Author Topic: TV On The Radio  (Read 2278 times)

Bombay Chutney

TV On The Radio
« on: March 24, 2004, 04:25:00 pm »
So is this one of those shows I'm going to kick myself for years to come if I miss it?

thirsty moore

Re: TV On The Radio
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 04:27:00 pm »
Probably, I'm definitely going to go.  They're only going to be playing larger venues after this.  I'm sure the backstage area will be packed as it is.  

The new album's great, btw.  Haven't heard anything by The Panthers though.

Bags

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 04:29:00 pm »
I'm going; some of the descriptions cause me to question their Bag-o-meter factor, but it's worth checking out with all the buzz I'm hearing.

Hey, that got me to the Decemberists at the backstage late last year.  Thank goodness for that!

nkotb

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 04:37:00 pm »
Yeah, I'm kind of bummed that I'm missing it.  Tell me all about it when I get back, Thirsty.

Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Probably, I'm definitely going to go.  They're only going to be playing larger venues after this.  I'm sure the backstage area will be packed as it is.  

The new album's great, btw.  Haven't heard anything by The Panthers though.

thirsty moore

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 04:39:00 pm »
Yeh, I'm kind of bummed that I'm not flying out to Madrid the day before.  Wanna trade?

nkotb

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 04:47:00 pm »
When you're a high-roller like myself, you get used to getting what you want.  Unfortunately, TV on the Radio turned down my request for a private performance on my jet, the NKOTB-One.

Yeh, I'm kind of bummed that I'm not flying out to Madrid the day before.  Wanna trade?

walkman

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 04:49:00 pm »
some advice from walkie:  go late.  nice and late.
 *winks at thirsty*

thirsty moore

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 05:12:00 pm »
That's right Walkie, I suppose I should let them know the bar down the street is serving free beer that night as well.

As for them turning down the private jet offer, I think it was because you only offered to put them up at the Days Inn in Madrid.  Dude, that's not cool.  They're at least worth a Marriott.

nkotb

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 05:14:00 pm »
Fuckin' rockstars.  They turned down the offer to bunk with my parents, too.  No class, I tells ya...

That's right Walkie, I suppose I should let them know the bar down the street is serving free beer that night as well.

As for them turning down the private jet offer, I think it was because you only offered to put them up at the Days Inn in Madrid.  Dude, that's not cool.  They're at least worth a Marriott.

grotty

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 05:55:00 pm »
I wish I could make it down for this show.
 They were my favorite in Austin last week.

One critic had this description:
  TV on the Radio fuses soul and power pop the way stars fuse atoms. Live, they explode, a barely tamed Pixies fronted by Al Green

I was expecting them to be funky and eclectic like the records, but was pleasantly surprised by the way they rocked. The guitar player - who looks and acts much like Greg Dulli getting his groove on - creates a wall of noise that is much louder than on record. The percussion is also  more prominent. Both making the songs seem much more complete to me. Young Liars & Staring @ the Sun were so good.

They played a short set, as all do there, and focused primarily on the EP...which I think is brilliant and better than the full length. It'll be interesting to see how the new songs hold up live.

Bags

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 06:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:

I was expecting them to be funky and eclectic like the records, but was pleasantly surprised by the way they rocked. The guitar player - who looks and acts much like Greg Dulli getting his groove on - creates a wall of noise that is much louder than on record. The percussion is also much more prominent. Both making the songs seem much more complete to me. Young Liars & Staring @ the Sun were so good.

Bag-o-meter reading rising....
 Which bar has the free beer?  Though, this show is on a Monday, right?  That is the day of the week I'm least likely to down even one brew....

thirsty moore

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 06:10:00 pm »
Every bar on U st. has free beer that night.  Yep, every one.

walkman

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 06:17:00 pm »
  Every bar on U st. has free beer that night.  Yep, every one.
after 9 pm, that is.

ratioci nation

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 06:31:00 pm »
I would like to go to this show, we will see if it happens.  Been reading a lot of good reviews of the TV on the Radio shows from people who went to SXSW on Postal Blowfish (gbv listserv), and somebody also said Panthers were fun to watch there.  I have the albums, they are very loud, sounds like the live show is entertaining.

RonniStar

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 08:44:00 pm »
Does This band have a website? Like to get get more details on TVOTR.