Author Topic: Old 97's Roll Call  (Read 6610 times)

Jaguär

Re: Old 97's Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2004, 09:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  Well since i'm doing absolutely nothing that night i'm thinkin' i'm not gonna go to the show.
Damn! And here I didn't buy a ticket thinking that I'd save that one extra just for you.

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2004, 12:34:00 pm »
The Minneapolis setlist:

Barrier Reef
 Rollerskate Skinny
 Busted Afternoon
 Smoker
 Won't Be Home No More
 Broadway
 Lonely Holiday
 W. TX. Teardrops
 Singular Girl
 Doreen
 Wish the Worst
 Up the Devil's Pay
 Bloomington
 Dressing Room Walls
 Crash on the Barrelhead
 Murder or a Heart Attack
 4 Leaf Clover
 (Encore)
 Our Love
 Come Around
 Mama Tried
 Niteclub
 Big Brown Eyes
 Timebomb

Celeste

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2004, 12:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  As much as I'd like to see the Old 97s, I'll be too busy hobnobbing with the Sundance glitterati on the slopes of Park City.
say hi to Robert Redford and Ben Affleck for me

nkotb

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 12:58:00 pm »
I'll be there, thanks to my girlfriend and her pretty thoughtful X-mas presents.  

GGW, when did you head out to Sundance?  I just got back last night, but only managed to catch a 2 movies, since the skiing was so much fun.

I also managed to see Hank Azaria in a bar in Park City, which was kind of cool.

Originally posted by Celeste:

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  As much as I'd like to see the Old 97s, I'll be too busy hobnobbing with the Sundance glitterati on the slopes of Park City.
say hi to Robert Redford and Ben Affleck for me [/b]

ggw

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 01:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotbie:
 GGW, when did you head out to Sundance?  I just got back last night, but only managed to catch a 2 movies, since the skiing was so much fun.

I'll be out there on Friday. I doubt I'll see any movies. I'm going for the skiing.

MiloGTC

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2004, 01:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  The Minneapolis setlist:

Well, if they were going to do two songs from the solo record, they could do a lot worse than "Our Love" and "Come Around." I'm still betting we'll see a longer setlist, but it's probably a fool's bet.

Was anyone else here at the Recher show a few years ago, when they played for, like, an hour and a half with three encores?

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2004, 02:02:00 pm »
I was at that Recher show. IMO, the best show I've seen them do. Well, maybe not quite as good as the first time I saw them, which was in a very small club in NC on the Too Far to Care tour. Ryan Adams was one of the audience members standing near me at that show.

Originally posted by MiloGTC:

The Minneapolis setlist:

Well, if they were going to do two songs from the solo record, they could do a lot worse than "Our Love" and "Come Around." I'm still betting we'll see a longer setlist, but it's probably a fool's bet.

Was anyone else here at the Recher show a few years ago, when they played for, like, an hour and a half with three encores? [/b]

Guiny

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2004, 03:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  Well since i'm doing absolutely nothing that night i'm thinkin' i'm not gonna go to the show.
Damn! And here I didn't buy a ticket thinking that I'd save that one extra just for you. [/b]
Thanx for thinkin' of me Jags.

Guiny

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2004, 03:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by MiloGTC
 Was anyone else here at the Recher show a few years ago, when they played for, like, an hour and a half with three encores? [/QB]
Well according to people that post here, encores suck, so with three i'm sure most people woulda hated that show.

TheNomad

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2004, 05:25:00 pm »
Old 97's
 January 19, 2004
 BY ANDERS SMITH LINDALL

In the big picture, the Old 97's weren't really gone that long. Only three years passed between the band's last album and its return to Chicago, and in the interim, ringleader Rhett Miller was a regular presence on local stages and radio waves.

All the same, fans treated the band's Saturday show at Metro like an event. Well ahead of the date they snapped up tickets or clamored for extras in online forums; come showtime, they lined up around the block in bitter cold.

Anyone who thought all of this a bit excessive should have seen the band in action. On the third night of a 10-date tour that precedes their return to the recording studio -- in Woodstock, where they'll track tunes for an album on New West Records -- the Texas-bred four-piece didn't disappoint.

