Author Topic: Son of Commentary on Just Annouced  (Read 44903 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Son of Commentary on Just Annouced
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  i think this was mentioned before, but why do people post ny shows in here all the time.  i see a cool act or show or festival, and get excited that i might be able to go, then i read it's in new york.  six hours, one way to see a concert?  gas, food, lodging money?  ticket, drinks, merch money?  uhmmmm.....
not all the time, only ones that people might travel for.  lots of folks here will go to NYC for shows.  there are hundreds of shows a month in NYC, consider yourself lucky you get a filtered listing    :)  

people also post info about festivals that aren't in DC/VA/MD (or NYC), too - even if i can't go to a festival somewhere, i'd still like to hear about it.
<sig>

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #136 on: June 23, 2008, 11:00:00 pm »
  i think this was mentioned before, but why do people post ny shows in here all the time.  i see a cool act or show or festival, and get excited that i might be able to go, then i read it's in new york.  six hours, one way to see a concert?  gas, food, lodging money?  ticket, drinks, merch money?  uhmmmm.....
i agree with pretty much everything sweetie said above. also, quit being a drama queen - it doesn't take 6 hours to get to new york... not even close.
nothx

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2008, 11:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  also, quit being a drama queen
Just tell him to stop being a bitch. That's what I'd have said.

Relaxer

« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2008, 11:40:00 am »
I'm amazed that Rancid sold out the club so far in advance. I wouldn't have thought they'd sell it out in the first place, much less almost 2 months before the show. I figured they were pretty much done.
oword

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2008, 10:21:00 am »
Hercules & Love Affair tickets were surprisngly easy to get. No re-load necessary.
nothx

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2008, 12:44:00 pm »
still not sold out, fyi... i'm sure it will, eventually, but i would have bet that tix would be gone in the first two hours.

Originally posted by manimtired:

Originally posted by sweetcell:

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  wow

Gnarls Barkley w/ Hercules & Love Affair
 8/5/08
 930 Club

ON SALE TOMORROW!
OMFG.  SO THERE.  not sure if i'll stay for gnarls, can't say they've done much for me the first 3 times i saw them, although they have been known to move my feet at times... but THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SETH&CO FOR BRINGING US H&LA!!!  WOOHOOO!!!

i would have been curious to see how well H&LA would have sold on their own.  now the show will obviously sell out b/c of gnarls... next time? [/b]
you have very "questionable" taste in music.. [/b]
liking H&LA more than GB is questionable?  or are you taking issue with liking H&LA at all?  i make no qualms about that.  i like dancing, and they've put out the most danceable album in the past year.  i like their arrangements.  the vocal performances are solid.  etc.

next.
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »
Gnarls Barkley is the dumbest thing to happen to music since 80's hair bands.

and by questionable i believe he meant like..."you're fucking really gay for liking Hercules and the Love Affair you disco-dancing queenie."

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by Erinaceous Sonickus:

Well I think there is dumber stuff out there than Gnarles Barkley...  

There is some truth to referring to GB as Marvin Gaye with a sampler, however the first album was a little to hyperactive in general. The second is definitely  more miss than hit... I dig the song with the retro sixties feel, where Danger Mouse farts in the general direction of Mark Ronson.  With a sound that isn't as fake as conjured up on you know who's CD.

I'm all for the use of sampling, but would really like to hear what Danger Mouse could come up with having to rely on them so much.
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chulahoma:
  very nice! i got a pair in center orchestra row R.  not as good as your pull, but im just happy i got tickets.  last time i saw them was at the MSG theatre.  easily one of the best shows i have ever seen.
good write-up of last week's NYC show  in the Village Voice.  the article is kinda pretentious - even though the author points out that most SR write-ups are pretentious - but he does a good job of capturing how majestic a show it was.  will probably sound over the top to those who've never heard SR live, but take my word for it: he's spot-on.

can't wait for another dose.
<sig>

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:
 I'm all for the use of sampling, but would really like to hear what Danger Mouse could come up with having to rely on them so much.
Check out his work on Martina Topley-Bird's new album. It's kind of amazing, I love it.

ALSO: Gnarls Barkley is amazing. They kicked my ass at the Roots Picnic a couple weeks ago, and I've been telling people about them since. Seriously, it's amazing.

And I just might be the only one on here who really REALLY likes the new album. It's so diverse, musically, and his voice is unbelievable. I'm a fan of Cee-Lo's songwriting anyway, so...yeah.

(Yeah, I'm definitely surprised this didn't sell out quicker.)
Woof.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:

Originally posted by Erinaceous Sonickus:

Well I think there is dumber stuff out there than Gnarles Barkley...  

There is some truth to referring to GB as Marvin Gaye with a sampler, however the first album was a little to hyperactive in general. The second is definitely  more miss than hit... I dig the song with the retro sixties feel, where Danger Mouse farts in the general direction of Mark Ronson.  With a sound that isn't as fake as conjured up on you know who's CD.

I'm all for the use of sampling, but would really like to hear what Danger Mouse could come up with having to rely on them so much. [/b]
Well, I think the new Black Keys and Beck albums are something of an indication of what Danger Mouse can do without a sampler.  The Black Keys album is AMAZING.  And the songs that have been released from Beck's new album are amazing as well.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by ixkpd-bk:
 (Yeah, I'm definitely surprised this didn't sell out quicker.)
FYI, it hasn't sold out at all... tix still available.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »
gnarls barkley/herc&LA finally sold out... wow, that took a while.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by MyraEllen:
  How much was it to see PJ at the Verizon Center - $68 plus fees or something, right?  But EV on his own is somehow MORE expensive?  lame lame lame.
warner = smaller, so they need to charge more - and eddy still won't rake in the same amount as he did at verizon, despite it being a solo show (assuming take is split equally between band members, and i'm talking gross take in both cases).

Originally posted by samsfresh5:
 ...and I wonder how much of the time on stage will be spent talking about politics instead of playing songs.       :roll:    
little to none, if the PJ @ Verizon show is anything to go by.
<sig>

samsfresh5

« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »
  eddie vedder solo at warner.  

if you like pearl jam,  (YES)

or worship pearl jam, (YES) ((42 shows))

and have never seen him solo, (I have)

one of the nicest venues in dc.  (930 Club)

take your drinks to your seats four at a time if you like.  (930 Club  ...and seats? who sits a a rock show?)   :)  )

excellent staff, (of course 930 club   :D    ;)

Oh and sweetcell, I wouldn't base Eddie's tight lips at the DC show on much.. very uncharacteristic... usually he goes on, and on...