Author Topic: Killers jumping the shark?  (Read 7925 times)

helicon1

Killers jumping the shark?
« on: September 07, 2006, 06:30:00 am »
So I just flipped past MTV and they were actually playing a video. It was the Killer's new song. Why does it sound like Meatloaf to me?

Just my first impression, but the whole thing sounds and looks terribly over-produced. Booring.

sonickteam2

Re: Killers jumping the shark?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 09:20:00 am »
i dont get it, everyones saying this....is it really THAT different from their first album? The new song (When You Were Young) sounds just like everything off Hot Fuss to me.

beedubyah

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 09:26:00 am »
Killers soooo sold out. I mean I loved their first album until everyone else started liking it and the radio started playing their stuff. I hate them now.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 09:31:00 am »
I know I've told this story before, but the guy at the dentist office loaned me his Killers album when I was having about three hours of dental work done. It was the first time I had heard them. I preferred the dental work.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 09:41:00 am »
i didnt mind the old album, i dont mind the new song.

the CD isnt going to go in my car and i wont be paying directly for tickets to see them, but they are no worse than the Arctic Monkeys or the Strokes.

distance

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 09:44:00 am »
i thought they were terrible from the start.

bearman🐻

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 09:48:00 am »
I saw them open for Morrissey and thought they were dreadfully boring (and Morrissey wasn't that great either). It's really funny how bands just don't understand rock'n'roll these days. There really are only a handful that get it. I'm happy to see that at least there's still a band like Queens of the Stone Age, but so much depends upon a band's image and not on the music. And what's more, kids don't buy LPs. They download music and it has no value to them. It's disposable, and what's more, fan bases are no longer loyal because people's attention spans are too short. I would hate to be in a rock band in this day and age, unless it was Radiohead. They can pretty much put out a record of Thom York making armpit farts and still sell out venues like the Patriot Center.

walkonby

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 09:49:00 am »
they push alot of magazines with their faces on the cover, and sell out any place they play.  plus they're uber neuvo, wish a dash of filthy rich . . . and that's all that matters in music.  right?

alex

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 09:49:00 am »
I really really hated this band ever since the first times I saw them live opening for Stellastarr*, then even more when their annoying singles hit the airwaves and were played non-stop.  Eventually, Mr Brightside did grow on me to the point where I can tolerate it, but besides that, I really had it out for this band, calling them talentless hacks, etc blah blah.

However, I love the new single.  To me it seems like it's from a totally different band.

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 09:59:00 am »
What is there to "understand" about rock and roll?

Originally posted by bearman:
  I saw them open for Morrissey and thought they were dreadfully boring (and Morrissey wasn't that great either). It's really funny how bands just don't understand rock'n'roll these days. There really are only a handful that get it. I'm happy to see that at least there's still a band like Queens of the Stone Age, but so much depends upon a band's image and not on the music. And what's more, kids don't buy LPs. They download music and it has no value to them. It's disposable, and what's more, fan bases are no longer loyal because people's attention spans are too short. I would hate to be in a rock band in this day and age, unless it was Radiohead. They can pretty much put out a record of Thom York making armpit farts and still sell out venues like the Patriot Center.

ggw

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 10:03:00 am »
I don't know if the band has jumped the shark, but the drummer has reportedly jumped an Olsen twin.

Is Mary-Kate Olsen happily humming the once inescapable tune "Mr. Brightside"? The New York Daily News reports the teeny-tiny twin titan and Killers drummer Ronnie Vannucci were flirting "like teenagers" last Thursday at Manhattan club Bungalow 8 (of course, that description loses a bit of oomph when you consider that up until three months ago, MK was a teenager).

walkonby

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 10:07:00 am »
old people's taste vs. the young.  i love it.

nkotb

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 10:08:00 am »
And doesn't rock n' roll constantly redefine itself?  You can sit around like a dinosaur lamenting the good old days, but music is what it is right now.  And like it or not, music nowadays is downloadable, more easily accessible for kids and more disposable than it's been in the past.  

I'm reading Pitchfork's interview with Oneida right now, and I think they have the right attitude: "Well, the times are changing; let's roll with it."  Digital music does lend itself a little more to the single than the album; is that such a bad thing?  Look at the past...some of the best music was released as singles.  Should we lament that?  I don't think so; it's just another shift.

And if you think even the indie-cred-iest bands dont' care about image, you're highly mistaken.  Hell, have of those bands are MORE cautious of it.

Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:
  What is there to "understand" about rock and roll?

Originally posted by bearman:
[/b]

Big KC

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 10:11:00 am »
Brandon Flowers is going to do anything he can to make his band the next U2......

bearman🐻

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 10:13:00 am »
Understanding the fact that rock'n'roll should be about how you present your music (i.e. well-written songs that shakes music to its core) and not about how you present a look while posing on the red carpet at the VMAs. All one needs to do is listen to a Stooges or early Ramones record. Sure, both bands looked the part, but it was part of who they were. There was some guts and balls to it. But ultimately, the music is what made them matter. Same thing for the Clash.