Author Topic: Old 97's Roll Call  (Read 6611 times)

Re: Old 97's Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2004, 09:59:00 pm »
Let's stickk to good music on this thread.  :)

Originally posted by SPARX:

Originally posted by ggw™:
 [I'll be out there on Friday. I doubt I'll see any movies. I'm going for the skiing. [/b]
You might want to take time to see this while your there:                                            One critic's comments from Sundance on Ondi Timoner's DIG:

The best documentary I've seen so far is Ondi Timoner's DIG! Shot over a period of seven years, it's about a curiously obsessive competition between the charismatic stars of two '60s retro bands -- the genius-y, aggressively self-destructive Anton Newcombe of the Brian Jonestown Massacre, and the not-quite-as-gifted, certainly more career-savvy Courtney Taylor of the Dandy Warhols.
 Boiled down, the film is basically about the goal of making beautiful art vs. attaining industry prominence and success.

Timoner examines the limits of bad behavior (i.e., Newcombe's) as he rails against various rock-industry scenesters and environments, and does a solid job of charting the stylistic and political differences between Newcombe being hell-bent on creating awesome sounds vs. Taylor being a bit more devoted to commercially making it, perhaps, than coaxing a smile out of God with one or more of his songs.

Timoner provides a fascinating journey into both the gritty day-to-day routine of bands trying to get over and make it happen, and the trippy-antsy psychology driving their two leaders. There's an understandable emphasis on Newcombe's shenanigans (arguments with band members and his manager, fights with audience members, a bad heroin habit), since they're more entertaining than Taylor's, who isn't whacked as much as driven and intense. [/QB]

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2004, 10:01:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Man, when was the last time the ticket board got this much action?
What's with all the "big fans" waiting until the last minute to get tickets?   I barely know anything about these guys, but I knew that they were certainly gonna sell out early.  It's not like the tickets cost $100 and they had to save their money for months, and it's not like they sold out immediately.  Tickets were available for weeks.

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2004, 10:52:00 am »
I think they've headlined the 9:30 Club a couple of times, and this is the first time they've sold out. (club staff correct me if I'm wrong) I don't even think the Wilco/Old 97's double bill sold out.

Plus, they don't have an album out, and haven't in several years, so they're not really in the public eye. Also, Rhett's solo album didn't do that well, and he never headlined a club larger than the Black Cat.

I was slightly surprised they sold out, but not that surprised. Anybody who has seen them once will probably want to see them again and again.

Originally posted by Skeeter:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Man, when was the last time the ticket board got this much action?
What's with all the "big fans" waiting until the last minute to get tickets?   I barely know anything about these guys, but I knew that they were certainly gonna sell out early.  It's not like the tickets cost $100 and they had to save their money for months, and it's not like they sold out immediately.  Tickets were available for weeks. [/b]

Bags

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2004, 11:04:00 am »
So do you think there will be any movie stars in Telluride, or just Park City?!?

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2004, 12:47:00 pm »
http://rhettmiller.com/photos.html

even better, rock stars. scroll down, you'll see a glimpse of Rhett skiing with John Doe at Telluride.

Originally posted by Bags:
  So do you think there will be any movie stars in Telluride, or just Park City?!?

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2004, 04:23:00 pm »
Old 97's strut some new stuff
 â?¢ Where: The Vogue, 6259 N. College Ave.
 â?¢ Bottom line: Old friends return to roots.

By David Lindquist
 January 21, 2004

A feeling of renewed hope filled the Vogue nightclub Monday as the Old 97's delivered a rollicking performance of roots-rock yarns.

Many observers assumed this band was history after singer-songwriter Rhett Miller issued a solo album in 2002. But the quartet is back together and kicking tail (despite some random rustiness heard in botched lyrics and misplayed notes).

The Old 97's make music so spirited and polished, you might think you're catching the Beatles circa 1965 -- had the Fab Four hailed from Dallas instead of Liverpool and been followers of Johnny Cash, not skiffle pioneer Lonnie Donegan.

To underscore the comparison, Miller captivated the crowd with an unplugged rendition of "Question," his tender and melodic cousin of John Lennon's "Norwegian Wood."

Miller also has looks to rival a young Paul McCartney and the charismatic insight of author J.D. Salinger, who happened to inspire the "Catcher in the Rye"-themed "Rollerskate Skinny" from the band's last studio album.

At the same time, if the Old 97's are so good, why aren't they superstars? The quick answer is that the band's idiom of country-meets-rock- Americana never caught on with the mainstream. Artists such as Lucinda Williams and the Jayhawks have made brilliant albums, but they have yet to earn a platinum sales award.

Miller, bass player Murry Hammond, guitarist Ken Bethea and drummer Philip Peeples recorded five albums from 1994 to 2001. Thanks to sustained support from one mid-level radio station, WTTS-FM (92.3), Indianapolis ranks as an Old 97's town.

