Author Topic: Rollcall: Comets on Fire  (Read 4072 times)

nkotb

Rollcall: Comets on Fire
« on: August 31, 2006, 05:00:00 pm »
Any takers?

snailhook

Re: Rollcall: Comets on Fire
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 05:01:00 pm »
of course i'm there.

did you make it to the advantage?

nkotb

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 05:10:00 pm »
I did; it was a lot of fun.  I missed Durga Temple, but caught maybe the best French Toast set I've seen, and considering I've never enjoyed them live before, that's saying something.  Of course, the other two times they've just been a duo, so maybe it's the extra punch that the bass gives that really sells it.

And the Advantage were even better than I thought they'd be.  I'm still amazed that they're able to play that seamlessly, especially considering it was essentially 6 or 7 medleys of songs all running together.

I saw you at the very end by the door, but by that time I had to rush home to let in a houseguest who had forgotten his keys.  I'll definitely introduce myself tomorrow night, though.

Originally posted by snailhook:
  of course i'm there.

did you make it to the advantage?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 05:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  I did; it was a lot of fun.  I missed Durga Temple, but caught maybe the best French Toast set I've seen, and considering I've never enjoyed them live before, that's saying something.  Of course, the other two times they've just been a duo, so maybe it's the extra punch that the bass gives that really sells it.
I have just the opposite opinion of French Toast.  I think they were much more interesting as a duo.  As a trio they're turning into just another indie rock band.  The experimental nature of their songs isn't as prominent as it used to be.    That being said, the Warehouse show seemed a bit looser than the last couple times I've seen them.  That's a good thing.  It made for a much more interesting set.   Looking forward to the new record.

I caught Durga Temple's last song.  It was... ummm... loud.   :)

ggw

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 05:27:00 pm »
The S-K show was my first time seeing French Toast as a duo.  I thought they were great.

I'm looking at 3:1 odds of making the Comets on Fire show.  I've really been digging the new album and it has great potential to make a smokin' live set.

snailhook

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 06:58:00 pm »
comets on fire are one of the best live bands around right now. i've seen them six times and they never disappoint. it's nonstop action and riffs galore.

Relaxer

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 09:06:00 am »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  comets on fire are one of the best live bands around right now. i've seen them six times and they never disappoint. it's nonstop action and riffs galore.
Damn, that's right up my alley. And I like Sounds of Kaleidoscope (sounds like Ummagumma to me) a lot so this is a can't-miss.
oword

nkotb

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 09:12:00 am »
I guess I'm in the minority then.  I think my biggest problem with them as a duo are Busher's songs.  I'm just not a fan of his singing or his lyrics ("Not everybody wants to be a money-grubbing killing machine"?  Come on!), so having the extra muscle power drowns those out a bit for me.  Oh well...

Anyway, see you all tonight.  I'm mega-psyched for riffage!

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  The S-K show was my first time seeing French Toast as a duo.  I thought they were great.

snailhook

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 11:47:00 am »
i agree with nkotb regarding french toast: while they were more interesting as a duo, they're much more consistent and focused as a trio. despite the fact that they're pretty derivative of mission of burma and wire, they do it well. the bassist gives them a much-needed punch.

ggw

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 02:34:00 pm »
Any chance this will sell out?

nkotb

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 08:31:00 am »
Awesome.  The first rain we've had in two months winds up flooding our basement last night, meaning instead of seeing a show I've been looking forward to for weeks, I have to run clean-up.  Does anyone want to tell me that the show was awful?

snailhook

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 01:42:00 pm »
you're in luck...it was nowhere near as good as an army of me show.

Relaxer

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 03:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  Awesome.  The first rain we've had in two months winds up flooding our basement last night, meaning instead of seeing a show I've been looking forward to for weeks, I have to run clean-up.  Does anyone want to tell me that the show was awful?
Right before I left the house, I noticed the attic was leaking into one of our bedrooms. I knew that if my wife found out, she'd never let me go to a show because I'd have to work on it or help her worry about it. So I put a towel in a bucket, set it up, closed the door and hoped she wouldn't go in there. Success! Until this morning.

Great show. I liked all three bands. I hated Benjee Whatsisname at first, but it got better and better (cello with guitar sounded real nice) and by the end of it, I thought it was great.

Kaleidoscope was great too. So cool having a local band that brings the noise like that, and the drummer is a demon.

Comets on Fire put on the best set I've seen all year and beyond. It was like a modern day Hawkwind, with totally rockin space jams. Every song was great and they are true action rock heroes.

I can't imagine a better way to spend 12 bucks and a Friday night than on 3 great bands. Again and again I kept saying, I couldn't be happier with how this is going.
oword

BookerT

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 04:56:00 pm »
this was a fun show. benjy ferree was excellent, and once the domino promotional machine gets behind him, i'm sure lots of folks on here will be adding his name to the "great local bands" thread. his songs could maybe be a bit shorter, but he certainly has his sound down. you can stream his album  here, and i suggest you do.

k'scope played a great set, one of the best i've seen by them lately. very loud, very noisy, but the songs were still there. alex, their drummer, has an amazing combination of precision and, uh, smashing. these guys should be nationally known.

i'll admit CoF weren't exactly my thing, but i enjoyed it well enough for the 40 minutes i stayed. for the first 30 minutes, every song seemed like it'd make a great, crazy set closer. that's just how they roll, tho. i enjoyed the couple quieter numbers they did, but by that point i'd had enough. how was the rest?

Relaxer

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 05:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
   how was the rest?
I thought it was great. Final encore was a rockin cover of La Grange.
oword