Author Topic: CD stores in NYC  (Read 1516 times)

redsock

CD stores in NYC
« on: January 16, 2004, 01:26:00 pm »
I know somehting like this thread has been up before, but since we can't search...

Anyone know any really cool CD stores in NYC? Been to a couple ok ones...and i know they don't have an Amoeba or so equivalent, but they must have something right?

Re: CD stores in NYC
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 01:55:00 pm »
Bunch of smaller ones, but nothing like Amoeba. Very hit and miss. I imagine the NYC hipsters get all the good stuff.

walkman

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 02:53:00 pm »
Two best are within walking distance of each other in the east village...

Other Music - E. 4th (just east of broadway)

Kim's - St. Marks (between 2nd and 3rd ave)

both are better than anything in DC...Other Music has better vinyl and maybe slightly lower prices on some import and experimental stuff, Kim's has a larger selection of new indie, and more in stock.

Earwax in Brooklyn (on Bedford...around north 6) is also really well stocked, although really small.  But they always seem to have the hard to find stuff.

oh it's a heck of a town...

redsock

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 03:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkie hearts you all:

both are better than anything in DC...Other Music has better vinyl and maybe slightly lower prices on some import and experimental stuff, Kim's has a larger selection of new indie, and more in stock.

Earwax in Brooklyn (on Bedford...around north 6) is also really well stocked, although really small.  But they always seem to have the hard to find stuff.

I've been to Other Music, and I remember thinking that they're selection was better than anything  in DC.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 03:21:00 pm »
which aint saying much.

Originally posted by redsock:

Originally posted by walkie hearts you all:

I've been to Other Music, and I remember thinking that they're selection was better than anything  in DC. [/b]

edbert

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 04:10:00 pm »
Midnight Records on 23rd has some interesting things esp for you garage-rockers:  http://WWW.MIDNIGHTRECORDS.COM/

I used to like to go to Colony Records, which was on Broadway in the 50's, but last time I was in the area I didn't find it- maybe I was distracted and walked right past it.  Anyone know if it's still open?  Not really a place for indie-type stuff, but they had a lot of cool rock memorabilia in there and also a big selection of sheet music. And it appeared to be THE place to buy karaoke stuff- they had a whole karaoke department

edbert

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 04:19:00 pm »
In response to my own email (how lame), I just did the obvious thing and typed in www.colonyrecords.com with success and found it is still there, at Broadway and 49th

walkman

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 07:30:00 pm »
see, that's what I'm talking about.  We don't even have ONE independent record store in DC anymore!  I love NYC...oh yeah, NYC...