Author Topic: Matches are Safer than Lighters  (Read 1658 times)

sonickteam

Matches are Safer than Lighters
« on: April 14, 2005, 09:27:00 am »
apparently

ahhhh, America.....the land of the free....

TSA Bans Lighters From Flights

By Sara Kehaulani Goo
 Washington Post Staff Writer
 Tuesday, March 1, 2005; Page A06

Airline passengers will no longer be allowed to bring cigarette lighters on board commercial airplanes beginning April 14, ending a security loophole that lawmakers said could be exploited by terrorists seeking to light explosives in the cabin.

But the Transportation Security Administration acknowledged yesterday that another loophole remains: Passengers may currently bring up to four books of matches aboard an aircraft. TSA officials said they had hoped to ban both matches and lighters, but the White House Office of Management and Budget resisted the inclusion of matches, which was not specified in the recently passed law banning lighters.

An OMB spokesman said the TSA needs to complete a cost-benefit analysis of banning matches.

"If we move to add matches to the list, we will post the proposal for public comment," TSA spokesman Mark Hatfield said.

Until the ban goes into effect, TSA security screeners will inform passengers who carry lighters that they will no longer be allowed on airplanes in April. Even though lighters and matches are not easily detectable by X-ray machines and metal detectors, TSA security screeners will confiscate them if they find them inside a passenger's luggage.

The ban on lighters comes at the direction of Congress, which attached a measure to the intelligence bill signed into law last December prohibiting "butane" lighters.

Airport officials feared the ban would pose several problems, including whether smoking lounges in terminals could remain open. They also wondered how the TSA could impose the ban since many lighters would slip past screening machines.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: Matches are Safer than Lighters
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 09:48:00 am »
The thing about matches is they'd be nearly impossible to screen out of luggage -- I can't imagine they show up at all in xray machines.   So you'd have law-abiding citizens voluntarily taking their matches out, and terrorists and compulsive smokers just smuggling them right through.
_\|/_

sonickteam

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 10:02:00 am »
and lighters dont always go off in the metal detectors anyway!

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 10:30:00 am »
I think they should ban smokers from planes....aww to hell with it, ban smokers from everything what do you say? You with me?

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 10:58:00 am »
well smokers and terrorists are virtually one and the same!
_\|/_

sonickteam

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 11:29:00 am »
how about we just ban everything that someone else doesnt like!!! great idea!

Liberte

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 04:04:00 pm »
I think you'd see all kinds of social improvements, from enhanced travel security to reduced airport congestion to reversing America's obesity epidemic, if airline passengers were simply required to travel naked and without luggage.  Non-travelers would of course have to turn back at the airport entrance.

Plus, all these new industries would spring up, like storing your stuff at the departure point and renting you new stuff at the arrival point.

sonickteam

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 04:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Liberte:
   if airline passengers were simply required to travel naked...

...new industries would spring up
YOU BETCHA!!!!

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 05:45:00 am »
Originally posted by white man from town:

Originally posted by Liberte:
 [qb]  if airline passengers were simply required to travel naked...

[/b]
Great idea...unless you end up with a seat next to a fat-arse with personal hygene issues.

flawd101

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 09:30:00 am »
i just imagine planes full of naked guys hopeing to see naked hot chicks!

soon are pant zippers will be made out of plastic and everyone will need see through bags.  also we will probably all live in bubbles so we can hurt anyone.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 09:32:00 am »
welcome back flawd, so how is computer lab going?
T.Rex

flawd101

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
computer lab?

is that a comment of how i cant log on to this board from my school?

computer graphics is awesome...robotics was fun!