Author Topic: A question for you college educated nit-wits  (Read 5688 times)

Frank Gallagher

A question for you college educated nit-wits
« on: July 18, 2008, 10:08:00 am »
Why is it when oil prices go up by the barrel the impact on the gas station forecourts is immediate, but when oil prices drop it takes up to six weeks before gas prices drop at the retail level?

And don't just give me the old "that's capitalism" nonesense....there has to be some reason.

I have my thoughts but wanted to know if there's actually a legitimate reason for it.

walkonby

Re: A question for you college educated nit-wits
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 10:20:00 am »
because you'll pay it . . . and what are you going to do about it?  our government works that way.  it is the national slogan.  "what are you going to do about it?"  they know nothing, so they are like cartman.  "whatever, whatever.  i'll do what i want."

walkonby

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 10:24:00 am »
but they like to say this - Crude oil accounts for 55% of the price of gasoline, while distribution and taxes influence the remaining 45%. Usually, distribution and taxes are stable, so that the daily change in the price of gasoline accurately reflects oil price fluctuations. Occasionally, however, distribution lines are disrupted or are down for maintenance, which can increase the price of gasoline even when oil prices are down.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 10:26:00 am »
Well walkon old matey.....that was my thoughts entirely!

In manks make believe world we would all stop buying gas, which means we couldn't go to work or to the mall or out to dinner or the game and bring the country to it's ankles (it's already down it's knees thanks to hee-haw) and gas would come down so we would buy it and start going to work, the mall, out to dinner and the game!!!!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 10:47:00 am »
price of oil goes up: oil companies, refiners and gas stations see their profits threatened unless they raise their prices.  not changing price = losing money... so prices are raised immediately.

price of oil goes down: oil companies, refiners and gas stations see their profits increase since they are selling a cheaper product at an old, higher price.  not changing price = making money.  competitive pressures take care of this, eventually, but they try holding on to the extra margin for as long as they can.

Regards,
 Prof. Sweetcell,
 Board-certified College Educated Nit-Wit
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 11:00:00 am »
one word manc: freemasons
o/\o

Venerable Bede

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  one word manc: freemasons
no no no. . .the pentaverate. . .
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »
Mank, you really don??t want volatile oil prices as a consumer.  It wreaks havoc with traffic and long lines.

Frankly, I want gas to hit $6 a gallon ?? and not to punish those that purchased gas guzzling SUVs to haul stuff around once a month.  And I??m not saying it to be selfish for having a fuel efficient car.

The reality is that the higher gas goes, the worse the future is for counties that rely on oil revenue to prop up their economies.  Sadly, only Saudi Arabia gets this (and arguably the UAE).  They haven??t forgotten that after 1973 when the largest gas consuming countries were hit with steep market increases in crude, those countries sought out alternative sources ?? some home grown (drilling in Alaska), some from friendlier neighbors (the North Sea).  Car manufacturers started making more fuel efficient cars as a result, and congress acted by passing fuel conservation measures (lowering the speed limit, for example). This sent the price of gas tumbling and along with it the economies of those countries that rely on oil.  This led to revolutions in some of the oil producing countries by the younger generation that want a new future that is not dependent on oil.  Of course, it also displeased the fundamentalists that brought us Al-Qaeda, but to a smaller extent.

The higher the price of gas goes in this decade, the more likely the American people are to seek an alternative.  Sure some in the current administration want to find another source for crude in our backyard or beneath our ocean, but all that does is push off the inevitable for 20 or 30 more years (or some argue 15). We even asked the Saudi??s to increase production!  If this continues, we??ll be right back to this point again - at some point they will realize that we??re dealing with a finite resource.  Instead, as the price skyrockets and momentum gains to seek home grown alternatives and diversify our reliance on one source, the implications on our foreign policy are the true great reward, far outweighing the environment (but the environment is an easier sell to the American people).

Our best offense on Iran is not Israeli planes, but finding alternatives to their hold on fuel and thus shorting their influence in the region.  Our best chance for a democracy in Iran is not a repeat of Iraq, but exposing the fraud that their economy is vibrant.  It relies on one thing ?? oil.  Only then will we see a true revolution in Iran.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »
i'm totally getting a bike next week, though
o/\o

walkonby

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »
yes, bikes do have every right to be on the road with cars.  and yes, a lot more people are going to be riding bikes to work on these roads they are so privileged to be on.  then just like the cars that have every right to be there as well, all bike riders should be enforced to have signal lights on their bikes, enforced (with $500 tickets like not wearing a seat belt) to wear helmets, and be made to have a licence to ride one.  you have to go to the dnmv (dept. of non-motor vehicles) to pass a written and field test.  you must get it inspected every year, have county/city stickers, and insurance.  take that lance.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »
you should submit your idea to the skull and bones
o/\o

walkonby

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »
that yale group?

??My view of secret societies is they're like the first class cabin in airplanes. They're really impressive until you get into them, and then once you're there they're a little dull. So you hear all these conspiracy theories about Skull and Bones,? says Brooks.

??Skull and Bones narrowly endorsed admitting women,? says Robbins. ??The day before these women were supposed to be initiated, a group of Bonesmen, including William F. Buckley, obtained a court order to block the initiation claiming that letting women into the tomb would lead to date rape."

Sir HC

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 10:39:00 am »
I always like to think of it as you are paying for the next tanker of gas the station is getting.  And so on back the chain.  So price of oil up, everyone kicks it up to get ready when they have to pay more.

Why not down the same way?  Free market, keep it up until that first guy drops it and then chaos to hit the stable point.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 10:45:00 am »
Just remember to obey the traffic laws.

I run on the Mall, and twice in one week recently I was nearly run over by cyclists running red lights as I legally jogged in the crosswalk with the walk light on.

I think one of our former boardies was once hit by a hit and run cyclist disregarding traffic lights in Adams-Morgan.

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  i'm totally getting a bike next week, though

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 10:50:00 am »
Originally posted by Ever Circling Skeletal Family:
  In manks make believe world we would all stop buying gas, which means we couldn't go to work or to the mall or out to dinner or the game and bring the country to it's ankles (it's already down it's knees thanks to hee-haw) and gas would come down so we would buy it and start going to work, the mall, out to dinner and the game!!!!
it sure is nice to live somewhere where you can walk/take transit to just about everything
(o|o)