Author Topic: Pixies at Merriweather  (Read 8137 times)

Re: Pixies at Merriweather
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2005, 04:47:00 pm »
Even a broken scale is right when you weigh double the maximum.

Originally posted by thatguy:

Originally posted by Liberte:
 I wouldn't advise Rhett to drop statistics for a career in stand-up, but if you don't think the guy rips a pretty funny one every once in a while, your sense of humor might need a tune-up.
even a broken clock is right twice a day. [/b]

K8teebug

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2005, 12:08:00 pm »
Merriweather was designed by Frank Gehry to be an acoustically fabulous outdoor venue.  And it is....and it's the only nice thing about Columbia, Maryland.  So, the Pixies will sound fabulous there.

I too was at the Curiosa festival last year and it was great...except for the jock a** who spilled beer all over my favorite summer dress.

distance

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2005, 12:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
  Merriweather was designed by Frank Gehry to be an acoustically fabulous outdoor venue.  And it is....and it's the only nice thing about Columbia, Maryland.  So, the Pixies will sound fabulous there.

i might have gotten to check that out if i hadn't been stuck in traffic for 3 hours on the way to radiohead.  not only that but having a parking fee 'included' in the ticket price only to end up having to park at the mall also wasn't really too pleasing to me.

MaLo

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2005, 12:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:

Originally posted by K8teebug:

i might have gotten to check that out if i hadn't been stuck in traffic for 3 hours on the way to radiohead.  not only that but having a parking fee 'included' in the ticket price only to end up having to park at the mall also wasn't really too pleasing to me. [/b]
when did you go?

i remember thinking on my way there for curiousa that the traffic wasn't as bad that day as it has been on my previous trips out there

distance

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2005, 12:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by MaLo:
  i remember thinking on my way there for curiousa that the traffic wasn't as bad that day as it has been on my previous trips out there
i think the radiohead show was 8/22/03? or 8/20/03?  and as far as leaving earlier, i might have if i hadn't been sick.  i still planned to go and all, i just wasn't anticipating taking 5.5 hours to drive 150 miles.  i mean averaging under 25mph on a trip on the interstate is just ridiculous.  most of that time was spent in maryland too.

sonickteam

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2005, 12:51:00 pm »
yeah, but the Pixies arent as good as Radiohead!  traffic should be much lighter.

*prepares for vicious flaming and lazy eye jokes*

MaLo

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2005, 01:01:00 pm »

i think the radiohead show was 8/22/03? or 8/20/03?  and as far as leaving earlier, i might have if i hadn't been sick.  i still planned to go and all, i just wasn't anticipating taking 5.5 hours to drive 150 miles.  i mean averaging under 25mph on a trip on the interstate is just ridiculous.  most of that time was spent in maryland too. [/b]
yeah, thats the main reason i didn't go to Radiohead..i figured by the time i got out there i'd be pissed off by the traffic and really cranky and have a horrible time

prior to Curiousa i had gone to see REM there like in 98 or 99...traffic was sooooooo bad...it sucked

bearman🐻

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2005, 01:04:00 pm »
At least the Pixies got it right and are playing Merriweather and not Bull Run <runs for the hills>

distance

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2005, 01:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
  At least the Pixies got it right and are playing Merriweather and not Bull Run <runs for the hills>
dude.
 not only did i have tickets for both bull run radiohead shows, but i also had tickets for the toronto show in 03 that got postponed because of the blackout.  then i missed half of the merriweather show.  i just have bad luck with radiohead.  i couldn't make the rescheduled radiohead date for toronto either.

fuck radiohead.  they said DC had first priority on the next tour because of the whole bull run incident... then they played ONE night @ merriweather.  that doesn't make up for bull run at all.

sonickteam

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2005, 01:18:00 pm »

dude.
 not only did i have tickets for both bull run radiohead shows, but i also had tickets for the toronto show in 03 that got postponed because of the blackout.  then i missed half of the merriweather show.  i just have bad luck with radiohead.  i couldn't make the rescheduled radiohead date for toronto either.
  [/b]
i was in the EXACT same boat as you, had tickets to both Bull Run shows, had PIT tickets to the Toronto show and actually drove all the way there and then couldnt make the rescheduled date.

but i didnt miss one second of the Merriweather show.

and i would fuck Radiohead if i had the opportunity.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2005, 01:27:00 pm »

i think the radiohead show was 8/22/03? or 8/20/03?  and as far as leaving earlier, i might have if i hadn't been sick.  i still planned to go and all, i just wasn't anticipating taking 5.5 hours to drive 150 miles.  i mean averaging under 25mph on a trip on the interstate is just ridiculous.  most of that time was spent in maryland too. [/b]
that radiohead show was some of the worst pre-show traffic i'd ever seen ... we made it while 2+2=5 was starting (i think)
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2005, 01:34:00 pm »
i had forgetten this disaster, but these reviews are harrowing:

http://www.ateaseweb.com/live/2001/20010811.php
(o|o)

distance

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2005, 01:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by white man from town:
 i was in the EXACT same boat as you, had tickets to both Bull Run shows, had PIT tickets to the Toronto show and actually drove all the way there and then couldnt make the rescheduled date.

i had pit tickets for toronto as well.  i ended up with pit (or general admission) tickets for all of the 03 shows i saw except for merriweather.  i went to the montreal show the night before toronto was supposed to happen, so..
 though a friend of mine did fly all the way from san francisco to go to the toronto show (he has relatives there, so it was see radiohead + see relatives, but mainly it was for seeing radiohead) and he got totally screwed.

all complaints aside i have seen them 8 times and one of the highlights was being at the live@the 10 spot show in 97.. i just feel like i should have seen them more.

sonickteam

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2005, 01:39:00 pm »

all complaints aside i have seen them 8 times and one of the highlights was being at the live@the 10 spot show in 97.. i just feel like i should have seen them more.
i feel sorry for you no more! I have only seen them 4 times!!!

distance

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2005, 01:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by white man from town:

i feel sorry for you no more! I have only seen them 4 times!!! [/b]
8 times not without cost.  of those 8 times the only one that was under 300 miles from my house was the merriweather show which i missed half of.  i have had to go to extraordinary means to see them!  nyc(2), toronto, montreal, altanta(2), coachella.

but back to the pixies.  i saw them @ norfolk last year.  the better thing about that show was the fact that it was general admission, though the sound wasn't that good in the basketball arena.  if i could get decent tickets for merriweather i might go. i don't know.  i'm just not too keen on that place at all.