Author Topic: So, I had this idea....  (Read 1723 times)

redsock

So, I had this idea....
« on: March 26, 2004, 04:49:00 pm »
...Not that I really have the time, but it occurred to me, that something we have all complained about at some point, is how there is no way to see old schedules of shows at the Black Cat or 930 Club. We often have a hard time coming up with who played when, when the last time so and so played there, who opened...well it was that shitty band...but you can never remember their name.

Well, what if there was an online resource that began to combine all of this information in one place. As individuals, we only know so much...but as a whole, plus with all the freaks out there who collect all their ticket stubs from the last 20 years, plus with whatever help we can get from staff and mgmt. at the clubs, putting together a web resource wouldn't be as hard as you think.

My initial concept would include a web form that basically just collected data from folks, who would all input shows they've been to, plus the details. Once you get two hits for the same show, it can go up in the archive. Possibilties include folks being able to upload pics or recordings from the events, scanned ticket stubs, memories, etc...

So yeah...its friday, but I've been thinking about this for awhile actually. Lord knows I'm busy enough...but it would be fucking cool.

I'll go back to work now....

ratioci nation

Re: So, I had this idea....
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 04:54:00 pm »
It would probably be better if it wasn't all automated, the site would become a mess then, info would have to be checked before put up or would be useless.  Really would not be very hard to do.  In fact I have most of the code written to do different parts of that on various sites  :) .

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 05:01:00 pm »
i can probably host it seeing as i have heaps of bandwidth i never use
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 05:09:00 pm »
Sounds like a fabu idea, but really a prospective tool.  While you may get some info on past schedules, I think it will be so full of holes, it would be of interest but not real help....that sounded more negative than I intend....oh guru, my guru....

ggw

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 05:11:00 pm »
"fabu" ?

Bags

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 05:12:00 pm »
as in fabulous, like your own bad self...

eltee

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 05:15:00 pm »
Funny you should ask...I've been meaning to contact to the club to see if they'd like to see what I have come up with, and if they don't mind me keeping track (never know)...I've known many like to have an archive list, myself included. Thus, I keep schedules. Then put into an Excel sheet for now. I mostly started to do it to keep track of the opening acts to check them out at a later date.
 If Kosmo wants to, and clear w/ the club, I can manage the sheet and send to Kosmo for "prettying up".

mankie

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 05:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  "fabu" ?
I think it's gay talk..Bags is fluent in fagspeak.

eltee

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 05:17:00 pm »
Oh, I have the list for the 9:30 club...started last year. I have some schedules for the Black Cat, but haven't been really keeping track.

ggw

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 05:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bollocks:

"fabu" ?
I think it's gay talk..Bags is fluent in fagspeak. [/b]
I thought it might be queerbonics, but wasn't sure.

mankie

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 05:32:00 pm »

Originally posted by Bollocks:

"fabu" ?
I think it's gay talk..Bags is fluent in fagspeak. [/b]
I thought it might be queerbonics, but wasn't sure. [/b]
Queerbonics is the pc term, fagspeak is word on the street...or rather avenue.

mankie

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 05:35:00 pm »
Back to topic...I wish I'd done something like this for myself because I honestly don't remember half the concerts I went to back in the day. I could be having a conversation with someone and something will be mentioned like "Remember at the Jam concert when all the power went out" and I'll think...shit, I did see the Jam didn't I?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004, 05:43:00 pm »
This is one thing I've been pretty meticulous about since I started going to concerts.  Saved every ticket stub.  Kept track of most opening acts I saw. Kept a list of dates and venues.  The holes in my list are mostly shows that didn't return a TicketMaster-type stub.  I also didn't keep track of opening acts that I missed, if I got there late.   It's pretty cool to see every show I've been to in one long list.

eltee

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2004, 06:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Skeeter:
  This is one thing I've been pretty meticulous about since I started going to concerts.  Saved every ticket stub.  Kept track of most opening acts I saw. Kept a list of dates and venues.  The holes in my list are mostly shows that didn't return a TicketMaster-type stub.  I also didn't keep track of opening acts that I missed, if I got there late.   It's pretty cool to see every show I've been to in one long list.
I try and do that too...as you said there are some holes. Also, some of the schedules don't include sold out shows. And tickets.com doesn't put anything other than the main act(s).