Author Topic: Son of Commentary on Just Annouced  (Read 44887 times)

lomein

Re: Son of Commentary on Just Annouced
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by lagas:
  Does anyone know when tickets for REM go on sale?
 Thanks
yeah, do we have general ticket prices for this show? like, is it going to be obscenely expensive or are lawn seats going to be about 40 bucks

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by lomein:

Thanks
yeah, do we have general ticket prices for this show? like, is it going to be obscenely expensive or are lawn seats going to be about 40 bucks [/b]
me three.. Kosmette and I were talking about this show the other day, wondering exactly what R.E.M. sets one back these days...
T.Rex

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »
Lawn tickets for Duran Duran (without any listed openers) are $40. So what does that imply the REM with Modest Mouse and the National lawn tickets will be?

Originally posted by kosmo:

Originally posted by lomein:

Thanks
yeah, do we have general ticket prices for this show? like, is it going to be obscenely expensive or are lawn seats going to be about 40 bucks [/b]
me three.. Kosmette and I were talking about this show the other day, wondering exactly what R.E.M. sets one back these days... [/b]

lomein

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »
the only date for this tour (w/modest mouse and the national) that's listed on ticketmaster so far is in Chicago and tickets are $37.50 - $85.00. aren't ticket prices usually pretty standard across the board?
 I only ask because I heard from a questionably reliable source that lawn seats were going to be $80 and I'm hoping this is not the case...

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »
REM is 40.60 Euro in Paris (or that might be Nice). Based on how strong the Euro is - Id assume were looking at ticket prices in the $60 range.

Im a member of their fanclub and theyve not yet announced any presale info for any of the US shows.
HeyLa

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »
I guess I should reserve judgement until I hear the studio "Accerlerate" in full but I heard most of it during a live simulcast from a SXSW show.

Has R.E.M.'s batting average dipped below .500?  Have they released more below average albums than above average ones?

My suggestion is that not ALL of the early IRS ones were "great."  "Fables of the Reconstruction?" I'm looking at you.

After "Automatic for the People" it got pretty dire.  I'd even say "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" was a good one.  But from the songs I've heard of this new one, it just seems like totally generic R.E.M.  Even "Reveal" and "Around The Sun" had one or two good songs on it.  Nothing, in my opinion, is memorable from the live versions of "Accelerate" songs.  And that new single "Supernatually Superserious" or whatever?  At what point does the melody kick in?  That song is like a one of those bar/computer memory games.  You hear the song and once it's over you couldn't remember anything about it.

Brian

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »
I don't think you can use the price of something in Europe as an accurate gauge of what it will cost in America.

Hey Brian, I've heard all of Accelerate, and I think it's a winner. And I've never even really been an REM fan.

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  REM is 40.60 Euro in Paris (or that might be Nice). Based on how strong the Euro is - Id assume were looking at ticket prices in the $60 range.

Im a member of their fanclub and theyve not yet announced any presale info for any of the US shows.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »
It was the only thing I could find at the moment. I had heard somewhere else it would be priced in the $60 range. And besides, I live in NYC. Im sure our prices will reflect the same prices people pay in Europe, if not more.

And I happen to love the new REM album on first listen.

Also, considering that Duran Duran, The Cure and others are pricing that high (if not much higher), I would not doubt that REM prices will be in the same range. Yaz is playing for $65 at Terminal 5.  

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  I don't think you can use the price of something in Europe as an accurate gauge of what it will cost in America.

Hey Brian, I've heard all of Accelerate, and I think it's a winner. And I've never even really been an REM fan.

Originally posted by xneverwherex:

[/b]
HeyLa

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »
The R.E.M. batting average discussion is a decent one. I can't just go "yay" or "nay," so I have to put a few as "meh" like ties in old-school hockey.

Murmur - Yay!
 Reckoning - Yay!
 Life's Rich Pageant - Yay!
 Fables Of The Reconstruction - Meh.
 Document - Yay!
 Green - Yay!
 Out Of Time - Meh.
 AFTP - Yay!
 Monster - Yay!
 New Adventures In Hifi - Meh.
 Up - Nay.
 Reveal - Nay.
 Around The Sun - Double Nay.
 Accelerate - Meh.

7-3-4

Certainly not a good trend of late, but for my money, still more greats then bombs. My liking Accelerate might have something to do with me liking Monster, of which, Accelerate is basically "II: Electric Boogaloo."

Venerable Bede

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, gay agenda ILLUMINATI:
  The R.E.M. batting average discussion is a decent one. I can't just go "yay" or "nay," so I have to put a few as "meh" like ties in old-school hockey.

Green - Yay!
 Out Of Time - Meh.

i don't know what it is about those two albums.  i far more enjoy out of time than green, even though, on an individual basis, i like more songs on green than out of time.  maybe i am just so enthralled with texarkana and country feedback (ok, and near wild heaven) that i have been able to successfully block out those other three collaborative songs on that album.  as for green, i don't know- i've never been entirely comfortable with listening to the entire album, but i'd rather just pick out songs from the album and listen to them separately.
OU812

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2008, 08:40:00 am »
Originally posted by Julian, gay agenda ILLUMINATI:

Green - Yah!
 Out Of Time - Meh.

I have to agree with Julian on this one.  "Country Feedback" is one of their best but I think "Losing My Religion" and the rest of the album is really overrated.  Maybe I just think that "Radio Song" should have been the big hit off that record.  Not "Losing My Religion" or "Shiny Happy People."

I really like "Green."  "I Remember California"  "Hairshirt" (especially the first line.)  After "Green" they sort of lost their "mystique" which happens to every band, I guess.  "World Leader Pretend" may be one of the best things they ever did.  I'm not sure if they knew how good they were back then.  

Brian

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2008, 08:49:00 am »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
 I have to agree with Julian on this one.  "Country Feedback" is one of their best but I think "Losing My Religion" and the rest of the album is really overrated.  Maybe I just think that "Radio Song" should have been the big hit off that record.  Not "Losing My Religion" or "Shiny Happy People."

I really like "Green."  "I Remember California"  "Hairshirt" (especially the first line.)  After "Green" they sort of lost their "mystique" which happens to every band, I guess.  "World Leader Pretend" may be one of the best things they ever did.  I'm not sure if they knew how good they were back then.  

Brian
wtf is going on around here?  have brian's meds finally kicked in?  where's the anger?  "out of time" came out in 1991... "green" in 1988.
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2008, 09:20:00 am »
Originally posted by Brian Wallace:
 My suggestion is that not ALL of the early IRS ones were "great."  "Fables of the Reconstruction?" I'm looking at you.

And we're looking right back. My favorite REM album, and the only one I would even remotely consider listening to nowadays.

I still remembe the afternoon I brought home Fables, Meat is Murder and a Matilda Bay box of wine. What a day that was.
oword

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2008, 09:42:00 am »
"Losing My Religion" really exposed R.E.M. to the "That One Song" crowd, of which most of the meaning of the song went right over their head.

I stopped going to R.E.M. shows after that song came out because they had became a bona fide arena act at that point...  at the time their ticket prices were rapidly raising, and i couldn't stomach a bunch of  lawyers, business exec and their significant others  waiting around to hear "Their Song".
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2008, 10:30:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  "Losing My Religion" really exposed R.E.M. to the "That One Song" crowd, of which most of the meaning of the song went right over their head.

I stopped going to R.E.M. shows after that song came out because they had became a bona fide arena act at that point...
They were a bona fide arena act in 1989, well before LMR came out.