Author Topic: Justin Timberlake roll call  (Read 6621 times)

saco

Re: Justin Timberlake roll call
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 10:43:00 am »
Of course at its lowest level its about supply and demand, but if scalpers were not involved more fans would get tickets.  The difference is the "professional broker" as you like to call them, are adding a middle man to a scenario that doesnt call for one.  To stick with your grocery scenario, do you think its OK for "professional brokers" to buy all the milk at safeway and sell it outside for 5, 10, 20 times what safeway sold it to them for?  Of course milk is a little more important then justin timberlake tickets, (to some perhaps) but pick the commodity, why is one price gouging, but the other acceptable practice?  And we all are aware this topic has been debated ad nausem on this site, and your friendly forumites who are 100% capitalist will agree with you, but a "professional broker" IMHO is inserting themselves into a transaction they have no business being a part of.

nkotb

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 10:53:00 am »
Of course it's gouging, unnecessary and shitty.

But people are willing to pay it, because the product is scarce.  If there were a milk shortage, and I was selling gallon's out of my trunk for 5 times the cost, you bet people would be buying it.

If you want to stop scalping, stop paying the scalpers.  Until that happens, it's just a fact of concert-going life.

Originally posted by saco:
  Of course at its lowest level its about supply and demand, but if scalpers were not involved more fans would get tickets.  The difference is the "professional broker" as you like to call them, are adding a middle man to a scenario that doesnt call for one.  To stick with your grocery scenario, do you think its OK for "professional brokers" to buy all the milk at safeway and sell it outside for 5, 10, 20 times what safeway sold it to them for?  Of course milk is a little more important then justin timberlake tickets, (to some perhaps) but pick the commodity, why is one price gouging, but the other acceptable practice?  And we all are aware this topic has been debated ad nausem on this site, and your friendly forumites who are 100% capitalist will agree with you, but a "professional broker" IMHO is inserting themselves into a transaction they have no business being a part of.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 11:03:00 am »
Shit....there's a milk shortage?  I better get to the store.  My little ones love their milkie at wakey wakey and bed time.

ggw

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 11:03:00 am »
I had a friend who was a ticket broker.  He also ran a Ticketmaster outlet.  He was most definitely not getting tickets "the EXACT same way everybody else does."  At 10:00 AM he was printing out tickets like mad and keeping the best seats for himself for resale.

Online, scalpers use programs to circumvent the security codes, and its not hard to get around address and credit card restrictions.

And then there are the mom & pop scalpers who just buy extra tickets for popular shows so that they can hawk them on craigslist.

nkotb

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 11:05:00 am »
I've got Vitamin D, Vitamin D here!  Only $50 a pint!  

Originally posted by who the fuck are you?:
  Shit....there's a milk shortage?  I better get to the store.  My little ones love their milkie at wakey wakey and bed time.

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 11:18:00 am »
I would like to point out that soy milk is an option.

With the shit that corporate dairy farms put into their milk cows, it's best not to buy your milk from your local Giant or Safeway, anyway.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 11:19:00 am »
If you want to stop scalping, stop paying the scalpers. Until that happens, it's just a fact of concert-going life.
well, there are things that ticket services and venue operators can do to limit scalping - which wasn't done this time.  dunno if you were around for the foos show at 930, but scalping was definitely limited by bracelets and will-call.

STDs are also a fact of life, but there are things you can do to limit their impact and maximize your enjoyment of said life  :)

I've got Vitamin D, Vitamin D here! Only $50 a pint!  
is that street-lingo for something i'm not aware of?  :)
<sig>

Guiny

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 11:25:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotb:
   If there were a milk shortage, and I was selling gallon's out of my trunk for 5 times the cost, you bet people would be buying it.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

I hope your trunk has a refrigerator in it.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2006, 12:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I had a friend who was a ticket broker.  He also ran a Ticketmaster outlet.  He was most definitely not getting tickets "the EXACT same way everybody else does."  At 10:00 AM he was printing out tickets like mad and keeping the best seats for himself for resale.

Online, scalpers use programs to circumvent the security codes, and its not hard to get around address and credit card restrictions.