They also didn't waste any time. One swaggering lick from lead guitarist Ken Bethea launched the band into "Victoria," and the crowd into a lusty sing-along that mostly drowned out Miller; over the next 90-plus minutes, the last echoes of one tune barely died away before drummer Philip Peeples was rapping out a rhythm for the next. The late-night set -- which started after 1 a.m. and didn't end until nearly 3 -- drew from every corner of the band's catalog but emphasized songs from the band's beloved 1995 disc "Wreck Your Life" and its follow-up, "Too Far To Care."

Not all of that was flawless, of course; the 97's naturally showed some rust. Almost off the top Miller flubbed a few lines of "Rollerskate Skinny," and later Peeples rushed the intro of bass man Murry Hammond's Johnny Cash cover, "Let the Train Blow the Whistle." But nobody was too picky, so they just grinned and blasted past the rough spots.

Frankly, the time off -- which Miller used to make a solo record, while he and others explored such side projects as marriage and kids -- has done the band a world of good. Although 1999's "Fight Songs" and 2001's "Satellite Rides" blazed modest radio inroads and made Miller a geek-rock poster boy, they lacked the spark of the band's beloved "Wreck Your Life" -- a disc that launched both the band and Bloodshot Records to wider acclaim.

Saturday's set included plenty of references to those early days. Miller introduced "Dressing Room Walls" with an anecdote about writing it in the basement at Lounge Ax, and he needled Jon Langford before banging out an aptly rowdy version of his "Over the Cliff."

Fueled by their second-home affinity for our fair city, the nostalgia was nice. But warm and fuzzy only goes so far, so the best part of the electric evening was its promise for the future. Judging by the few tunes the 97's debuted -- including an uncharacteristic riff-rocker called "Smokers" from Hammond, Miller's low-key lament "The Moonlight" and especially the signature witty wordplay of "Won't Be Home No More" -- the recharged band's horizons look bright.

brennser

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2004, 06:09:00 pm »
I'll be there with a few friends in tow - I'm glad I got up off my ass and got tix for this one - I can't fucking believe I'm not going to be at the Shins....oh well

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2004, 06:26:00 pm »
Man, when was the last time the ticket board got this much action?

ggw

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2004, 06:28:00 pm »
Justin Timberlake

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2004, 06:51:00 pm »
The setlist for the Indiana show was also 22-23 songs in length. Notably, it contained a song sung by guitarist Ken Bethea, who has not sung on any of their albums as of yet.

Originally posted by MiloGTC:

The Minneapolis setlist:

Was anyone else here at the Recher show a few years ago, when they played for, like, an hour and a half with three encores? [/b]

SPARX

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2004, 09:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw™:
 [I'll be out there on Friday. I doubt I'll see any movies. I'm going for the skiing. [/QB]
You might want to take time to see this while your there:                                            One critic's comments from Sundance on Ondi Timoner's DIG:

The best documentary I've seen so far is Ondi Timoner's DIG! Shot over a period of seven years, it's about a curiously obsessive competition between the charismatic stars of two '60s retro bands -- the genius-y, aggressively self-destructive Anton Newcombe of the Brian Jonestown Massacre, and the not-quite-as-gifted, certainly more career-savvy Courtney Taylor of the Dandy Warhols.
 Boiled down, the film is basically about the goal of making beautiful art vs. attaining industry prominence and success.

Timoner examines the limits of bad behavior (i.e., Newcombe's) as he rails against various rock-industry scenesters and environments, and does a solid job of charting the stylistic and political differences between Newcombe being hell-bent on creating awesome sounds vs. Taylor being a bit more devoted to commercially making it, perhaps, than coaxing a smile out of God with one or more of his songs.

Timoner provides a fascinating journey into both the gritty day-to-day routine of bands trying to get over and make it happen, and the trippy-antsy psychology driving their two leaders. There's an understandable emphasis on Newcombe's shenanigans (arguments with band members and his manager, fights with audience members, a bad heroin habit), since they're more entertaining than Taylor's, who isn't whacked as much as driven and intense.