Author Topic: Dramarama: Bands Reunited Running Diary  (Read 4043 times)

vansmack

Dramarama: Bands Reunited Running Diary
« on: January 28, 2004, 04:09:00 pm »
Since I??m the only one really looking forward to the Dramarama reunion show, thought I would keep a running diary so the rest of you would understand what Dramarama were to the LA music scene in the late 80??s and early 90??s.

Preshow:

Was that marital aids or Marital AIDS?  This should be exciting.  Sex, drugs, rock and roll and Marital Aids ?? who could ask for anything more?

1st up, Guitarist Peter Wood.

Peter Wood, you??re sitting in a tractor digging a ditch in New Jersey with 2 teenagers.  Would you like to get the band back together?  He actually took longer than I thought to answer yes.  It was about 2 seconds when it should have taken .02 seconds.

1st KROQ reference, I??ll set the over under at 5.  Any takers?

Next up, Bassist Chris Carter

Wait - KLSX is still on the air?  That??s almost as shocking as all of the members still being alive.  Does anybody still listen to Classic Rock except at themed parties or NASCAR races?

Ahh, Breakfast with the Beatles.  Fond memories of the Breakfast with mimosa??s growing up.  I was like 11.  With the hippie parents I had, it??s amazing I??m still alive.

Dramarama opened for Pearl Jam?  The shocks keep coming?.

On and anytime the artists describe their album as ??decent,? the breakup was eminent.

3rd up, Singer John Easdale

What??s up in the OC, y??all?  Nice fucking hat without a shirt.  I bet you guys didn??t see that on Fox??s OC?  By the way, that??s exactly how it looked when I liver there.

I??ve decided to amend my list of songs that I will never get sick of hearing to include ??Anything, Anything (I??ll give you).?  Now that I know it??s a true story, EPIC is the only word to describe it.

KROQ reference 2.

First reference to ??the Drama in Dramarama? at the 20 minute mark.  What takes these writers so long to hit the obvious clichés?

4th up, Guitarist Mark Englert

Lot??s of travel on this episode.  LA, OC and now the So Cal desert.  It seems that at least one artist from all broken up American bands ends up in the So Cal desert.  Why is that?

CLASSIC - How did you get into insurance?  ??My friends were just as talented and doing insurance work.  They said it was great and I can go home at the end of the day.?  Smackette had to pick me up off the floor.

Everybody keeps talking about John and Chris breaking up the band.  Is it that hard to replace a bass player in LA?  Oh wait, the lead singer was a drug addict.  That??ll do it.  

Lastly,  Drummer Jesse Farbman

This is great.  He left the band to become a ??World Music Recording Artist? in India.  Hey, at least he left So Cal.  Cue the flaming lips?..

KROQ reference #3.

??Zen to the Dramarama Den? ?? classic.

The Meeting

Wow ?? awkward hugs and uncomfortable conversations.  Now this is reality TV.

Surprisingly more references to Wayne NJ.  How long until the Fountains of Wayne reference?  And what??s in the water of Wayne to produce to epic bands like Dramarama and FOW?

The tension and awkwardness always calls for a Coldplay song.  Tonight it was ??Trouble.?

The rehearsals always make me feel like an accomplished musician in the beginning, then I??m reminded why these guys are so good when after one day of rehearsal they??re back to the good ol days.  

The Show

Ahhh, The Strip?.

??Home LA based audience? ?? I like the sound of that.

Oh, and I??m entering the contest about listening to Dramarama with my friends.  Literally, there has to be 10, maybe 12 of us, right?

How long until Markie starts heckling bands by yelling ??Bands Reunited? at shows?

First Song:  ??Anything Anything (I??ll give you)? at a feverish pace.  The stereo is cranked up.  ??This is going to be my wedding song? I yell.  Smackette has stopped talking to me.  Ooohhh!!! He??s throwing vinyl out.  Man I wish I was there!!!  He??s jumping into the crowd, shaking hands, hugs and kisses all around?..this is AWESOME!!!!

I don??t know any of the people interviewed.  I feel so out of the loop.

Second Song:  ??Last Cigarette?  They sound great for not playing together for that long.  Please keep touring!!!!  Please???????!!!!??!!  Too many interviews during last cigarette, I couldn??t hear the song.

The band is playing Coachella?  No fucking way!!!!!  Nooooooo!!!! Are you fucking kidding me?  Then they crush you with Chris Carter refusing to play.  What a fucking Assssssssshhhoooooollllllleeeeeee!!!!!!!!  Oh, I??m in tears.  I??ve left that notice on my screen for 20 minutes now.  I can??t believe it.  Again, is a bass player that hard to find in LA?  How can they do this to me?  How great would Coachella have been with Dramarama and the Pixies?  Musical sex!!!!  Can??t Rodney Bingenheimer do something about this?  

