Author Topic: Morrissey on Bowie  (Read 6085 times)

ratioci nation

Morrissey on Bowie
« on: March 18, 2004, 04:27:00 pm »
I am sure Rhett has lots of ideas about what the subject matter of this thread would be.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/03-15-2004/0002128225&EDATE=

Morrissey on Bowie in upcoming GQ article -

"(He is) not the person he was.  He is no longer David Bowie at all.  Now he gives people what he thinks will make them happy, and they're yawning their heads off.  And by doing that, he is not relevant.  He was only relevant by accident."

Medusa

Re: Morrissey on Bowie
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 04:34:00 pm »
Wow ... I await this issue ... I wonder if the pictures of Morrissey will be as raw as the ones in the recent Index.

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 04:46:00 pm »
sounds like one queen is getting pissy at another...

Morrissey on Bowie in upcoming GQ article -

"(He is) not the person he was.  He is no longer David Bowie at all.  Now he gives people what he thinks will make them happy, and they're yawning their heads off.  And by doing that, he is not relevant.  He was only relevant by accident." [/QB][/QUOTE]

Bags

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 05:29:00 pm »
Disclaimer -- I LOVE Morrissey.  "Hatful of Hollow" is one of my desert island discs.

But what on earth makes him think he's been relevant in ages?  He hasn't.  He's put out a couple good solo albums and a couple bad solo albums, but his impact was back in the days and innovation of Morrissey/Marr.

I know he's got a new album coming out, and with all his posturing, it'd better be good.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 05:31:00 pm »
Um, posturing has been Morrissey's schtick for 20 years.

Bags

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 05:34:00 pm »
Yeah, but when he was doing something, I was better with it....

ggw

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 05:49:00 pm »
Morrissey is "curating" the next Meltdown Festival.  Allegedly, he has convinced the New York Dolls (at least those still living) to reunite for a one-off performance at the festival.

mankie

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 10:57:00 am »
Don't all entertainers try to give people what they think will make them happy? Isn't that basically the definition of an entertainer?

ggw

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 11:00:00 am »
Originally posted by Ball bags:
  Don't all entertainers try to give people what they think will make them happy? Isn't that basically the definition of an entertainer?
No. That's called a prostitute.

mankie

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 11:22:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by Ball bags:
No. That's called a prostitute. [/b]
No, I think you mean politician.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 11:24:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Morrissey is "curating" the next Meltdown Festival.  Allegedly, he has convinced the New York Dolls (at least those still living) to reunite for a one-off performance at the festival.
when and where?  i wonder if scarlett will be there
   :D
T.Rex

Medusa

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 11:29:00 am »
In London this June.  :)  

Details are here:

http://www.nme.com/news/107858.htm

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

bearman🐻

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 02:17:00 pm »
I love Morrissey too, but he's calling the kettle black. Bowie is still Bowie...whether or not you like his most recent stuff. "Earthling" still kicks ass.

The best Morrissey memory I have is when I was in Key West on vacation in November 1997...I was there for a few days, and my friend I was hanging out with read in the paper that Morrissey was playing 2 nights later (our last night there) and so we asked the concierge if there were tickets available. It was about a 250-seat theater (at the most) at the San Carlos Institute (a museum dedicated to Cubans emigrating to the US). We were shocked that in fact tickets WERE available. So the night of the show we were treated to a dialog by the museum curator (let's call him Mr. San Carlos) and they made us sing the American and Cuban National anthems. Very bizarre. Imagine a bunch of die-hards clutching gladiolas and wearing a mopey expression while Mr. San Carlos is singing his heart out. Then he said, "AND NOW...it is my pleasure to introduce to you...MORRISSON!!!" Needless to say, people were in hysterics...the show did kick ass though, and the encore of "Shoplifters of the World Unite" ended very abruptly when about 25 shrieking Moz-heads rushed the stage. Morrissey was whisked off that stage faster than you can say "celibacy" (or "denial" for that matter). Great concert, though, one of the most memorable I've ever seen. And such an intimate venue was truly what made it so much fun. I hope the Mozzer comes back around. I'm looking forward to the new record.

Bags

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 02:22:00 pm »
fantastic story, bunnyman.

bearman🐻

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 02:32:00 pm »
Thanks Bags...another great memory is at the first 9:30 show in 2000 (I think) when the fan climbed over the balcony railing, jumped onto the PA, and then jumped OVER a bouncer and almost managed to hug Moz...that was pretty fun to watch.