Author Topic: Son of Commentary on Just Annouced  (Read 44897 times)

Darth Ed

Re: Son of Commentary on Just Annouced
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2008, 11:22:00 am »
Fans have been arguing the relative merits of Fables on the Internet since almost before there was an Internet. Before there were web sites and forums, there were Usenet news groups. And before there were Usenet news groups, there were mailing lists. The R.E.M. mailing list came out of a list server from MIT, I believe, and it was called Murmurs. Back in '89 or '90, a raging flamewar over Fables took place on that mailing list, and the echoes of it would be seen years later in people's .signature files. In that spirit, I'll just say

FABLES RULES!

(Yes, I'm ancient, at least in Internet terms.)

Also, New Adventures in Hi-Fi is a vastly underappreciated album. I urge anyone who thinks it's "meh" to give it another listen. It's the perfect anti-pop album, and I think it's maybe R.E.M.'s best post-'80s album. I won't defend any of R.E.M.'s albums that came after it (although I think they each have a bright spot or two), but I'll defend that album with my dying breath.

As for the new album, I'm pretty excited about it. What I've heard of it has been very good, better than their recent albums. I'm not too crazy about "Supernatural Superserious", but "Living Well Is the Best Revenge" kicks ass. I love the Vincent Moon video.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2008, 11:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
   The R.E.M. mailing list came out of a list server from MIT, I believe, and it was called Murmurs.
I think it was just called "Murmur", but I may be wrong.  You're definitely right about the MIT part though.  Good memory  :)

FABLES RULES!

Indeed.

Also, New Adventures in Hi-Fi is a vastly underappreciated album. I urge anyone who thinks it's "meh" to give it another listen. It's the perfect anti-pop album, and I think it's maybe R.E.M.'s best post-'80s album. I won't defend any of R.E.M.'s albums that came after it (although I think they each have a bright spot or two), but I'll defend that album with my dying breath.
Same here.  I blew this one off shortly after it was released, but went back to it a few years later and was kind of surprised how good it was.  I'd call this their last great record.  Hell - I might call it their last good record.

I've been avoiding the new record until it gets released next week.  I've heard nothing but good things though, overall.

Darth Ed

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

The R.E.M. mailing list came out of a list server from MIT, I believe, and it was called Murmurs.
I think it was just called "Murmur", but I may be wrong.  You're definitely right about the MIT part though.  Good memory       :)     [/b]
You're right! Murmur was the mailing list. Murmurs.com was (still is) a fan web site that came later.

Note to The Director: Your mailbox is full, so I can't reply to your PM.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, gay agenda ILLUMINATI:
  65 Days Of Static
 @ Black Cat
 4/29/2009

From Pollstar. Kinda weird they have an entire spring 2009 tour already planned out.
isn't the lead singer scheduled to be in rehab right about then?

very poor planning.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2008, 09:43:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
 I just can't imagine a Stars of the Lid show. I'd be asleep w/in 15 minutes.
the organizers of the philly show stated that you could bring a pillow and crash out on the floor... just sayin'

Originally posted by miss pretentious:
 I would gladly take the Jens tickets of anyone looking to hit up Marnie now.
aren't most tickets for BC shows will-call?
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2008, 09:46:00 am »
Yes, but you can still show up and do the exchange with someone pretty easily.  In fact, I think you can pick tickets up prior to the show, though I may be wrong.

aren't most tickets for BC shows will-call? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Relaxer

« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2008, 09:47:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

Originally posted by Relaxer:
 I just can't imagine a Stars of the Lid show. I'd be asleep w/in 15 minutes.
the organizers of the philly show stated that you could bring a pillow and crash out on the floor... just sayin'

aren't most tickets for BC shows will-call? [/b]
Oh fabulous. Because there's nothing more I want to do than lie down on the floor of the Iota Cafe. Maybe after my nap I can wash up and have a drink from the toilet.
oword

« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2008, 09:48:00 am »
Every advance Black Cat ticket I've ever bought  I bought at the club, and they gave me an actual ticket.

aren't most tickets for BC shows will-call? [/QB][/QUOTE]

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2008, 10:17:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Every advance Black Cat ticket I've ever bought  I bought at the club, and they gave me an actual ticket.
ah, thanks.  i've only ever bought advance tickets online, where will-call is the only option.
<sig>

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2008, 10:32:00 am »

ah, thanks.  i've only ever bought advance tickets online, where will-call is the only option. [/b]
You can also get them at any TicketMaster outlet.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2008, 10:36:00 am »
thanks again.

speaking of advance tickets for BC shows, what are people's thoughts on tom morello/nightwatchman?  quick sell-out (i.e. buy online), or i can wait to buy on tuesday when i go to the BC for jens?  how well-attended was his show last year at java? (or was it iota?)
<sig>

« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2008, 10:40:00 am »
It's cash only though. No running up your credit card miles on Black Cat tickets bought at the door. The $0 service fee is very cool.

ah, thanks.  i've only ever bought advance tickets online, where will-call is the only option. [/b]

Darth Ed

« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »
 As for the new (R.E.M.) album, I'm pretty excited about it. What I've heard of it has been very good, better than their recent albums. I'm not too crazy about "Supernatural Superserious", but "Living Well Is the Best Revenge" kicks ass. I love the Vincent Moon video.
This video as well as several others have now become available at

http://blogotheque.net/R-E-M  

If you're a fan, definitely check out these videos! (Tip: Look for the "ipod" links if you want to download these videos.)

azaghal1981

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »
Jens is on wednesday.
احمد

Sage 703

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »
  thanks again.

speaking of advance tickets for BC shows, what are people's thoughts on tom morello/nightwatchman?  quick sell-out (i.e. buy online), or i can wait to buy on tuesday when i go to the BC for jens?  how well-attended was his show last year at java? (or was it iota?)
Sold out quickly at JJ.  Staff there still think it is one of the best shows they've ever had.