And then there are the mom & pop scalpers who just buy extra tickets for popular shows so that they can hawk them on craigslist.
Yup.  And obviously, most of you guys did NOT see that ticket scalping article that appeared in Rolling Stone (I think it was around a year ago?) that talked about the fact that they have DEFINITE other methods of getting the tickets that aren't available to us honest, milk-drinking, law-abiding citizens.  It sucks, and it really keeps getting worse.  But I don't see anyone doing anything about it.  Most of the people that are going to these damn Justin Timberlake shows are the ones feeding the scalpers' pockets in the first place.

And if the artist actually cared in this case, he probably would have assured some fan ticket presale or something of the sort.  Which I'm assuming he didn't.  I don't think JT really gives a flying fuck...at the end of the day, people are still buying his cds.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2006, 01:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  And if the artist actually cared in this case, he probably would have assured some fan ticket presale or something of the sort.  Which I'm assuming he didn't.  I don't think JT really gives a flying fuck...at the end of the day, people are still buying his cds.
And we've all seen how well presales work. For shows this big tickets disappear in a fraction of a second, and half of those end up in the hands of scalpers anyway.  I don't really blame them for not putting much time, effort or money into setting that up, just to hope 100-200 non-scalpers get tickets.  It would be nice, but it's probably not worth the hassle for a handful of club shows. Besides - 99% of the people that wanted tickets still wouldn't be able to get them anyway.

As for JT himself, I'm sure he has better things to worry about than where a few hundred open-market tickets get distributed.

As much as it sucks for everyone that wanted to go, it really does just come down to supply and demand.  However, I would be surprised if the show wasn't will-call only.  Is that not the case?

ggw

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006, 02:04:00 pm »
Online ticket search leads to bill, tug-of-war
 By Judy Lin -- Bee Capitol Bureau

Published 12:01 am PDT Sunday, July 16, 2006
 Story appeared on Page A1 of The Bee

What started as a staff effort to see an Eagles concert has led one state senator into the competitive and territorial world of ticket sales.
 Last fall, Sen. Jim Battin and his staff mounted what they thought would be a surefire plan to nab tickets by working the phones and computers in his district office.

"Everybody was in their offices and we were all coordinated. I'm calling, I'm going online. And no one could get through," said Battin, R-Palm Desert.

Frustrated by his experience, Battin set out to write a bill that would improve the online ticket purchasing odds for members of the general public -- a constituency he views as disadvantaged by rising prices, technological changes and preferential treatment to season-ticket holders and corporate sponsors.

Battin introduced legislation seeking to ban "pinging" -- an electronic manipulation of online ticket sales orchestrated by hackers to capture as many tickets as possible so they can be resold at a profit.

Battin didn't anticipate his anti-scalping bill would become the focus of a vitriolic tug-of-war with venues, ticketing agencies, brokers and online auction sites all clamoring to maintain their share of the nation's $3.1 billion concert ticket industry, not to mention sporting events and theater performances.

Backed by Ticketmaster, the world's largest ticketing company, Senate Bill 1602 makes "pinging" punishable by up to a fine of $5,000 and six months in jail for the first violation, $10,000 for the second.

Ticketmaster representatives say the company doesn't have a problem with brokers or auction sites; it has a problem with hackers gobbling up seats and frustrating the company's customers.

"Computers have been able to get through our defenses in certain cases and acquire tickets. We devote a lot of time and energy and money to counteracting their ability to do this," said Ed Weiss, executive vice president and general counsel for Ticketmaster.

It's unclear, though, how widespread the "pinging" problem is right now.

Weiss said more companies are being forced to use electronic safeguards, such as CAPTCHA -- a test that requires ticket buyers to read a distorted image and type the letters, in order to filter out computers from humans and thwart the hackers. It's an acronym that stands for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart."

Even as companies try to protect themselves, hackers are constantly finding new ways to beat them, Ticketmaster officials say. Ticketmaster declined to say how much it spends on firewall protection, but the company noted that it drives up the cost of tickets.

"It's a never-ending battle and the stakes grow higher," said Kerry Samovar, senior vice president of policy for Ticketmaster.

