Author Topic: mp3 blogger ethics  (Read 832 times)

bellenseb

mp3 blogger ethics
« on: September 03, 2006, 11:28:00 pm »
Can anyone comment on the common practice of mp3 blogs posting 1 or 2 mp3s of the artist they're writing up (in most cases without permission)?

I realize that a major point of these blogs is to promote the music. Most blog ethics posts I've seen say the rule of thumb is to post no more than 2 songs from an album.

Yet, we've gotten to the point where the overwhelming majority of artists on all levels offer some downloadable or streamble music on their band/label/myspace site. Now, this music may not include the precise song you're talking up or want to post...but since the artist is being proactive about samples, it seems kind of skeezy to post another song on your blog. No matter how good the intentions.

An artist that has made no clips available anywhere, I can see...or if it's a live recording that's not available...something super-out-of-print...but not just this killer song from the new album of a band you love...

Thoughts?

redsock

Re: mp3 blogger ethics
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 01:11:00 am »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Can anyone comment on the common practice of mp3 blogs posting 1 or 2 mp3s of the artist they're writing up (in most cases without permission)?

I realize that a major point of these blogs is to promote the music. Most blog ethics posts I've seen say the rule of thumb is to post no more than 2 songs from an album.

Yet, we've gotten to the point where the overwhelming majority of artists on all levels offer some downloadable or streamble music on their band/label/myspace site. Now, this music may not include the precise song you're talking up or want to post...but since the artist is being proactive about samples, it seems kind of skeezy to post another song on your blog. No matter how good the intentions.

An artist that has made no clips available anywhere, I can see...or if it's a live recording that's not available...something super-out-of-print...but not just this killer song from the new album of a band you love...

Thoughts?
We only link to existing mp3s, which are usually located on the band/label website. We don't host anything on our site, so i don't feel bad about anything we link to.

Bombay Chutney

Re: mp3 blogger ethics
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 10:40:00 am »
My thoughts....

Post any one song, then link to the artist's website and say "go here to hear more".  Or maybe post a second song that the band also has up on their site.  That way the user gets to hear more music, but you're not posting too many songs that thae artist was holding back.

Avoid posting "bonus tracks" that are specifically added to the CD as an enticement to buy it.  

Always link back to the band's site somewhere.

Try to post a link to where the end-user can actually buy the music.  Even if it's just a direct link to the item on Amazon or Best Buy.  Make it easy for them to actually support the artist.

I'd also recommend not leaving the songs up forever.  Take them down after a month or so.  

I think these kinds of things show that you're just trying to promote the band, rather than just becoming a repository for free music.  I think most bands that need the publicity appreciate that kind of support.