Author Topic: Freddy Adu  (Read 3554 times)

G.Love

Freddy Adu
« on: April 01, 2004, 04:08:00 pm »
Anyone going to DC United's first game this saturday?  I think it will be televised on ABC...

Anyone care?

lily1

Re: Freddy Adu
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 04:13:00 pm »
yes, and yes, but i'm more thrilled that marco mullet is gone and think the freddy hype is a bit much.

mankie

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 04:19:00 pm »
How old is he? 14? Way too much hype for a kid. I just hope they play him very sparingly because it could really destroy his potential career starting at such a young age. Look at Michael Owen....he's always injured now, because they pushed him too much as a kid.

I'm glad the overrated Marco Itchybelly has gone. Not exactly a team player either was he?

G.Love

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 04:22:00 pm »
I will be watching it on tv.
 I am glad that Etcheverry is gone also because he was out there dogging it and only putting in the effort when he was within 2 feet of the ball.
 The only thing that pisses me off about the team is that they fired Ray Hudson - I think he did well for the talent that the team had or didn't have.

lily1

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 04:25:00 pm »
yeah, i do think they jumped the gun on hudson. he had a lot of shit to put up with those players. dc united also made some stupid trading moves in the last couple of years that put him in an even worse position.

i do hope moreno can recalim some of his glory, but he might be past his olden days of strong play. not to mention he always is injury riddled.

Bags

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »
I'm going...have half season tickets with a huge group.

Etcheverry was great in the beginning, but lost it as his star ostensibly 'rose' -- hoping this is a comeback season, folks.

lily1

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 04:32:00 pm »
bags, what section you in? i'm in 231.

G.Love

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 04:42:00 pm »
Mankie, how old was M.Owen when he started out in the premier league - 16?

60 minutes indicated that Adu is older than 14, and that his family lied about his age (or mom I should say because the dad split).  Either way I hope he does well so that Washington DC can have at least one decent team!

lily1

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 04:43:00 pm »
yeah, i don't buy that 14 bit...i think either 16 or 17...

Bags

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 04:48:00 pm »
He looked 20, but I don't know why they'd be lying that he's *younger* than he is...

lily, I'll let you know what section we're in -- I don't remember and my tix are at home.

brennser

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 04:49:00 pm »
my neighbors kids played soccer with adu (and his brother) a few years ago (so when adu was 11 or 12) - they insist his real age is probly more like 16

mowglibush

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 04:53:00 pm »
In Europe you have to 18 to play professionally, although Owens did play in the "minor league" system.

Dingleberry did lose it, but his age was way understated too-- he was actually around 35/36 last year.

Freddy is an amazing talent.  One that garners the praise put on him, but he will be a target by every person outside of the MLS.  For the MLS, the players won't want to hurt him as he will help their meal ticket by selling more tickets and thus increasing the yearly adjusted cap dollars for the players.  But believe me, every MLS player thinks Freddy will have to prove himself...

Firing Ray to me was the thing that bothers me most.  He had way to many injuries last year and lost a lot of his best players to the U23 cup, etc. (convey, olson, ruiz, and quantaverra were gone over 5 games each).  Listening to that guy talk- I'd follow him into any battle.

brennser

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 05:09:00 pm »
In Europe you have to 18 to play professionally, although Owens did play in the "minor league" system.  
you're kidding right?

mankie

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 05:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:

you're kidding right? [/b]
Please...tell me more of this "minor league" system.

walkman

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 09:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:

my neighbors kids played soccer with adu (and his brother) a few years ago (so when adu was 11 or 12) - they insist his real age is probly more like 16 [/b]
My friend schooled him in an inter-league game last year...we have it on tape.