Author Topic: Olssons bankruptcy press release  (Read 1806 times)

bellenseb

Olssons bankruptcy press release
« on: July 16, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »
Forgive me for not digging out the old thread. I still think the only way they can survive is to add food/drink/"scene" elements into their revenue...

Olsson Enterprises Inc. T/A Olsson's Books & Records files for Chapter 11 Protection.

Olsson Enterprises Inc., trading as Olsson's Books & Records, Record & Tape Limited and Olsson's Books, announced it has filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in order to reorganize the company and return to profitability. Olsson's filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court District of Maryland.

The reasons given for filing were a combination of the continuing weak retail economy, rising rents and property taxes, competition from large box stores and the Internet, and an accelerated drop in the music CD business.

Olsson's was established in 1972 and grew to as many as nine retail stores in the Washington DC metro area with sales over $16 million a year and as many as 200 employees. Currently there are five retail stores: Reagan National Airport, Alexandria, two in Arlington, and one in Northwest Washington DC. Olsson's earned a reputation as a locally-owned community-oriented retailer with a knowledgeable staff selling a good selection of books, music, video and gifts.

John Olsson, the principal owner, a Washington native and graduate of Catholic University, stated, "Olsson's could not have made it past 35 years without the great work of many employees, the loyalty of wonderful customers and the many friends of Olsson's who saw a value in the business and helped it along the way. Although the company has attempted to manage the situation to remain solvent, regrettably after considering all available alternatives, the company determined Chapter 11 was the best way to maintain operations while implementing a plan for successful restructuring."

Terence McCann, Controller since 1989 and a graduate of the University of Maryland, stated, "There is a plan for Olsson's to continue. It involves raising working capital, seeking investors, reducing overhead costs, adding new merchandise, refurbishing stores, retaining leases where achievable or relocating to communities that will support the concept of an independent bookstore. We still think that Olsson's has something to offer and can do business in this market."

Frank Gallagher

Re: Olssons bankruptcy press release
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »
Well, I hope all you file 'sharers'    :roll:    are happy.

Not to mention the freeloading students who seem to think it's okay to use a book retailer as a fucking research library.
 They should devise an doo-hickey to put in books that sets off an alarm if you turn more than one page. If the alarm goes off you've bought the book.

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »
Hey old man, when was the last time you went down to the general store to pick up some kerosene for the lamps in your house and feed for the cattle and chickens you raise to feed your children?

What, there are new technologies (electricity) and new business models (a Super Market) out there that make certain things you used to do every day now more efficient, both time wise and cost wise?

When did that happen?  Every business and every business has a limited time, and this one is no different.  

Hell, CompUSA closed their doors all over the place and I'm not stealing computer hardware from the internet.  If nothing else, I'm using more now than ever.  Wonder where and how I'm getting it?
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »
Sometimes.....you take me too literally!

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by Ever Circling Skeletal Family:
No, every time I take you too seriously.  That's how I've decided to maximize your entertainment value.  I'm not as easy as walkonby.
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by Ever Circling Skeletal Family:
No, every time I take you too seriously.  That's how I've decided to maximize your entertainment value.  I'm not as easy as walkonby. [/b]
Unfortunatley, I think walkon is on to me now.

fatskippy

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:32:00 am »
That store was incredibly overpriced anyway, I am surprised they lasted as long as they did

Driveway

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 10:28:00 am »
I liked their CD collection... but at $19 a pop, I decided to shop elsewhere.  It is that simple.

bearman🐻

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »
I used to shop there ALL the time when you got $10 off for every $100 you spent. Then they went way out of hand with their prices. I love Olsson's, but the reality is that there are so few good stores left. I resort to shopping at places like Amoeba when I'm in San Francisco, and the rest I order online.

Mobius

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »
totally agree. always appreciated the intelligent staff picks and atmosphere . . . and i'm an easy sell . . . but the prices there make purchases unjustifiable

Relaxer

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:51:00 pm »
I agree but if I had a $20 in my pocket and the opportunity to wander down (I work about 5 blocks from there), it was always a hoot to just go buy something.
oword

Vas Deferens

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:09:00 pm »
so it is a mom and pop version of FYE?
(_|_)