Author Topic: Independent bands gaining popularity through commercials  (Read 3101 times)

ratioci nation

Independent bands gaining popularity through commercials
« on: March 29, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
An irony: Independent bands gaining popularity through commercials

The article talks about Pas/Cal who are playing the velvet lounge on 4/11

Band Website Here

Big Yawn Review of First EP

Bags

Re: Independent bands gaining popularity through commercials
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 11:48:00 am »
Hey, if you want to be a musician full time, gotta get some cash and exposure some way.

That Pas/Cal website is hysterical; they have their albums listed with "recommended" and "also recommended" notations.  It's their own website, duh, the albums are recommended....!

They sound kind of twee and british and sunny...could make for a cool Lounge show.

Thanks, pollard.

markie

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 12:06:00 pm »
Ummmmm that show is the same night as lambchops not yet confirmed stint at iota. They are good, but they are no Lambchop.

Taster

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 12:16:00 pm »
This is going to be a bit vague, but if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.  In January, I saw a car comercial (I think saturn) and basically it had this guy walking down a beach or boardwalk and he kept running into everything.  Anyway, I loved the song.  It sounded like it could be something Super Furry Animals had done, but thats just a stab in the dark.  I've nver seen the comerical again.  Does this sound familar to anyone?

jkeisenh

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 12:20:00 pm »
You know, I just about freaked when I heard Gravity Rides Everything on a car commercial-- so random.  But I think whether or not a car commercial makes a band "big" has to do with how hard it is to find the song.

For example, VW puts the song and artist names from their ads on their webpage.  That helps.  In the case of others, though, especially with more indy music, it's not so simple.  The lyrics "Gravity Rides Everything" weren't played during the commercial, it's a song that doesn't sound like Modest Mouse's usual stuff, and it would be somewhat hard working from nothing to know where to start looking...

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 12:22:00 pm »

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 12:27:00 pm »
I remember back in the old days when people used to get pissed off when their favorite rock band's songs were turned into commercials. Now you guys all think it's a good thing? What happened to the to the spirit of independence of days gone by?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 12:30:00 pm »
damn fresh out of troll food
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 12:32:00 pm »
I think it's different when a band that's 'made it' sells out for commercials, for one.  Also, it's become so prevalent, we're inured to it a bit.

Here we're talking about indie bands that aren't selling out but are selling 'up' -- this is what might bring them enough attention to make it as a full time band.  Whereas when you hear the Cure or U2 or R.E.M. on a commercial, you may think "fecking putzes, like they need more money?"  It's just about money, not exposure.

It's tough times for recording artists for so many reasons right now.  Get some exposure and work it, baby, work it.

Guiny

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004, 12:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by poorballball:
  I remember back in the old days when people used to get pissed off when their favorite rock band's songs were turned into commercials. Now you guys all think it's a good thing? What happened to the to the spirit of independence of days gone by?
I'm glad i read all the posts before i wrote something cause i was thinking the exact same thing, if its not their bands its called selling out, if it is their bands then its the coolest thing in the world.   :roll:

ratioci nation

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 12:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  I'm glad i read all the posts before i wrote something cause i was thinking the exact same thing, if its not their bands its called selling out, if it is their bands then its the coolest thing in the world.    :roll:  
Guiny, you are part of they, you are here everyday

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2004, 12:42:00 pm »
so sorry what i meant to say was...

shame on moby, apples in stereo, the shins, the shazam, brendan benson, the dandy warhols, etc for wanting to be able to make a little money from their music. that doesn't involve sleeping on peoples floors, eating crappy food.  

are any of you lot willing to give up a comfortable existence to go out on the road a play to indifferent audiences, maybe sell a couple cds to pay for gas? there are still bands that that the no "sellout" ethic.

personally when i hear a song from a cool band i'm inclind to go out and find it.  it also might mean that a fav artist might be able to tour or put out another record.

i think most of the clamor over selling out was over the beatles "revolution" nike ads... and that case if was micheal jackson who owned the beatles song publishing who was making the money not the beatles.
T.Rex

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2004, 12:54:00 pm »
Well other than when touring, I don't see why a rock musician shouldn't have a second job anyway, be it giving guitar lessons, working in an office, or delivering the mail. I mean, does it really take eight hours a day to practice your instrument and write songs?

ggw

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2004, 12:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
 I'm glad i read all the posts before i wrote something cause i was thinking the exact same thing, if its not their bands its called selling out, if it is their bands then its the coolest thing in the world.    :roll:  
You must be stoked about that new Carnival Cruise commercial with the "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" soundtrack.

Celeste

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2004, 12:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by poorballball:
  I mean, does it really take eight hours a day to practice your instrument and write songs?
acutally, it could easily take that long...my dad used to play for 8 hours because he loved it so much, and he wasn't even a "professional"...

as with any such things...let the market decide...