Author Topic: Ticketmaster has been hacked  (Read 1331 times)

hutch

Re: Ticketmaster has been hacked
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2024, 02:23:27 pm »
Well if this doesn’t make people love Ticketmaster….

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2024, 02:37:58 pm »
time to change your password...
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2024, 02:54:06 pm »
I refuse on principle

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2024, 03:49:29 pm »
I refuse on principle
If we change our passwords, the terrorists win.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2024, 04:14:23 pm »
I refuse on principle
If we change our passwords, the terrorists win.

if we don't change our passwords, the online scammers win

terrorists are indeed scarier than online scammers, but the scammers are a more likely threat so i'll go with the odds
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2024, 04:33:41 pm »
We must all embrace our new identities as hackees

Mobius

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2024, 04:46:01 pm »
I trust that Ticketmaster will spin this into a positive and start assessing ‘Data Sharing’ fees on all tickets purchases

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2024, 05:07:16 pm »
More fun and games

Ticket scalpers have reverse-engineered how Ticketmaster generates the revolving barcodes for its tickets. They are now able to generate authentic tickets on their own infrastructure, which removes resale restrictions and lets them sell

This solves a mystery lots of fans who bought on secondary market had, for why they were being asked to open their tickets on "secure-tickets.com" or "amosa.app" or some other non-Ticketmaster website.

Revolving barcode tickets work essentially like app-based 2FA. So the broker have figured out how to grab the token and how to use it on their own websites to generate a new ticket that no longer has resale restrictions and scans exactly like a genuine ticket.

Some of these services are being sued by Ticketmaster's biggest competitor, AXS, for making "counterfeit" tickets. AXS is going after them partially on copyright and trademark grounds bc these services use AXS logo. No one involved in the case will

https://x.com/jason_koebler/status/1810321470578704642?s=46&t=81bsTFbar0Jl_mHBl9WnuA

Scalpers Work With Hackers to Liberate Ticketmaster's ‘Non-Transferable’ Tickets

https://www.404media.co/scalpers-are-working-with-hackers-to-liberate-non-transferable-tickets-from-ticketmasters-ecosystem/

T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2024, 06:29:13 pm »
As long as they don’t figure out how to take a ticket and turn it into multiple scannable tickets….

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2024, 07:01:29 pm »
As long as they don’t figure out how to take a ticket and turn it into multiple scannable tickets….

That's where I thought this was going. What's to stop them?

hutch

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2024, 07:23:55 pm »
Well I suppose it’s TM’s job to stay ahead of them with the ticket scanners picking up on fact tickets are funky…making tickets transferable doesn’t really affect the bottom line it just makes it so scalpers can scalp but if you can game things to make multiple tickets that scan then the concert industry couldn’t go on I suppose…

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2024, 08:37:09 am »
More fun and games

Ticket scalpers have reverse-engineered how Ticketmaster generates the revolving barcodes for its tickets. They are now able to generate authentic tickets on their own infrastructure, which removes resale restrictions and lets them sell

This solves a mystery lots of fans who bought on secondary market had, for why they were being asked to open their tickets on "secure-tickets.com" or "amosa.app" or some other non-Ticketmaster website.

Revolving barcode tickets work essentially like app-based 2FA. So the broker have figured out how to grab the token and how to use it on their own websites to generate a new ticket that no longer has resale restrictions and scans exactly like a genuine ticket.

Some of these services are being sued by Ticketmaster's biggest competitor, AXS, for making "counterfeit" tickets. AXS is going after them partially on copyright and trademark grounds bc these services use AXS logo. No one involved in the case will

https://x.com/jason_koebler/status/1810321470578704642?s=46&t=81bsTFbar0Jl_mHBl9WnuA

Scalpers Work With Hackers to Liberate Ticketmaster's ‘Non-Transferable’ Tickets

https://www.404media.co/scalpers-are-working-with-hackers-to-liberate-non-transferable-tickets-from-ticketmasters-ecosystem/

This is great for consumers. Ticket scalpers are heroes.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2024, 12:22:04 pm »

That's where I thought this was going. What's to stop them?

"inventory"

the hacker-scalpers aren't "creating" new tickets in the system, they are "referencing" existing tickets (hence the need to grab the ticket's token first).

gross generalization: a seat in a venue, for a given performance, is given an "inventory ID" of 12345.  the rotating barcode system generates a new barcode every 30 seconds, but when that temp barcode is scanned it ultimately resolves to 12345.  if you crack the barcode generation system, it means you can insert yourself in front of that 12345 ticket - but you can't create, say, ticket 54321 because 54321 doesn't exist in inventory.  once a ticket is scanned, it's marked as "used" in inventory so you can't scan it a second (or third, or...) time.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 12:23:47 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2024, 12:23:53 pm »
This is great for consumers. Ticket scalpers are heroes.

edgy
<sig>