A new album is expected later this year, and the band previewed four compositions on Monday. Miller sang one dark rocker about restless travel and a breezy tune that seems to be titled "Bloomington." The latter, which recounts an afternoon spent with a pretty girl in a park, should be a crowd-pleaser in any number of same-named cities.

It was a rarity to see and hear Bethea sing lead. After revealing a case of nerves through awkward and rambling banter, he let rip a self-deprecating ditty: "I'm sittin' here suckin' on my cavity, thinking of things you used to say to me -- tragedy."

Hammond -- the band's winning X-factor because of his ability to yodel and generally summon that high, lonesome sound -- unveiled "Smoker," a jaunty tale suggestive of They Might Be Giants in a European folk mood.

Still, for all the twangy adornments and Miller's recent penchant for polite pop, the live 97's galvanize into a rough-and-ready crew. Anyone on hand for the final sprint of "Barrier Reef," "Big Brown Eyes" and "Timebomb" will tell you that.

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2004, 05:14:00 pm »
cleveland setlist...wow i hope WE get 8 songs from Too Far To Care...

It was really a great show, and the new songs sound
 fantastic. I am really excited for the new album!
 They played for about 2 hours, sounded fabulous and
 looked like they were having a great time. They
 played, in no particular order:

-Doreen
 -Big Brown Eyes
 -Dressing Room Walls
 -Lonely Holiday
 -Crash On The Barrelhead
 -Valentine
 -King Of All The World
 -Rollerskate Skinny
 -Buick City Complex
 -Up The Devil's Pay
 -Designs On You
 -Four Leaf Clover
 -Stoned
 -Timebomb
 -Barrier Reef
 -Salome
 -W. TX Teardrops
 -Curtain Calls
 -Niteclub
 -4 or 5 new songs, sorry I don't know the titles (I
 think one was "Smoker")
 -Rhett also did acoustic versions of Our Love and Come
 Around

Sorry about the lack of order. They opened with
 Stoned, closed with Timebomb, and everything in
 between was pure unadulterated joy.

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2004, 05:37:00 pm »
Philly got 27 songs last night...

Hands Off
 Barrier Reef
 Rollerskate Skinny
 W. TX Teardrops
 Lonely Holiday
 Just Like California
 Designs on You
 Smoker
 Ken's song
 Doreen
 Wish the Worst
 Up the Devil's Pay
 Jagged
 Valium Waltz
 The Very Same Moonlight
 Crash on the Barrelhead
 Streets of Where I'm From
 Melt Show
 Four Leaf Clover
 ----
 Question (Rhett solo)
 Come Around (Rhett solo)
 Valentine (Murry and Rhett)
 ----
 Indefinitely
 Murder (Or a Heart Attack)
 Big Brown Eyes
 ----
 Dressing Room Walls
 Timebomb

Note: For Rhett's solo bit, he started to play "Our Love," but people
 shouting for "Question" made him change his mind. The new songs were
 very well received, especially "Smoker." The crowd wanted another
 encore -- "Nineteen" was a bit of a rallying cry up front -- but it
 was not to be.

lily1

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2004, 09:20:00 pm »
someone please post a review and set list for tonight. i just sold my ticket. my lungs are not fully recovered so i'm fucked if i go tonight and am packed in a smoke filled club for 3+ hours. i never thought i'd say this, but i'd be willing to support a smoking ban.  :eek:

ratioci nation

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2004, 03:36:00 am »
Don't have a setlist, but I had a good time.  It is a weird point of view for me because I saw Rhett solo 3 times before I ever saw the band together, and I think he had more energy when he was solo.  But songs like Timebomb, Murder or a heart attack, four leaf clover and Barrier Reef are really fantastic with the full band.  I still have yet to hear Rhett or the band to do Oppenheimer Road, which I would really like to hear live, it is cheesy, but I like it.  I will be interested to hear how people who have seen them before say this show compares.  I thought the set dragged occasionally, and was not real fond of the new songs, but that could change as they play and I hear them more.  Was good to hear Crash on the Barrelhead, would like to have hear Niteclub as well.

I will be happy if I never see Alex Dezen or the Damnwells ever again, no idea why Rhett keeps touring with them.  And I found Grey Delisle annoying at times, but a couple of her songs were not bad.

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2004, 03:44:00 am »
They were a little rusty, but still great. I'll post the setlist and more thoughts tomorrow.

ChampionshipVinyl

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2004, 09:35:00 am »
Agreed!  Heard a few bumps in couple of places but thought last night was great.  And it hadn't snowed much so the drive back home wasn't bad.

