Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1364420 times)

hutch

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #4290 on: June 27, 2016, 04:21:42 pm »
whatever....

Argentina and Chile have played 4 times in the past 12 months.. Argentina has won twice.. and there have been two 0-0 draws which were then decided by PKs and Chile won

But definitely Argentina is a team in crisis... losing final after final at important tournaments.. its a downer for sure... combined with the football association being in dissaray things are not good

I think Messi said it best after the game.. something like "I try and try but its just not happening...."

Argentina will be back.. maybe its time for the older players that have been unable to perform on the big stage to step down.. not just Messi.. Aguero (pains me), Higuain, Mascherano (he has performed but he is slowing down), Di Maria (too many injuries)....

time to try out guys like Lamela, Dybala maybe even that Argentine striker that plays in Italy that I can't remember his name...

Argentina doesn't want to go to the World Cup and lose yet again with the same players/setup

I don't blame Messi though... its a collective problem.... I thought Martino would make it happen but no.. he did far more with far less when he coached Paraguay

at this point there is a collective loser mentality with Argentina... and the more you lose the big games the harder it gets..

Definitely a sad day.. I'm far sadder for Messi than Argentina...

hutch

« Reply #4291 on: June 27, 2016, 04:22:19 pm »
Icardi

hutch

« Reply #4292 on: June 27, 2016, 04:35:23 pm »
oh and congrats lagas!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4293 on: June 28, 2016, 09:55:13 am »
so the english are now averaging one brexit a week.

edit: some funny reactions right here... like "S&P just downgraded England football to LOL" ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:27:42 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #4294 on: June 28, 2016, 10:35:19 am »
it is pretty unbelievable.. Iceland has 330,000 people!

lagas

« Reply #4295 on: June 28, 2016, 08:18:33 pm »
oh and congrats lagas!

Thanks hutch, Argentina had everything to win it, especially after that clown of a ref ejected Díaz, but when he compensated it with Rojo's ejection, I thought we had a chance. And as the game went on we started playing with more heart than legs. Finally, during penalties, Pizzi chose players who had no history shooting for Chile, so Chiquito had no way to know where they were going to kick it. That was brilliant.

The whole Messi retiring from the national team thing is difficult to watch, and after reading Argentina newspapers I realize this has reached national level crisis. He's still 29, and though is true losing so many finals would send anyone to the shrink, I think it should be Martino the one who should leave (and Higuaín for that matter, goddamnit how can he miss those chances!)

Anyways, best of luck next time.
zorra

hutch

« Reply #4296 on: June 28, 2016, 08:48:43 pm »
oh and congrats lagas!

Thanks hutch, Argentina had everything to win it, especially after that clown of a ref ejected Díaz, but when he compensated it with Rojo's ejection, I thought we had a chance. And as the game went on we started playing with more heart than legs. Finally, during penalties, Pizzi chose players who had no history shooting for Chile, so Chiquito had no way to know where they were going to kick it. That was brilliant.

The whole Messi retiring from the national team thing is difficult to watch, and after reading Argentina newspapers I realize this has reached national level crisis. He's still 29, and though is true losing so many finals would send anyone to the shrink, I think it should be Martino the one who should leave (and Higuaín for that matter, goddamnit how can he miss those chances!)

Anyways, best of luck next time.

thanks..

I knew in the 70th minute we would lose.... anyways... I've actually grown a lot because unlike most Argentines I think 3 major finals in 3 years , even if we lost, is something...

It is indeed a national crisis! Nothing more important than "la seleccion"!

lagas

« Reply #4297 on: June 29, 2016, 06:46:23 am »
If you want to understand what is going on in Argentina, this column might help you:

"It was 10 years ago that Messi made his World Cup debut. He was hailed as the great hope for a country that had already won two World Cups, a country in which football is central to notions of national identity. ?Football has resonance everywhere,? [Ezequiel Fernández] Moores says. 'But more here in Argentina, because it really is the one area in which we are a recognized force in the world.'"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jun/29/lionel-messi-retirement-argentina-football-team
zorra

vansmack

« Reply #4298 on: June 29, 2016, 05:13:09 pm »

Leicester has 332,000.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4299 on: June 29, 2016, 05:20:21 pm »

Leicester has 332,000.

none of the Leicester players are from Leicester.  100% of the Iceland players are from Iceland.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4300 on: July 01, 2016, 12:24:49 pm »
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #4301 on: July 01, 2016, 12:29:27 pm »
buh ha ha ha

that is good.

i needed a laugh.