Author Topic: Manic Street Preachers - any news of a US tour?  (Read 10832 times)

Giles

Manic Street Preachers - any news of a US tour?
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:07:00 am »
I've seen MSP several times in the UK at a couple of summer music festivals and at the Oasis/Nissan show a number years back - and I know that the last time they were supposed to play the 9:30 the entire US tour got cancelled - isn't high time they do a another US tour - since 'Send Away the Tigers' got released last Fall - I'd kill to see them again, 'live' they put on an amazing show.

TheREALHunter

Re: Manic Street Preachers - any news of a US tour?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 11:44:00 am »
I'm with you on that, I almost flew to the UK last year when they toured just so I could catch one of their goddamned shows, they're currently one of the only bands that I would suffer through some bullshit all-day festival to see.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 12:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by Giles:
  I've seen MSP several times in the UK at a couple of summer music festivals and at the Oasis/Nissan show a number years back
My God, weren't Oasis awful at that show?  That was the last show before Oasis just gave up and scrapped the rest of the tour, wasn't it?  The Manics were good, though.

The Manics don't have too much luck with American tours.  It was right before a planned US trek that Richey disappeared.

I don't think it makes sense financially for the Manics to tour America.  I'd be surprised if "Send Away the Tigers" has sold 20,000 copies in America since its release.  I mean, Suede and Pulp didn't tour more than a few dates in America after 1996.

I guess you're going to have to make do with Rhianna covers.

Brian

Giles

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by TheREALHunter:
  I'm with you on that, I almost flew to the UK last year when they toured just so I could catch one of their goddamned shows, they're currently one of the only bands that I would suffer through some bullshit all-day festival to see.
I saw them at one of the V Fests when they became headliners replacements (Travis pulled out) and the show was fantastic - it was a total sing along - "Tsunami" being the best of the bunch.

Giles

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:

I've seen MSP several times in the UK at a couple of summer music festivals and at the Oasis/Nissan show a number years back
My God, weren't Oasis awful at that show?  That was the last show before Oasis just gave up and scrapped the rest of the tour, wasn't it?  The Manics were good, though.

The Manics don't have too much luck with American tours.  It was right before a planned US trek that Richey disappeared.

I don't think it makes sense financially for the Manics to tour America.  I'd be surprised if "Send Away the Tigers" has sold 20,000 copies in America since its release.  I mean, Suede and Pulp didn't tour more than a few dates in America after 1996.

Brian [/b]
Suede never gave a toss about touring the states - I ultimately saw them when they headlined Reading one year - the one and only time I saw them in performance.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

Originally posted by Brian Wallace:

Brian [/b]
Suede never gave a toss about touring the states - I ultimately saw them when they headlined Reading one year - the one and only time I saw them in performance. [/b]
I once saw Suede at the WUST hall (what the 9:30 club used to be) supporting "Dog Man Star" and they were out for BLOOD.  One of the best shows I've ever seen.  Bernard had just left and they were so fierce and tight.

Also, I think they had their istruments stolen in Boston on one tour.  Maybe they felt it wasn't worth it.

Brian

eros

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »
Add me to the list of those who would love to see a Manics show/tour.  Thanks to Nissan Pavilion/I-66 traffic, I missed them opening for Oasis (who I'd agree were pretty dreadful that night).  

I'd also say not likely based on the economics of it.  I suppose the best we could hope for is a one-off in NYC maybe?
ʎɐʍou

RustyOrgan

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:05:00 am »
Never got to see Suede - I think the last US show was in support of 'Coming Up' at the Supper Club in NYC.  Would have lost my shit to have seen that DC 'Dog Man Star' show. Saw Pulp at Tibet DC and Hammerstein Ballroom - know they played 9:30 for 'Different Class' which would have been AMAZING! Finally saw Blur at 9:30 Club for 'Think Tank.' Saw Elastica at 9:30 Club for 'The Menace.'  Missed seeing Lush at 9:30 Club for 'Lovelife' although saw them at HFS.
 Would love to see Manic Street Preachers - agree that a NYC one-off might be the only chance.
 Would love to see New Order - although i guess they're disbanded now?
 Hmmm - Think that about covers the Britpop mid 90's must-see bands.  Looking forward to finally seeing Jesus and Mary Chain (saw FreeHeat at Metro), My Bloody Valentine, etc.

bearman🐻

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 09:18:00 am »
Being the Britpop whore that I am, I have to say I regret not having seeing Lush and Ride back in 1990. That would have been amazing...I did catch Lush at the 9:30 a couple of times after that. I also missed the Manics on the Generation Terrorists tour, and that is still my favorite record of theirs. I prefer the US-mix better than the UK mix.

