Author Topic: Starsailor  (Read 3277 times)

beedubyah

Starsailor
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:39:00 am »
Cannot recommend these guys enough. They're of the Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Travis ilk (which I know this board LOVES) but in my opinion do it better than anyone. Lead singer James Walsh has hands down the best voice I have ever heard live. I was only mildly familiar with them the last time I saw them but me and my entire crew were absolutely awestruck the entire time. Since then Ive actually found the albums to be a hair underwhelming but they come amazing in concert.

Go see them.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
Re: Starsailor
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 10:53:00 am »
I just saw them last night in New York, and if I could get down to DC tonight to see them again, I'd be there in a heartbeat (I am seeing Phoenix, so that unfortunately wont work). I thought Snow Patrol put on an awesome show when I saw them Friday night, but Starsailor was even better. James has a fabulous voice live, which doesnt do justice to describing it. Their remix of 'four to the floor' is really awesome as well. Cant remember which cover he played last night, but did do one song with Joseph Arthur (assuming I got the name correct).

I hope for my own reasons they don't get too big, as I know I'll never be able to see them at places like Irving Plaza if they to the size of Keane. For $15 I dont see how any Starsailor fans can pass this up.

Here's the set list from Boston - and I think it was very similar:
 Set list: In My Blood / Counterfeit Life / Poor Misguided Fool / Alcoholic / Fidelity / Fever / Get Out While You Can / The Way Young Lovers Do / In The Crossfire / Four to the Floor / Four to the Floor (remix) / Tie up My Hands / Keep Us Together / Good Souls // Silence is Easy

He played 2 songs for the encore - one was acoustic - and hearing James sing acoustic is well worth the price!   :D
HeyLa

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 02:58:00 pm »
anyone know anything about the two listed opening acts, Brothermandude & Peter Walker?

also, the front page reads:
 Doors Open 7:30pm
 Peter Walker 8:45
 Starsailor 10:00

no mention of Brothermandude...

danke
<sig>

xcanuck

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 03:02:00 pm »
That's very strange. I looked at the 930 front page a few hours back and it listed all three bands with Starsailor going on at 10:15, I believe. Makes me think that Brotherdude isnt playing anymore.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 03:23:00 pm »
brothermandude was having some visa issues and couldnt play new york either. some woman (whose name i forgot) replaced them at the show.

other things: don't let me down (beatles cover) was played - acoustic, and joseph arthur sang on alcoholic.  

here is the new york set list:
 Setlist:

In My Blood
 Counterfeit Life
 Poor Misguided Fool
 Alcoholic
 Fidelity
 This Time
 Fever
 Get Out While You Can
 In the Crossfire
 Four to the Floor
 Four to the Floor (Remix)
 Tie Up My Hands
 Keep Us Together
 Good Souls
 Encore: Don't Let Me Down
 Silence is Easy
HeyLa

jenn1981

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 03:28:00 pm »
how long would you say Starsailor's set was?  hour, hour and a half?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 03:36:00 pm »
yeah, i also thought that i saw all three listed with set times, at one point... thus my question.

anyone ever heard (or heard of) Peter Walker?  will he be doing the solo guitar+voice thing?  any good?
<sig>

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by jenn1981:
  how long would you say Starsailor's set was?  hour, hour and a half?
their set was roughly an hour and 15 mins (give or take). they should have kept playing as the crowd was so into them, ah well! ill take what i can get.
HeyLa

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 03:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  yeah, i also thought that i saw all three listed with set times, at one point... thus my question.

anyone ever heard (or heard of) Peter Walker?  will he be doing the solo guitar+voice thing?  any good?
he played with a full band last night. not sure what the plan for DC is. He does have a really good voice, and he was pretty talkative and engaged the crowd. he's from LA too (or at least living there). and was asked by starsailor to be part of the tour. hope that helps.
HeyLa

wrcade

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 03:59:00 pm »
Planning to come to the show tonight and haven't been to 9:30 in a while...anything I need to know?

Tom Servo

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 04:32:00 pm »
I caught them last weekend at the Montreal Osheaga festival.  Pretty good.  The guy does have a good voice.  He grew up listening to U2 and it shows.  Close your eyes and you'll swear it's Bono singing.

Taster

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 05:50:00 pm »
How is the new album?  Loved the first, not the second so much.

beedubyah

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 05:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Taster:
  How is the new album?  Loved the first, not the second so much.
I give it a C. I can see most of the songs sounding a lot better live than on the CD.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 07:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by wrcade:
  Planning to come to the show tonight and haven't been to 9:30 in a while...anything I need to know?
$6 yuenglings
(o|o)

lily1

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 08:17:00 pm »
oh i'll admit it, i'm going to the show!

so hope its not the obnoxious drunken crowd it was a couple years ago when the boy had to hold me back from knocking out some drunk bitch that was yelling during the entire show. whenever we moved to get away from her and all the other rude and/or drunk people, she moved with us! she eventually settled in near markie and lulu and proceeded to ruin their evening as well.

that starsailor show is the only show i have ever been to that was absolutely so horrible and it was entirely due to the crowd. unreal how talkative that crowd was.