Author Topic: Wilco  (Read 18895 times)

BoomBoom

Re: Wilco
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 10:26:00 am »
Yes, something is definitely fishy here. This show wasn't even on the 9:30 Club schedule until this morning. It reminds me of something that happened at Iota once. I can't recall the band, but they advertised a show that was essentially just for biz folks -- other club owners, shyster ticket sellers like tickets.com, p.r. people, record biz people from NYC, etc. Fans who showed up to get in were essentially locked out. People were so mad the Iota mgt. they agreed not to do it again.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 10:31:00 am »
Originally posted by BoomBoom:
  Yes, something is definitely fishy here. This show wasn't even on the 9:30 Club schedule until this morning.
which show are you talking about - wilco or decemberists?  info for both bands has been posted in the "Just Announced" thread, and the Volume newsletter, for some time now.
<sig>

Cougar

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2006, 10:32:00 am »
BoomBoom is suggesting that tickets.com is some sort of shyster ticket site...i dunno what to think about that...why doesn't 930 list the show on their schedule?

crevers

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2006, 10:34:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

Yes, something is definitely fishy here. This show wasn't even on the 9:30 Club schedule until this morning.
which show are you talking about - wilco or decemberists?  info for both bands was posted in the "Just Announced" thread, and the Volume newsletter, for some time now. [/b]
I think the fact that the Wilco show didn't even show up on the front page until several minutes *after* the 10am public onsale began is what BoomBoom's getting at.  In fact, I don't think it even popped up on the front page until after Servo posted that it had sold out.

BoomBoom

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2006, 10:43:00 am »
Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The show was not listed on the tickets.com site under the Wilco or the 9:30 Club threads, either. For all of Wilco's posturing about how it's doing everything for the fans, this sure looks odd. It was easier to get Pogues tickets, and Wilco, while good, is hardly as legendary or in demand.

Can someone clarify the "pre-sale" of Wilco tickets at the club and some sort of special mailing list you had to be on to get notice of that. If that's true, it's typical 9:30 Club elitism. It's sad how much credibility the club has lost since becoming "successful." Bands that helped the 9:30 Club make a name for itself in the old days -- X, etc. -- would never have tolerated such bull.

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2006, 10:47:00 am »
It's not like you have to be "elite" to get on the freaking mailing list. All you have to do is sign up, free of charge. They even let a doofus like me on the list.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The show was not listed on the tickets.com site under the Wilco or the 9:30 Club threads, either. For all of Wilco's posturing about how it's doing everything for the fans, this sure looks odd. It was easier to get Pogues tickets, and Wilco, while good, is hardly as legendary or in demand.

Can someone clarify the "pre-sale" of Wilco tickets at the club and some sort of special mailing list you had to be on to get notice of that. If that's true, it's typical 9:30 Club elitism. It's sad how much credibility the club has lost since becoming "successful." Bands that helped the 9:30 Club make a name for itself in the old days -- X, etc. -- would never have tolerated such bull.

nkotb

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2006, 10:47:00 am »
I didn't get a bagel today, even though a kind office-mate brought them in this morning.  Typical lunchroom elitism.

YAWN.

Tom Servo

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2006, 10:50:00 am »

Presales generally only involve a very small fraction of the available tickets.  

The basic problem is too much demand, I suspect driven by people in other cities scooping up the tickets to scalp them later.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2006, 10:51:00 am »
- the september Volume newsletter described Wilco's date as a "secret subscriber show".  so there is some chance that it was kept secret on purpose.  930 is good that way - rewarding regulars with certain shows.  sorry you missed out.
 - softsales: go to tickets.com, search for "930", and you can see all shows on sale, both soft and hard.  check in regularly or sign up for e-mail list on 930 homepage.
 - tickets.com are hucksters?  i don't think so.  my complaints are that they're generally as expensive as ticketmaster, and they just can't handle peak traffic.  I kept getting the "We're sorry, we were unable to process your request due to high transaction volumes. Please try to submit your request again" message... so it's not that there weren't tickets, it's the the system was maxed out and couldn't sell me any.  lame.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2006, 10:52:00 am »
Blame yourself for not being on top of things.
 There are a lot of Wilco threads on this board during the 2 presales.

(_|_)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2006, 10:52:00 am »
I rarely even pay attention to the main page anymore.  If you want to know what's coming, just go to tickets.com.  You can see all the shows that are on soft-sale, cancellations, what's going on sale Thursday...pretty much everything you need regarding tickets.

Or sign up for the weekly email.  It's one lousy email per week and you hear about everything that's going on, including upcoming sales and the occasional presale password.

Getting tickets for big shows can be difficult.  Getting info on big shows is incredibly easy.

BoomBoom

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2006, 10:53:00 am »
I am on the mailing list. I don't recall seeing any mention of Wilco in any recent club mailings. I admit I may have missed it. That's all I'm asking.

allmy$to930

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2006, 10:55:00 am »
Despite 9:30's so-called "elitism", and my lack of connection with the club, I have always gotten tickets to the shows I want. I repeat, not once have I missed getting tickets.

The 9:30 Club is not trying to screw anyone over.  They simply reward people who regularly read their mailings and website (aka music fans).

If there is any flaw in the system it is tickets.com inability to deal with high traffic.  It is a shame getting tickets isn't first come-first serve and that you have to resort to hitting the refresh button.  However, anyone with a bit of dedication would have gotten tickets to the show.  I got two at 10:02 and two more at 10:12.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2006, 10:57:00 am »
<sig>

Tom Servo

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2006, 10:58:00 am »
Originally posted by allmy$to930:
  Despite 9:30's so-called "elitism", and my lack of connection with the club, I have always gotten tickets to the shows I want. I repeat, not once have I missed getting tickets.

The 9:30 Club is not trying to screw anyone over.  They simply reward people who regularly read their mailings and website (aka music fans).

If there is any flaw in the system it is tickets.com inability to deal with high traffic.  It is a shame getting tickets isn't first come-first serve and that you have to resort to hitting the refresh button.  However, anyone with a bit of dedication would have gotten tickets to the show.  I got two at 10:02 and two more at 10:12.
That's cuz you have 9:30 in your handle.  It gives you special advantages.  I was refreshing from 10:01 until sellout and couldn't even get one.  Thems the breaks though.