But I did get to see pretty much every other band from that era. I saw Blur and Pulp together, which was a lot of fun. I think I saw Catherine Wheel at least 10 times. Was anyone else at Suede back when the 9:30 was WUST and the Cranberries and Counting Crows were the openers? I have to say nobody put on better shows than Inspiral Carpets and Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine. What kills me is both are still gigging in England. I think the Inspirals are doing a show in London this week.

bearman🐻

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 09:19:00 am »
Oh yeah, anyone else catch the JAMC/Curve/Spiritualized tour in 1992? That was one of the best triple bills I've seen.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 09:20:00 am »
Originally posted by bearman:
  Being the Britpop whore that I am, I have to say I regret not having seeing Lush and Ride back in 1990. That would have been amazing...I did catch Lush at the 9:30 a couple of times after that. I also missed the Manics on the Generation Terrorists tour, and that is still my favorite record of theirs. I prefer the US-mix better than the UK mix.

But I did get to see pretty much every other band from that era. I saw Blur and Pulp together, which was a lot of fun. I think I saw Catherine Wheel at least 10 times. Was anyone else at Suede back when it was WUST and the Cranberries and Counting Crows were the openers?

Yes. Yes!  YES!  You had me!

I have to say nobody put on better shows than Inspiral Carpets and Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine.
Then you lost me.

Brian

Giles

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 09:27:00 am »
Originally posted by RustyOrgan:
  Never got to see Suede - I think the last US show was in support of 'Coming Up' at the Supper Club in NYC.  Would have lost my shit to have seen that DC 'Dog Man Star' show. Saw Pulp at Tibet DC and Hammerstein Ballroom - know they played 9:30 for 'Different Class' which would have been AMAZING! Finally saw Blur at 9:30 Club for 'Think Tank.' Saw Elastica at 9:30 Club for 'The Menace.'  Missed seeing Lush at 9:30 Club for 'Lovelife' although saw them at HFS.
 Would love to see Manic Street Preachers - agree that a NYC one-off might be the only chance.
 Would love to see New Order - although i guess they're disbanded now?
 Hmmm - Think that about covers the Britpop mid 90's must-see bands.  Looking forward to finally seeing Jesus and Mary Chain (saw FreeHeat at Metro), My Bloody Valentine, etc.
of the bands that you've listed I saw

Pulp (9:30 'Different Class' tour) A-mazing!
 Blur (9:30, Black Cat, Nation)
 Elastica (Black Cat)
 Lush (9:30)
 Curve (9:30 F Street - headliner)
 Inspiral Carpets (9:30)

Supergrass (after The Prodigy headlining at the HFS'Tival - two awesome shows back to back)

and many others, I purposely try to attend every British band that comes to the District.  Razorlight and Arctic Monkeys though are overrated IMO.

for the record I wasn't at the WUST Suede show ...     :(

bearman🐻

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 09:28:00 am »
I bet you never saw them...Inspiral Carpets circa 1991 was one of the most insane concert events of my life. I've never seen a band integrate lighting, slides shows and film so well into their music. It was just as intense as seeing Helmet in their prime. I'll never forget it as long as I live. My sister concurs, so at least I know I wasn't the only one. You just had to be there.

bearman🐻

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 09:39:00 am »
Sorry...I'm feeling rather nostalgic for some of these bands. 2 more that I always loved: Pop Will Eat Itself and Ned's Atomic Dustbin. People always tease me for being a groupie, but I have some great Ned's stories that I wouldn't trade for anything. My friend Colleen was a huge Ned's freak and she wasn't shy about trying to meet up with them. We hung out with Ned's about 4 or 5 times and it was always great. Such nice fellas.

The most depressing (and yet hilarious) story was when Ned's got stuck opening for Sponge in 1995 on their last US tour, even though 2 years earlier they were headlining the same venues and selling them out. Sony/Columbia totally screwed them with promotion on "brainbloodvolume", which isn't a horrible record. It was the perfect example of a label trying to "break" a band, instead they broke them up.

Anyway, after the show we went to a bar in Chicago called the Liar's Club and I was hanging out with Jon (the singer) and some guy walks in who looked really familiar. It was the bass player from Jesus Jones. He met some girl on tour, married her, and moved to Chicago. He told me that basically he was doing odd jobs...i.e. squirrel-proofing houses. And this was in 1995, it's not like they didn't have success. They sold a decent amount of records and made money. I don't know how musicians make a living today, I really don't.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 10:02:00 am »
Originally posted by bearman:
  I bet you never saw them...Inspiral Carpets circa 1991 was one of the most insane concert events of my life. I've never seen a band integrate lighting, slides shows and film so well into their music. It was just as intense as seeing Helmet in their prime. I'll never forget it as long as I live. My sister concurs, so at least I know I wasn't the only one. You just had to be there.
I have to concur as well, seeing them at the old 9:30 Club was definitely a sensory overload mindfuck with the visuals being crammed into such a small space, I think there were even warnings posted outside haha
 And the couple Helmet shows that I saw there in '91 were fucking amazing, how the hell did they become so goddamn lame so quickly after that?