« on: October 16, 2003, 03:45:00 pm »
Does anybody use iTunes?

What's your opinion?

They launched the Windows version today:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Bags

Re: iTunes
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 03:50:00 pm »
I use iTunes and I love it.  Never had a problem, it's easy drag and drop, you can reorganize in a bajillion different ways, and the iTunes database (CDDB) for automatically filling in CD information boggles the mind -- they even have CMJ monthly samplers and obscure indie albums that have been out of print for 10 years.

That being said, I have no idea how it's different from musicmatch or ephpod, I don't know if there will bugs with the windows version (that seems to happen a lot when they first try a version in the different operating enviromment), etc.  And I'm sure some real techie audiophiles have other issues I don't even know (or care) about.

raebyddet

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 04:19:00 pm »
I use it on the mac. I downloaded the PC version and it is exactly the same. I think iTunes is great. A long time ago I messed around with some other music software but it just wasn't as good. I don't care what you think of apple, if you have digital music, give iTunes a try. Its free, so why not.

Also even if you don't buy anything, check out the store, you can see what they have to offer and preview songs with out signing up for an account.

markie

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 04:21:00 pm »
I connect my laptop up to my my hifi with a long cable and spend most of my time listening to Cds I have ripped or the radio (the radio normally works very well in itunes, woxy right now infact)..... Jadetree taught me this.

iTunes is great for creating playlists and ripping CDs, that way it serves as a great jukebox.

It really wouldnt be worth it without an ipod though. Otherwise I would have probably stayed in the dark ages with my 3 disc CD player. I was originally very sceptical about the ipod. I thought it was a gimmick. But now I cannot imagine life without the ipod . Being able to play 1000 or more songs at random is like having your own personal radio. Plus what surprised me is that it also sounds better than my old personal CD player.

I really cannot fault itunes in any way. It is a great way of doing things. Its so easy and intuitive.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 04:42:00 pm »
i like iTunes for it's ability to share libraries between machines...  Once it gets built in LAME mp3 encoding it will better.
T.Rex

godsshoeshine

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 04:53:00 pm »
itunes is great.  i actually bought my first computer 2 years ago (g3 ibook), so for digital music i began on itunes.  i tried to use winamp or something, and confused the heck out of me.  i have had problems getting it to communicate with the firewire cd burner, but i am sure that's more of a settings issue.
o/\o

Bags

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 04:59:00 pm »
I'm with you 100%.  The only frustration with the iPod is how quickly they come out with new and improved versions.  My 30 GB is just a year old, and there's already been TWO upgrades, including the latest 40 GB which is selling for the same amount I paid for my 30.

It's amazing how you can learn to complain that you only get 4400 songs...   ;)

Originally posted by The Pariah:
 iTunes is great for creating playlists and ripping CDs, that way it serves as a great jukebox.

It really wouldnt be worth it without an ipod though. Otherwise I would have probably stayed in the dark ages with my 3 disc CD player. I was originally very sceptical about the ipod. I thought it was a gimmick. But now I cannot imagine life without the ipod .

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 05:00:00 pm »
  I connect my laptop up to my my hifi with a long cable and spend most of my time listening to Cds I have ripped or the radio (the radio normally works very well in itunes, woxy right now infact)..... Jadetree taught me this.\
This is such 90's technology.  It's all about Wifi (wireless fidelity) not hifi.  And I would expect nothing less from an Apple guy.  Tivo has been sharing music files on a network for 8 months now.

I have the Wifi setup so the Tivo plays the music off of every machine on the network through the stereo without hooking up a long cable to the stereo.  If you have satellite TV, the Tivo with a Wifi hookup is a must for recording multiple TV shows and using your stereo to listen to music (including internet feeds) off of your laptop that wifey is using to study or harrass board members all at the same time.

At 99 cents a song and $10 an album, used CD stores are still a better alternative to iTunes.  And I get to choose the encoding I want for my music when I rip it, rather than letting iTunes choose for me.
27>34

raebyddet

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 05:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 I have the Wifi setup so the Tivo plays the music off of every machine on the network through the stereo without hooking up a long cable to the stereo.[/QB]
Tivo is good for playlists. I find it a bit cumbersome for browsing through artists or cd's though. I guess it depends on how much music you have. If I want to find an artist in the T's it takes a very long time to get there.

But I do have to say it is nice to be able to stream the music via wifi, however you loose the control factor you have with iTunes.

markie

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 05:19:00 pm »
there are gadgets available for personal computers that allow you to stream via wifi or blutooth music to other devices including T.V.s and stereos around your house.

With some there is a loss in quality.

But personally, the long cable is fine. If I had aiport and a wireless network thenhaving the laptop completely free of cables would be cool, but not $400 cool.

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 05:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by raebyddet:
  Tivo is good for playlists. I find it a bit cumbersome for browsing through artists or cd's though. I guess it depends on how much music you have. If I want to find an artist in the T's it takes a very long time to get there.

But I do have to say it is nice to be able to stream the music via wifi, however you loose the control factor you have with iTunes.
Tivo hears you and didn't realize what it had until it came out.  There is talk of a remote with a small keyboard for working the Home MEdia Option available soon.

A far as playing individual CD's create a playlist when you rip the CD, Artist name first, then the album.  Problem solved for Smackette (who had the same complaint).
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2003, 05:57:00 pm »
  there are gadgets available for personal computers that allow you to stream via wifi or blutooth music to other devices including T.V.s and stereos around your house.

With some there is a loss in quality.

But personally, the long cable is fine. If I had aiport and a wireless network thenhaving the laptop completely free of cables would be cool, but not $400 cool.
$400 for a wireless network?  That's absurd.  What do you have, an apple or something?  Oh wait, you do.  

If they would stop keeping their equipment proprietary they could sell licenses and create competition in the market then their equipment wouldn't be so expensive.  We have a 802.11b/g network (54mbps) with three wireless network cards (the damn X-box can't use wireless otherwise it would be four) for under $120.  

And that is why you think iTunes is so great.  Because better, inexpensive alternatives are not so inexpensive for you.
27>34

raebyddet

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 06:03:00 pm »
 Tivo hears you and didn't realize what it had until it came out.  There is talk of a remote with a small keyboard for working the Home MEdia Option available soon.

A far as playing individual CD's create a playlist when you rip the CD, Artist name first, then the album.  Problem solved for Smackette (who had the same complaint). [/QB]
I didn't know there was talk of a keyboard, that is very cool, and will help a lot.

Yeah I find that creating a playlist for the cd works, but its an extra step to have to take. I'm really not complaining, I like the feature a lot, its way better then running a cord.

ratioci nation

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2003, 06:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by raebyddet:
  I didn't know there was talk of a keyboard, that is very cool, and will help a lot.

Yeah I find that creating a playlist for the cd works, but its an extra step to have to take. I'm really not complaining, I like the feature a lot, its way better then running a cord.
running a cord is so hard in a palace like yours

raebyddet

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2003, 06:10:00 pm »
 If they would stop keeping their equipment proprietary they could sell licenses and create competition in the market then their equipment wouldn't be so expensive.  We have a 802.11b/g network (54mbps) with three wireless network cards (the damn X-box can't use wireless otherwise it would be four) for under $120.  
 [/QB]
I believe that the only thing you have to buy specifically from Apple is the air port card. The card works on the 802.11b standard. (Extreme is different not sure about that.) Once you have that you should be able to use access points other than the Air Port.

I have heard of people using the air port card with a linksys access point. That dramatically reduces the price for wireless access.

I have yet to try this. But I am thinking about maybe trying it eventually.