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2004, 11:06:00 am »
Well 9:15 came, and no Grey Delisle. Then 9:30, 10:00, and no Grey. My wife said she was probably somewhere doing her makeup. 10:15 came and on came that quartet of dullards known as the damnwells. I'm not sure why Rhett is friends with these guys, unless he has a secret thing for bad Goo Goo Dolls ripoff bands. And there really is no accounting for why anyone would like a band like this.

Then Grey managed to show up (just arrive via plane, did her makeup in the airport bathroom) with husband Murry on acoustic guitar and former Lone Justice dude Marvin Etzioni on mandolin in tow. She was enjoyable, but not "amazing" as the girl standing next to me proclaimed. Not nearly as enjoyable as at Bumbershoot, when she had a lead guitarist, Murray on bass, and a drummer, and when Marvin really cut loose and hammed it up.

The 97's took the stage at 12 and played until about 1:45. Some general thoughts...it really sucks when the guy next to you insists on twirling his ugly girlfriend around and ramming her into you throughout the show. And it sucks when she inisists on resting her head on your back and shoulders, as well as your wifes back and shoulders...

Ok, thoughts about the show. Much, much, much better than Rhett Miller and the Instigators. Ken's guitar work and Murry's harmony and lead vocals push them from being a good band to being a great band. Comparing the 97's to Rhett solo acoustic is like apples and oranges. Wouldn't expect or want Rhett to have the same energy level as when solo. They were a little rusty, Rhett flubbed some lines here and there. Rhett seems like such a happy guy, You wonder if he ever has a bad day, or even just a bad hair day.

Rhett seems to compliment each city he plays in. He calls Austin and Madison his favorite cities in America. He said something similiar in Seattle. Chicago is like their second home. Philly "fucking rocks". His compliment of DC seemed rather tepid by comparison, "People say DC is an ornery city, but y'all seem rather hospitable". "That's because we're Republicans" replied the icky people next to us.

So for comparisons...Can't remember how many times I've seen them now, but I would compare it in quality to their last headlining gig at the 9:30. Not as good as when I saw them in North Carolina on the Too Far to Care tour, and Rhett gave a shout out to Ryan Adams, who was sitting at the bar. And not as good as when I saw them at the Recher on the SR tour and the setlist was more heavily Wreck Your Life-centric. I think live they sound better doing stuff from the first three albums, and a bit more lame doing stuff from Satelite and Fight Songs. Thus, it was disappointing that they only played 2.5 songs off of their first two albums (Big Brown Eyes was on both albums 2 and 3), whereas in Chicago they played four songs off of Wreck Your Life alone (perhaps a nod to it being their one full Bloodshot album, and Bloodshot being in Chicago). They did a fair share of songs off of my favorite album, Too Far to Care, but less than the eight that Philly got.

They played four new songs. My favorite was "Smoker" with Murry on lead. Also enjoyed Ken's singing debut, and the faster of the two new ones Rhett did.

Favorites were all of the songs off of Too Far to Care album, and the duet on Valentine. Really really wish they had done Victoria and the Other Shoe off of Wreck Your Life.\\\\

Oh, and Ken was wearing a t-shirt of their friends the Deathray Davies, for anyone who might care.

The setlist:

St Ignatius
 Rollerskate Skinny
 Busted Afternoon
 West Texas Teardrops
 Streets of Where I'm From
 Buick City Complex
 Singular Girl
 Smoker? (new, Murry vocal)
 Coehla? (new, Ken vocal)
 Doreen
 Salome
 Up the Devils Pay
 Lonely Holiday
 Denton Town? (new, Rhett vocal)
 Won't be Home No More (new, Rhett vocal)
 Crash on the Barrelhead
 King of All the World
 4 LEaf Clover
 ---
 Question (Rhettt solo, was a request by a couple...the guy proposed, girl said yes...saved us from hearing "come Around")
 Our Love (Rhett solo)
 Valentine (Murry and Rhett duet)
 ---
 Barrier Reef
 Designs on You
 Big Brown Eyes
 ---
 Murder or a Heart Attack
 Timebomb

mankie

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2004, 12:14:00 pm »
Thanks for the review and setlist Rhett....minor point. NOBODY FUCKING CARES!   ;)

ratioci nation

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2004, 01:36:00 pm »
the guy next to Kosmo and I said, "last time they had the worst fucking band ever open, the Deathray Davies", now I have never actually listened to the Deathray Davies, but I was not about to take this guys review seriously

and I like oranges more than apples   :D  

and by energy I dont just mean he jumped around less, he hit the spots in the a lot of the songs with less emphasis, he did not spit as much   ;)  

I also enjoyed Valentine

this was one of those shows which I had very high hopes for, probably also because I did not think I would be able to go for a little while, so there was no way it would have lived up to my expectations, but was very good show, and I heard a lot of "wow, that was great" on the way out, so people were happy