But some in the cyber world question whether there is a problem. Pradeep Khosla, dean of engineering at Carnegie Mellon University and director of CyLab, which developed CAPTCHA, said that while it is possible for hackers to attack ticketing systems, a more likely scenario is that servers are being overloaded when tickets go on sale.

"It's like me calling you all the time so your phone will always be busy. But it doesn't mean you have picked up and I'm talking to you," Khosla said. "I think it could be happening, but my gut feeling is Ticketmaster is exaggerating."

Khosla said lawmakers should do their homework and get a better understanding of what's happening with new technology before drawing up legislation. For example, he noted that anti-spam legislation has done little to reduce junk ads.

Battin's bill doesn't stop at pinging. It makes it a misdemeanor for anyone who buys more than the ticket limit for a specific event -- sometimes as low as two tickets -- to resell the extras at a profit. The bill allows for fines up to $1,000 and six months in jail.

That has sent ticket resellers reeling.

Auction site eBay voiced concern that its customers wouldn't be able to sell Giants or Kings tickets online. And licensed ticket brokers said they would be put out of business.

"We want to avoid any legislation that would have a blanket impact on the secondary market," said eBay spokeswoman Catherine England.

Kurt Autenrieth, president of SC Tix Inc., likened West Hollywood-based Ticketmaster's moves to a "300-pound gorilla" trying to monopolize both primary and secondary ticket sales.

"The only entity on board with this legislation is Ticketmaster," said Autenrieth, an active member of the California Association of Ticketing Agencies -- a loose-knit group of brokers who successfully lobbied the state to legitimize the secondary ticketing industry in the 1980s.

Already the public has limited access to limited tickets because a portion of seats are held for VIPs, especially in cases of high-demand concerts such as Barbra Streisand and the Rolling Stones. Autenrieth estimates that California's 200 licensed ticket brokers sell a fraction of what's left.

"Never, never, never has there been a time when we have sold more than 5 percent of gross tickets for one event," Autenrieth said.

Regular concertgoers like Matthew Hargrove and his wife, Darcy, say that if they want a ticket, they have to use Ticketmaster.

Ticketmaster's owner, IAC/ InterActiveCorp, reported $245.7 million in revenues from its ticketing business, according to the company's most recent quarterly earnings. That's up 16 percent from the previous year.

Hargrove, 36, said he's gotten savvy about buying tickets online. He snagged front-row tickets to a Black Crowes concert for $20 on Ticketmaster.com the day before the concert.

"The worst time is when they go on sale," said the Sacramento resident. "We learned that four or five years ago trying to buy Neil Young tickets."

He theorizes that because venues, promoters and advertisers start out holding on to good seats, it takes time for any unused tickets to make their way to the general market.

Samovar of Ticketmaster didn't dispute that: "We offer the best available seat based on what tickets are released to Ticketmaster by its clients."

The measure, still pending in the Senate, has a long way to go to win approval before lawmakers adjourn next month. Battin says he's hoping to rewrite the bill in a way that will address the problem without disrupting the industry.

He ended up making the Eagles concert in the Coachella Valley after the Recording Industry Association of America gave him the tickets.

"I'm not carrying anybody's water on this," Battin said of his bill. "I just want consumers to be able to get those tickets."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 02:36:00 pm »
However, I would be surprised if the show wasn't will-call only. Is that not the case?  
nope, not will-call only.  no bracelets.  no showing of receipts, names on tickets, or delayed ticket delivery.  nuthin'.

the JT show is like any other: hard (and anonymous) tickets mailed out about 2 weeks before the show.  NOTHING was done to prevent scalping, but as someone guessed it was probably at the artist's request (or pack thereof).
<sig>

chokeychicken

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2006, 06:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by saco:
so people who buy real estate on property they assume (or hope) will be desired greatly in the future...they're in the wrong too?  or does that just not matter, because that's a "real job?"

poorlulu

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2006, 06:40:00 pm »
well I don't get it........he is not attractive in any way.
 and his "music" sucks donkey balls (sweaty ones at that)

nkotb now that your married have all your standards dropped or what?

daughterd

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2006, 06:56:00 pm »
I'm going  :)