I wish this show never aired.  I hate this show now.  It??s just too much to take.
27>34

markie

Re: Dramarama: Bands Reunited Running Diary
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 04:25:00 pm »
I discovered why you should hate everything French....... "Dramarama self-released a single and a five-song EP before a French label commissioned a full-length album from the band, which recycled material from both previous releases. The result, 1985's Cinema Verite , featured "Anything Anything," which began scoring airplay after the album was picked up by Chameleon Records in the United States."

ggw

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 04:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 Surprisingly more references to Wayne NJ.  How long until the Fountains of Wayne reference?  And what??s in the water of Wayne to produce to epic bands like Dramarama and FOW?

Adam Schlesinger is actually from Montclair, NJ.  

Dramarama is from Wayne.

The Feelies are from Haledon.

The Wrens are from Secaucus.

Northern New Jersey is a seething hotbed of underappreciated indie-rock bands.

markie

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 04:30:00 pm »
I thought all the best yank bands were from Ohio?

ggw

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 04:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:
GBV
 Afghan Whigs
 Breeders

Who else?

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 04:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw?:

GBV
 Afghan Whigs
 Breeders

Who else?
Brainiac

markie

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 04:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

[/b]
Brainiac [/QB]
Ding ding DING!!!

grotty

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 04:39:00 pm »

Originally posted by mark e smith:
GBV
 Afghan Whigs
 Breeders

Who else? [/b]
Black Keys

ratioci nation

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2004, 04:40:00 pm »
in the case of The Breeders, GBV and Brainiac it is all Dayton, Ohio

and Lou Barlow was born in Dayton

Venerable Bede

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2004, 04:49:00 pm »
don't worry smackie, i'd be there for a dramarama reunion show. . .left coast represent!!!
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2004, 06:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  don't worry smackie, i'd be there for a dramarama reunion show. . .left coast represent!!!
Word.  Maybe we can get the other 4 to play your wedding!  Imagine that, your first dance could be to "anything, anything (I'll give you)" - how romantic would that be?

Okay, what is it tonight?
 Please just tell me what the hell is wrong!
 Do you wanna eat?
 Do you wanna sleep?
 Do you wanna drown?
 Just settle down, settle down, settle down!
 I'll give you candy, give you diamonds, give you pills
 give you anything you want--hundred-dollar bills
 I'll even let you watch the shows you wanna see
 just marry me marry me marry me!
 I'm so sick of you tonight
 You never stay awake when I get home
 Is something wrong with me?
 Is something wrong with you?
 I really wish I knew wish I knew wish I knew!
 I'll give you candy, give you diamonds, give you pills
 I'll give you anything you want--hundred-dollar bills
 I'll even let you watch the shows you wanna see
 Because you marry me marry me marry me!
 Marry me marry me marry me!
 I was young, I learned a game
 And love and happiness were the same
 Now I'm older and I don't play--I found out the hardest way.
 I got wasted she got mad
 Called me names and she called her dad
 He got crazy and I did too
 Wondered what I did to you.
 I gave you candy, gave you diamonds, gave you pills
 Gave you anything you want--
 Hundred-dollar bills!
 I even let you hear the songs I want to sing
 I'll give you anything anything anything
 anything
 anything
 anything
27>34

mankie

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2004, 11:56:00 am »
I saw the Dramarama reunite show last night.

I hate to say but I was a bit disapointed in it. I think it was because they were all pretty much "yeah okay whatever" attitude. I liked the Frankie one because of the bad feeling and resentment within the band, and Kajagoogoo because they were all so behind the idea, apart from Lamahl, but he seemed such a decent bloke that he agreed, like he said, "Lifes too short, yeah of course I'll do it" after a little bit of persuading.

The boys of Dramarama though really didn't seem to have any feelings either way, apart from the bloke in the bulldozer but he just wanted out of the damn bulldozer for a while. None really jumped up and down over the idea or needed lots of persuading.

The other thing that disapointed me was all the interruptions during the performance. I like the split screen showing them performing the same song then and now, but it seemed they kept talking over it. They should give us a couple of songs un-interrupted with the exception of the split screen once in a while.

I'm a big fan of them, but the show was a bit plain vanilla..what did you think smackie and Bede?

ratioci nation

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2004, 12:07:00 pm »
I watched the episode as well, and can honestly say I had never heard any of their songs before.  But I enjoyed it.

ggw

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2004, 12:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 Dramarama opened for Pearl Jam?  The shocks keep coming?.

I'm pretty sure it was the other way around.  Pearl Jam opened for Dramarama.

vansmack

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2004, 02:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  I'm a big fan of them, but the show was a bit plain vanilla..what did you think smackie and Bede?
It was like watching a show of my childhood music scene so I liked it a bit more than most.  You're probably right about the vanillaness, but if they reunited a band from Manchester, you probably would have a more personal enjoyment for it.  And that's why I liked it so much.

I think the producers should have played up Chris being more of a total prick.  He wasn't well liked in the LA scene and it made perfect sense when he didn't want to give up his DJ job to get the band together for a reunion tour. Right, because KLSX is such a great gig.  And yes, I'm still bitter.

And I couldn't agree with you more about the interruptions during the performances - that really pissed me off.  I like the split screen, but don't interview the band or the crowd while you showing off what you spent the first 45 minutes setting us up for.
27>34