Author Topic: Doctor Who?  (Read 1178 times)

Chip Chanko

Doctor Who?
« on: December 01, 2006, 11:35:00 am »
Any big Doctor Who fans out there? I saw a few episodes with the scarf guy when I was little but it would always freak the hell out of me. Any recommedations on where to start? Is it worth watching from the first doctor through, in order? Are doctors 2 and 3 skippable?

ratioci nation

Re: Doctor Who?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 11:40:00 am »
I really liked season 1 of the new Doctor Who that is shown on the sci fi channel, I have missed most of season 2 with the new Doctor.  I dont know much about the older ones.  MTB-Markie would be the one to ask if he ever checks the board again.

Sir HC

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 12:35:00 pm »
I think it was cool once it went color with the doctor before the guy with scarfs.  The stories are the good part, the acting and stage sets look *very* dated.

poorlulu

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 08:27:00 pm »
MTB Markie here.

The Dr with the scarves was Tom Baker who more recently did the narration for Little Britain. His time was my era and it always had me hiding behind the sofa. I have seen them more recently and they are awful. I cannot bear to watch.

I do really like the two new series of Dr Who. Christopher Ecclestone and the guy from Harry Pooter and the Goblet of fire both make brilliant TV.

Reechard D Taylor

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 05:50:00 am »
Personally, I think the golden age of Dr Who was the 70s. That decade started with the debut of Jon Pertwee as the Doctor, followed in 1974 by Tom Baker (the scarf guy). Calling the special effects bad or dated or whatever is missing the point entirely, the show was never about that. The thing that made the show a cult classic was the quirky writing and performances. I've seen some of the new Who and I liked that too but for my money I'll take the 70s version over that anyday. I wouldn't start off with the first 2 doctors (the ones in B&W). Not that they're not good, but the 70s was the creative apex for the series, at least in my humble opinion.

Cheers mate!
 Rick

Chip Chanko

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 10:28:00 am »
Excellent. Advice taken. I'll call you in the morning.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 03:30:00 pm »
I'm an old Pertwee fan myself.  Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart.  The Master.  Autons.

His son Sean is also in films too.