Author Topic: Lemonheads  (Read 2436 times)

jbcapati

Lemonheads
« on: December 14, 2006, 12:08:00 pm »
Anybody checking out this show tonight at Black Cat?  I saw them years ago and was dissapointed.  The new album is ok...any word on how their live shows are these days?

jetelo

Re: Lemonheads
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 12:50:00 pm »
I'll be there.  Missed the last show at the Black Cat, heard it was not too good.  Saw the one 2 years ago at Iota and it was one of Evan's best by himself.  I think songs 1-5 on the new album are terrific, but it drops off after that.  As far as live, you never know what you'll get with Evan.  He has new band guys with him, again, but he usually is best alone.

dfmcpete

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 01:33:00 pm »
I'll be there. Checking around recent reviews, seems he's playing a mix of old and new, with solo stuff in the middle. Guys from Descendents are his band on the new album, and I think live, which is badass.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 05:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by dfmcpete:
  I'll be there. Checking around recent reviews, seems he's playing a mix of old and new, with solo stuff in the middle. Guys from Descendents are his band on the new album, and I think live, which is badass.
Nope, the Descendants guys aren't on the tour.  At least that's what I read in the Washington Post Express.

dfmcpete

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 10:45:00 am »
You are correct, senor, was not the Descendents guys. The guy on bass actually said he was the 11th Lemonheads bassist. Turnover's a bitch.

Enjoyable show all around. Dando seemed gracious but a bit scattered, but I've never seen them before, so I have nothing to compare it to. They played maybe half of the new album, but mostly old stuff. He seemed disinterested in a few songs--with "Into Your Arms" and the "Luka" cover (which I didn't expect them to play at all), you got kind of an abbreviated verse-chorus-noodling-end version, skipping around a lot. Also played "Kick Out the Jams" into "Skulls." Only songs I wanted/expected to hear and didn't were "Big Gay Heart" and, uh, "Mrs. Robinson."

"Outdoor Type" and "Rudderless" sounded great.

chaz

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 11:51:00 am »
Originally posted by dfmcpete:

Only songs I wanted/expected to hear and didn't were "Big Gay Heart" and, uh, "Mrs. Robinson."

In the same article I mentioned before Evan said they only played "Mrs. Robinson" once - the day they recoreded.  Never played it live....it was recorded and included on the album at the urging of the record company.

I've never seen him solo or whith the Lemonheads, but I did see him with that Wayne Kramer/Dennis Thompson/Mark Arm/Marshall Crenshaw MC% tribut tour a few years back.  It was actually a great show mostly, but Evan came of like a complete dolt and butchered the songs he sang.  He actually appeared to be slightly retarded or something.

BTW, if you've never seen him live, do yourself a favor and get out to a Wayne Kramer show if you can.  One of the greatest living Rock guitarists in my book.  He knows how to throw down with that thing.  Doesn't really matter what the material is...I've caught a few tours of touting various products, and just seeing him play is witnessing greatness.

jetelo

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »
Wow, he packed about 25-30 songs in that set.  Evan Dando was clearly in a good mood, and did not disappoint me or my friend.  He is a good performer, and his show is a good time.  Pulled out lots of old stuff, played 5 or 6 from the new album.  His voice was not there to hit the higher ones, but he entertained very well.  I originally saw he would be at Sonar in February, but no longer see it listed.  If he does appear, it is well worth the price.

wogg

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 01:02:00 pm »
Long time lurker first time poster. Dando was very entertaining, and I thought Vietnam reeked of awesome.

Driveway

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 01:35:00 pm »
I thought it was the best Lemonheads show I've seen since they played the 9:30 in '97.  Tenderfoot was a great suprise and Luka too.  I love his solos, they are random and all over the place.  Here is the setlist from Evandando.co.uk:

Black Gown
 Down About It
 Confetti
 Tenderfoot
 Pittsburgh
 Poughkeepsie -- one line ("I forgot the words.")
 Turnpike Down
 Bit Part
 Allison's Starting to Happen
 Great Big No
 Ray
 Hospital
 Ride With Me
 Baby I'm Home
 It's About Time
 No Backbone
 Into Your Arms
 My Drug Buddy
 Let's Just Laugh
 Rick James Style
 Hate Your Friends

solo:
 Kick Out the Jams (cool slow version)
 Skulls
 Being Around
 Outdoor Type

back with band:
 Luka
 If I Could Talk
 Rudderless
 Happy Birthday

chaz

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »
Is this "Skulls" by the Misfits?

jetelo

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 02:05:00 pm »
yes

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 03:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by DriveWay:
  Outdoor Type
wait, is this the song from "the tao of steve" when they're doing the hike?
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 04:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:

Originally posted by DriveWay:
  Outdoor Type
wait, is this the song from "the tao of steve" when they're doing the hike? [/b]
that would be a yes, i should look stuff up before i ask on here ... i always thought that song was written for the movie, it fits almost too perfectly with the film
(o|o)