i got their cd from a friend...

paige

Re: awk
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2004, 10:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

Originally posted by i do not heart your balls:
  i even bought a Locust apron!
Is that for when you are preparing your cicada dishes? Yum! [/b]
it's for all purposes! i have been wearing it quite a bit actually. i'm tempted to make it an accessory of sorts to my outfits.

the locust played about... 30+ songs? set list was insanely long of course. so great. mmmm the locust.

krcube

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2004, 01:57:00 am »
Originally posted by i do not heart your balls:

Originally posted by nkotbie:
  Sorry, I didn't mean to step on your toes.  I just figured you weren't around yesterday, and I sure do love a girl looking like she was in Flashdance...

Back to AWK, who would've thunk that my Friday night would've been spent dancing on the 9:30 Club stage with members of the Locust?  Awesome.  And it was great seeing Markie, Lulu, Pollard and Bags...quite a surprise, as Mark began attacking me in the crowd.  Did anyone catch the mysterious fifth member of the Locust guesting on one of their songs?

Originally posted by walkie hearts you all:

Originally posted by nkotbie:
 That'll get you a beer or two, no doubt.  
 [/b]
not if the man has anything to say about it... [/b]
[/b]
;)   haha don't worry about it nkotbie... as you can read below.. walks meant "the man" not "the walksters"...

anyway.. awesome awesome show! i really went to see the locust, but awk was definitely a huge plus. i loved when the members of the locust came back on stage during awk's set in tightie whities and short shorts and were shaking their booties in front of everyone. the cheerleaders were hilarious too. "You probably can't even see me right now.. BUT TONIGHT IS GOING TO BE A PARTY!!!" - oh awk, gotta love him.

sadly i didn't end up rocking the legwarmers because i definitely should have. one thing that pissed me off about the crowd though were the people unschooled in going to shows in general.. they were standing right in front during the locust's set, bitching the ENTIRE time about how lame they were, and how their were so weird... i was like "hey guys maybe if you aren't into the band you should get the hell out of the way and let everyone else enjoy their set." i also spotted a few girls in miniskirts and high heeled sandals, clinging to their boyfriends while everyone else spazdanced around them, throwing elbows and fists in every direction.  

all in all, a fucking great show.
 i even bought a Locust apron! [/b]
i was standing about two kids away from those asshats who kept shit talking on the locust, they even put wrote "the locust suck" on index cards and put them on one of the floor speakers.  my girlfriend what about to hit them in the ear.  by the way, in case anyone saw me, i was the chubby black guy wearing the weave at the very front and responsible for throwing it into the crowd after i got on stage.  it was great to see it thrown around, but besides that, it was the most amazing show of my life.

paige

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 11:27:00 am »
Originally posted by krcube:
    by the way, in case anyone saw me, i was the chubby black guy wearing the weave at the very front and responsible for throwing it into the crowd after i got on stage.  it was great to see it thrown around, but besides that, it was the most amazing show of my life.
i was totally behind you! rock!

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2004, 11:32:00 am »
I just want to know what an "asshat" is? Is that some new lingo that hasn't made its way to the white part of town yet?

Celeste

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 11:37:00 am »
maybe its like one of those female condoms or a dental dam, but for the ass? like an ass-condom...ass-hat...like jimmy-hat?

krcube

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
there's a white part of dc?  actually, i'm the only black person that i know of that actually uses the slang.  i could have efficiently described the locust haters as 'cunts', but that would have been offensive, kind of.

ggw

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2004, 11:44:00 am »
Part One: The Origins and Spread to the United States

From what I can trace back from archived IRC chats, the term 'asshat' was first used in the large European country of Sweden as an alternative for the word ??asshole.??  From Sweden, by way of both train and ship, the word found it??s way to the shores of western France, where it was used by a software coder named Louis (LOO-ee) in a telephone conversation with his second cousin in Newfoundland.  This great man was responsible for sending this fashionable European word to North America for all children to enjoy!

Once on the North American continent, there was no stopping it??s spread to the states.  In a June 2000 memo to US-Canadian Customs agents, they were warned to not let this word slip across the border.  At this point the word had such a Canadian backing that there was no way to stop it??s glorious spread.  And so, ??asshat?? was first used in the US by an Inuit man named Pukkeenegak who slipped across the border in his kayak.  God bless the Inuit!

Americans were, at first, wary to this new word.  They had grown up using ??asshole,?? ??assclown,?? (premier in Office Space) and even ??asshead.??  What was to force them to add yet another word to their vocabulary?  The Internet, of course!  Using radiocarbon dating, we have determined that some of the first widespread usage of the word ??asshat?? was in several Kevin Smith fan newsgroups, all located in California.  Luckily, there are also Kevin Smith fans in the northeast United States, so the word quickly bounded an entire continent and made it to New York City.

Everyone knows that New York City is a melting pot of culture, drugs, and comedians.  The Bamboni family of Brooklyn, NY was  the first to use the word ??asshat?? in common day talk.  Donny Bamboni was quoted in July 2001 as telling a cashier at 7-11 to, ??put the money in the bag, asshat!?  Several scared patrons of this convenience store quickly jumped on planes and flew back home, carrying the word with them.  And Donny took the word to Rikers Island, where all the prisoners began using the word in a different context than an insult.

It is feasible to guess that by November, 2001, the word asshat was now in full usage all around the United States.  Secretary of State Collin Powell was quoth in early 2002 as saying the following at a State Dinner: (in regards to Usama bin Laden) ??We have not yet found that asshat [bin Laden], but we??re sure as hell trying.?

In terms of an age breakdown, it seems that colleges students between the ages of 18-25 most commonly use the word asshat, but children as young as six have been heard using the word.  Current demography predicts that by the end of 2003, the word asshat will be a commonly used word among high school students and among the 35-35 year old working class.  It also appears that, through misinformation, the word is loosing it??s set definition.  The next section will discuss its proper usages.

http://www.confusednation.com/asshat/

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2004, 11:46:00 am »
I wonder if I can pick up an asshat when I go to Ikea?

ggw

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2004, 11:52:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I wonder if I can pick up an asshat when I go to Ikea?
Some people believe you already picked one up.

And then married her.

Guiny

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2004, 12:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I just want to know what an "asshat" is? Is that some new lingo that hasn't made its way to the white part of town yet?
No, just the Alt Country part of town, which is a very, very small part of town.

Celeste

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2004, 12:04:00 pm »
oh, GGW, you're just jealous  :p