Author Topic: Reagan Still Dead.  (Read 11352 times)

keithstg

Re: Reagan Still Dead.
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2004, 12:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
  it's a great opportunity to get searched, to get patted down, to get guns pointed at you, to have dogs sniffin' your stuff, and to generally that that true-to-life police state warm fuzzy feeling.

oh, that and get stuck in traffic (if you're silly enough to be a car driver.)
Well, with 20 heads of state coming to town, what were you expecting? Come on. And, why would you be concerned about a dog sniffing your stuff? Leave the cheeb at home.

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2004, 12:57:00 pm »
Yes, I've encountered all of those annoyances myself, including being threatened to have the cops called on me after I ran out of patience with moron security guards at the airport and became belligerent.

I even have to go through an x=ray detector to get into work now...which means I can't bring the vodka into work anymore.

But you know what? How many terrorists attacks have we had on US soil since 9/11? You gotta figure they must be doing something right.

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Exactly what freedoms are they taking away? As long as you're not carrying anything that you shouldn't be, you're not going to get any hassle.

Sure, it's a pain in the ass to get searched, but better safe than sorry.
Apparently you havent been at BWI or any other airport when they have a confusion at security (which they call a breach to make it sound important, though they never actually arrest anyone) and have to stand in line for 3 hours while they figure out that they are fucking numbskulls in the first place.

or maybe it hasnt taken you 1/2 hour to get into the hockey game one night because the "guards are there" searching everyone tonight.

as for freedoms, outside of the airport (which has stipped you of almost every freedom you really had there, except to spend $29 on a diposable camera that they inspect for 2 minutes at the security booth) I dont really go out much, but i do know that since 9/11 the road i used to take to work is now blocked off so i have to cut WAY around and it takes me twice as long to get there.

its just sorta funny that for being the "do whatever we want" americans, you people have sure learned how to take it up the ass and shut up afwul quickly!   :)  [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2004, 01:00:00 pm »
  Yes, I've encountered all of those annoyances myself, including being threatened to have the cops called on me after I ran out of patience with moron security guards at the airport and became belligerent.

I even have to go through an x=ray detector to get into work now...which means I can't bring the vodka into work anymore.

But you know what? How many terrorists attacks have we had on US soil since 9/11? You gotta figure they must be doing something right.

listen to what you are saying! how many Terrorist attacks have we had on US soil in the 3 years PRIOR to 9/11, the 3 years before that?

In fact, how many have we had since 1776 or whenever you clowns beat the Brits.

like 4 or something, you are averaging like 1 every 50 years!  so i say, fuck em cause they aint coming back til 2050.  

I bet DC will come up with some big plan to stop the cicadas from coming next year too wont they.   It'll cost us all a lot of money too i am sure.

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2004, 01:06:00 pm »
spoken like someone who lives in a town terrorists wouldn't bother attacking anyway...

and you're a little off on your math:

http://nsi.org/Library/Terrorism/facterr.html

U.S. TERRORIST INCIDENTS
 From 1983 to 1991, the Federal Bureau of Investigation identified 101 terrorist incident in the United States.

keithstg

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2004, 01:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

listen to what you are saying! how many Terrorist attacks have we had on US soil in the 3 years PRIOR to 9/11, the 3 years before that?

In fact, how many have we had since 1776 or whenever you clowns beat the Brits.

like 4 or something, you are averaging like 1 every 50 years!  so i say, fuck em cause they aint coming back til 2050.  

I bet DC will come up with some big plan to stop the cicadas from coming next year too wont they.   It'll cost us all a lot of money too i am sure. [/b]
No, listen to what YOU are saying. Nothing may happen, so let's be hopelessly unprepared if something should. Sounds like a great idea to me. Hell, I fly every week. Eliminating safety screening would save me time. Ooh, and I wouldn't have to go through a metal detector, or take off my shoes - that's just soo difficult...

jkeisenh

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2004, 01:16:00 pm »
Bottom line:
 If someone really wants to do something, they will find a way, no matter how many dogs/searches/uzi's seem to be trying to hold them back.

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2004, 01:19:00 pm »
But if you can stop 19 out of 20 potential threats by using proper security, isn't only one terrorist attack better than 20?

Bottom line:
 If someone really wants to do something, they will find a way, no matter how many dogs/searches/uzi's seem to be trying to hold them back.

keithstg

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2004, 01:34:00 pm »
  Bottom line:
Oh, ok. Then let's not attempt to deter anything, and just bow to their superior will - it's more convenient that way. It's too bad you place more faith in terrorism being inevitable than you do our security measures.

ratioci nation

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2004, 01:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by keithstg:
  Oh, ok. Then let's not attempt to deter anything, and just bow to their superior will - it's more convenient that way. It's too bad you place more faith in terrorism being inevitable than you do our security measures.
is there anything the government does that you don't trust completely?  

maybe we could try and solve the problems of why terrorists want to attack us rather than spending millions upon millions of dollars on securing us from ourselves, sure a lot of these security measures are not a huge hassle, but they aren't all necessary either, they can't secure everything, so why not create an environment where they don't need to

Venerable Bede

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2004, 01:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

maybe we could try and solve the problems of why terrorists want to attack us rather than spending millions upon millions of dollars on securing us from ourselves, sure a lot of these security measures are not a huge hassle, but they aren't all necessary either, they can't secure everything, so why not create an environment where they don't need to
they hate our freedom. . .
OU812

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2004, 01:48:00 pm »
Terrorists want to attack us because they are fucking terrorists. They are completely out of their mind goons.

There's your answer as to why terrorists want to attack us.

Originally posted by keithstg:

maybe we could try and solve the problems of why terrorists want to attack us rather than spending millions upon millions of dollars on securing us from ourselves, sure a lot of these security measures are not a huge hassle, but they aren't all necessary either, they can't secure everything, so why not create an environment where they don't need to [/b]

ratioci nation

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2004, 01:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  they hate our freedom. . .
don't forget our liberty

ratioci nation

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2004, 01:50:00 pm »
  Terrorists want to attack us because they are fucking terrorists. They are completely out of their mind goons.

There's your answer as to why terrorists want to attack us.

I hope you are kidding

keithstg

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2004, 01:50:00 pm »
 maybe we could try and solve the problems of why terrorists want to attack us rather than spending millions upon millions of dollars on securing us from ourselves, sure a lot of these security measures are not a huge hassle, but they aren't all necessary either, they can't secure everything, so why not create an environment where they don't need to [/QB]
There is plenty that I don't trust, and I agree that we should attempt to solve the root of the problem (if there is just one) as best we can. However, we are not securing ourselves from ourselves, and even if we started working on the "root causes" tomorrow, we would still need to be protected while the causes were fixed. In the case of Islamic extremism, there is virtually nothing we could do to satisfy their aims.

Having spent the past two years speaking on a daily basis with those affected in 9/11 and seeing their pain and trauma, I just don't feel that my convenience should take precedence over others' safety.

keithstg

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2004, 01:56:00 pm »
Double post. All apologies.