s last two albums?

hutch

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2024, 12:02:50 pm »
Patrick Carney of The Black Keys seems to imply that the band "got f*cked" by their management (which they have since fired), resulting in the cancelation of their 2024 US arena tour and their worst-performing album in two decades.

Irving Azoff fucks people over for shits and giggles and for a living but he usually looks after his clients. Even U2 hired him!!

Funnily enough he started in the late 60s with REO then moved up with Dan Fogelberg… Eagles….Steely Dan

Mobius

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2024, 12:36:22 pm »
Do they blame management for making them mediocre characterless White Stripes derivatives too? 

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2024, 02:21:10 pm »
I thought Azoff was a hundred years old by now but he's only 76. He's famously one of rock's biggest assholes.
😐 🎶

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2024, 02:24:08 pm »
I thought Azoff was a hundred years old by now but he's only 76. He's famously one of rock's biggest assholes.
what are you talking about
Azoff was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an Ahmet Ertegun Award winner
and.....He has been named "Manager of the Year" by two touring industry trade publications.
I mean, trade pubs said he's the best, so how could they be wrong

/sarcasmoff
slack

hutch

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2024, 03:05:45 pm »

Can confirm. Treats people like 💩. A lot of the old guard is/was like that…they are from a different era…Larry Magid from Philly for example.

Harvey Weinstein started out promoting concerts in Buffalo….

In a former life I was a part time schlub to the GM at Warner Theatre. Don Henley was playing so Azoff (his manager) rolls into town. Poor GM - awe some young black lady- has no idea who Azoff was and he lets her have it cause she didn’t get him the red carpet treatment. “Don’t you know who I am bla bla bla”…. Her boss at that time was Magid and I guess Azoff calls him to bitch and Magid calls her to bitch her out. She didn’t last long….
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 03:20:16 pm by hutch »