Author Topic: Snow Patrol?  (Read 2392 times)

brennser

Snow Patrol?
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:11:00 am »
Didn't they, um, play Sunday night? While I don't like the new album, I'm a little surprised theres no thread on this show......or are Snow Patrol so 2005?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Snow Patrol?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 11:01:00 am »
not sure that the eskimos have enough indie cred(tm) for this board.

i really really liked sunday's show.  wasn't mind-bending or surprising, i got what i came for: talented musicians playing energetic live version of nicely crafted songs.  gary's banter with the crowd had a few good highlights.  they said they'd be back in february, i'll definitely be in attendence.  putting the squeeze on my lady during "chasing cars" was soooooo high-schoolish, loved it  :)

augustana was surprisingly good.  chatting with peep around me seemed to confirm that everyone were positively surprised by their set.  one of the better opening acts i've seen at the 930 in a while... although i was a little dissappointed that dan (the singer) didn't finish the b-day shot i brought him  :)
<sig>

Bags

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 11:24:00 am »
I agree with sweetcell on Snow Patrol.  Good show, good lights, Gary always has a great time and brings a great energy to their performance.  Glad I went, not thrilled they didn't go on until midnight on a Sunday night, but what are you gonna do...?

I also don't love the new album, though a few songs from it sounded good live.  I like their faster songs, so opening with Wow and Chocolate was fabulous.

Thought Augustana was extremely weak -- they may be fine musicians, but I was not enjoying their music.  Anyone else think the keyboardist looks like he's from Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem band??

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 11:34:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
   not thrilled they didn't go on until midnight on a Sunday night
hey seth: can you please continue to limit these late shows?!?  ideally to fridays and saturdays only (although i realize that snow patrol was a special case).  it's for the survival of your clients, really... monday morning was indeed a rough one.  i enourage you to continue making late shows an exception.

i'm considering subjecting myself to the same routine for TVotR, after the PSB show at DAR.  ugh.  nobody's fault but miiiiine... admittedly it's better than not having an opportunity to see them at all   :)

oh, forgot to add to my first post: i thought the babe factor was above-average on sunday night  :)
<sig>

Fico

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 12:20:00 pm »
Would just like to point out that members of Cedars and Middle Distance Runner where out until 1:30am Sunday night handing out flyers and cds ...I'll have none of the hipster sell-out bashing once we make it "Killers" big   :p

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 01:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fico:
  Would just like to point out that members of Cedars and Middle Distance Runner where out until 1:30am Sunday night handing out flyers and cds ...I'll have none of the hipster sell-out bashing once we make it "Killers" big    :p  
No matter what Betty says, you're the most dedicated and hardest working band in the business!
27>34

Fico

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 02:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Would just like to point out that members of Cedars and Middle Distance Runner where out until 1:30am Sunday night handing out flyers and cds ...I'll have none of the hipster sell-out bashing once we make it "Killers" big     :p  
No matter what Betty says, you're the most dedicated and hardest working band in the business! [/b]
Oi Smackie.. can't wait to see Rachel "Summer Roberts" Bilson in "the Last Kiss".. the originial movie (Italian, il ultimo bacci) had hot girls to boot so this could be promising...

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 02:29:00 pm »
Was Justin Jones' backing band there?

Would just like to point out that members of Cedars and Middle Distance Runner where out until 1:30am Sunday night handing out flyers and cds ...I'll have none of the hipster sell-out bashing once we make it "Killers" big    :p  

ubermick

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 02:32:00 pm »
Enjoyed the show as well, thought there were a rather excellent live act. I did think that the gig was a bit short (hour and a quarter including encore?) but given the midnight on a Sunday thing, I was fairly glad of it. (Monday mornin', was indeed, rough going.)

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 03:34:00 pm »
  Oi Smackie.. can't wait to see Rachel "Summer Roberts" Bilson in "the Last Kiss".. the originial movie (Italian, il ultimo bacci) had hot girls to boot so this could be promising...
I hear you on that!

Smackette also reported that Rachel said in Us Weekly that she's "over the OC" - could be the last season for Cedars to play the Bait Shop.
27>34

jbcapati

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 04:20:00 pm »
The Snow Patrol show was solid...I thought Gary's vocals were strong, especially in the middle and toward the end of the set.  Good to see (hear) after his throat issues earlier in the year.  "Chasing Cars" has become their new anthem...Gary let the crowd sing the last line for him a la "Run."

The set list was typical of their previous shows in Philly, New York, and Boston.  I was lucky enough to get last minute tix for their Boston show since they moved the rescheduled date to the much bigger Bank America Pavilion.  (There were plenty of extra tix to be had outside the 9:30 for the late Sunday night show.)  I wish they would vary the set list, even just a little bit.  It wouldn't hurt to toss in a song or two from their first two albums or some Reindeer Section.

Does anyone have the set list from the show?

lily1

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 08:14:00 pm »
i can provide you with set list!

spitting games
 wow
 chocolate
  beginning to get to me
 healights
 grazed knees
 chasing cars
 shut your eyes
 how to be dead
 somewhere a clock is ticking
 make this go on forever
 ways and means
 run
 you're all i have
 open your eyes
 tiny little fractures

bags, saw you there, but you scooted up to be closer to the stage before i could say hi. saw your former roommate (who was standing by me), and the "mayor of section 232" as well.

boy and i stood by the soundboard for most of the augustana and all of snow patrol. must say, very much liking being by the sound board-not way crowded, and man, the sound was fantastic!

Bags

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 10:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by lily1:

bags, saw you there, but you scooted up to be closer to the stage before i could say hi. saw your former roommate (who was standing by me), and the "mayor of section 232" as well.

Hysterical...yup, the mayor was there.   ;)   It was a DC United/9:30 Club weekend.  Like many weekends tend to be!

jbcapati

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »
Thanks for the setlist!  As I suspected, it was the exact same setlist from previous shows.

Kudos to the DJ for the nice setlist between sets.  I caught some Arcade Fire and Beirut in there amongst others.

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 03:01:00 pm »
The Post review made this show sound pretty underwhelming.