Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1412794 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #2565 on: November 19, 2009, 08:36:04 pm »
the way that the french won was a disgrace.  that goal should not have counted - how come no one here has said anything in favor of instant replay?!?  that would solve the problem.  even *baseball* has replay for home-runs - i.e. scoring plays.  i understand that there is a tradition to defend blah blah blah, and every single call shouldn't be subject to video review, but a game shouldn't be decided on the ref's inability to see all things at all times.

quite frankly if an Irish player had done it I probably wouldn't have cared that much......

i heart brennser... a level-headed fan.  or maybe it's the hangover talking :P
<sig>

Barcelona

« Reply #2566 on: November 30, 2009, 08:46:31 am »
FC Barcelona 1-0 Real Madrid
Ronaldo, keep trying.

hutch

« Reply #2567 on: December 02, 2009, 06:19:44 pm »
France loses the top seeding they were supposed to have as of just a week ago to Netherlands..

I'd hate to be a top seed and have either France or Portugal in my group.. I'll tell you that..

stu47

« Reply #2568 on: December 03, 2009, 12:35:33 am »
why do I see a Portugal, Brazil, Ivory Coast draw in the US future.......

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2569 on: December 03, 2009, 05:51:23 pm »
19 hours to go before the WC drawing: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/livedraw
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #2570 on: December 03, 2009, 06:24:08 pm »
the way that the french won was a disgrace.  that goal should not have counted - how come no one here has said anything in favor of instant replay?!?  that would solve the problem.  even *baseball* has replay for home-runs - i.e. scoring plays.  i understand that there is a tradition to defend blah blah blah, and every single call shouldn't be subject to video review, but a game shouldn't be decided on the ref's inability to see all things at all times.
I think if a sport chooses not to have replay because of tradition, then they have no right to complain when a call goes wrong.

The most ridiculous thing out of this entire story is someone in FIFA wants to punish Henry over this. Holy shit, your guys missed the call. Players in every sport ever commit some random minor penalty from time to time, and if its caught, fine, call it. But when its not, you can't go back and place the competitive blame on the player. Imagine if football fans wanted a defensive back fined for a non-called pass interference penalty instead of being mad at the referee who missed the call. What a simply unconscionable position to take.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2571 on: December 03, 2009, 06:57:57 pm »
I think if a sport chooses not to have replay because of tradition, then they have no right to complain when a call goes wrong.

that's frikken brilliant.  great observation.

The most ridiculous thing out of this entire story is someone in FIFA wants to punish Henry over this.

i haven't heard that, but that would indeed be unconscionable.

in the 2006 WC final, there was a long delay between zidane's head-butt and the red card.  i remember reading/hearing that the only reason he got ejected was b/c they kept replaying the hit on the giant screens  - the refs saw the replays, and not the hit in real-time.  sounds like the french have the most to lose from the introduction of instant replay :P
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2572 on: December 04, 2009, 09:50:31 am »
the official shouldnt need instant replay to make the correct call there, and tradition doesnt obsolve him of the duty to get blantant handball calls correct. plus henry was offsides to begin with

by the same logic, fifa should expect complaints if ireland (or bosnia-herzegovina) were hard done in a seeded playoff that was supposed to be unseeded...
o/\o

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2573 on: December 04, 2009, 02:46:07 pm »
why do I see a Portugal, Brazil, Ivory Coast draw in the US future.......
way off. wow.

i dont think this could have worked out better
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2574 on: December 04, 2009, 03:50:47 pm »
i dont think this could have worked out better

For England, no.  They must be stoked.  I'm a little worried that the US folks are overlooking Slovenia.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2575 on: December 04, 2009, 04:06:36 pm »
slovenia arent going to be the easiest win in the world, but they are certainly in the bottom 3 of the other euro pot. certainly an easier match than any team in the u.s.'s last wc group
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2576 on: December 06, 2009, 02:17:22 pm »
Sun Headline after World Cup draw:

England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks

(emphasis not added, that's exactly how it looked)
27>34

hutch

« Reply #2577 on: December 12, 2009, 03:22:38 pm »
Tevez update: seems to be finding his form.

Tevez moving may have worked out best for both ManU and City.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2578 on: December 12, 2009, 04:18:22 pm »
after today i cant decide if i'm more convinced that everton/landon donovan is a good fit or impressed that they got a point at the bridge. too bad man u couldnt capitalize.
o/\o

Barcelona

« Reply #2579 on: December 18, 2009, 08:37:15 am »
2009/10 UEFA Champions League first knockout round draw

different calendar this year, not nice, but anyway, that's what we have, first games on the 16/17 and 23/24 February. Return games  9/10 and 16/17 of March.

VfB Stuttgart (GER) v FC Barcelona (ESP)
Olympiacos FC (GRE) v FC Girondins de Bordeaux (FRA)
FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) v Chelsea FC (ENG)
FC Bayern München (GER) v ACF Fiorentina (ITA)
PFC CSKA Moskva (RUS) v Sevilla FC (ESP)
Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) v Real Madrid CF (ESP)
FC Porto (POR) v Arsenal FC (ENG)
AC Milan (ITA) v Manchester United FC (ENG)

predictions
Barcelona, Bordeaux, Chelsea, Bayern, Sevilla, Lyon, Porto and Manchester Utd.