Author Topic: Ska is dead tour roll call.  (Read 15428 times)

mankie

Re: Ska is dead tour roll call.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2004, 12:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  i was going to ask how the show was... i'm sure it was better than watching reruns of 24, which seems to be more and more like a soap opera.
To give a more serious music critique on last night, I'd have to say if that's ska, then ska has changed a lot since I was skanking to it back in the day.

It seems to be much more rap/punk with trumpets/trombones/saxes thrown in to make it 'ska' if you know what I mean. A lot of screaming and rapping with the word "fuck" thrown in an awful lot. Between the bands they played the Specials and some other older ska music (police and thieves etc) which proved my point even more. My daughters boyfriend is more into it than she is and even he said the stuff they played between the bands was much better than the bands themselves.....I just smiled to myself.

The one thing that does seem to be the same is the attitude of the fans...dance your head off, have fun, get roudy....no trouble. The style of clothes has changed dramatically though from my two-tone suit, Ben Sherman's and Doc Martins days.

mankie

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2004, 12:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  Why are they gems? Isnt it their jobs to catch crowd surfers, put them down so they can run to the back and do it again? Thats what i thought they got paid for. Before you say they should kick out crowd surfers, thats not a good answer cause crowd surfing is a part of about 50% or more of concerts whether we like it or not.
Getting paid for it is irrelevant to my comment....there are thousands of bartenders and wait staff who get paid for their work and are terrible at it....if a person does a good job, then why can't I compliment them on it?

I have nothing against crowd surfing if all involved are enjoying it.

Bags

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2004, 12:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  Why are they gems? Isnt it their jobs to catch crowd surfers, put them down so they can run to the back and do it again? Thats what i thought they got paid for. Before you say they should kick out crowd surfers, thats not a good answer cause crowd surfing is a part of about 50% or more of concerts whether we like it or not.
Come on, guiny.  

While crowd surfing may be part of 10% of shows or so (I haven't seen crowd surfing in ages, and I go to 50 shows a year...), it does not *have* to be tolerated. And even where it is, security staff are often not so sweet about it.  No, their job is not to 'handle' the crowd surfers; it's to manage the crowd in order to protect the band and the equipment.  That the 9:30 club staff is so good at doing it and about it is quite commendable and unusual.

Bags

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2004, 12:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

i was going to ask how the show was... i'm sure it was better than watching reruns of 24, which seems to be more and more like a soap opera.
The one thing that does seem to be the same is the attitude of the fans...dance your head off, have fun, get roudy....no trouble. The style of clothes has changed dramatically though from my two-tone suit, Ben Sherman's and Doc Martins days. [/b]
So  that's where all the dancing happens!  Nice to know it happens for some shows....

I'm curious, what's the dress code like today?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2004, 12:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  So  that's where all the dancing happens!  Nice to know it happens for some shows....

damn - you beat me to it   :)

mankie

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2004, 12:39:00 pm »

Originally posted by mankie:

The one thing that does seem to be the same is the attitude of the fans...dance your head off, have fun, get roudy....no trouble. The style of clothes has changed dramatically though from my two-tone suit, Ben Sherman's and Doc Martins days. [/b]

I'm curious, what's the dress code like today? [/b]
camouflage (sp?) seems to be in, baggy army pants or shorts, only drainpipe jeans or dress pants way back when with skinny braces (suspenders to doodles)....nasty polyester baseball hats with the mesh round the back, 'maybe' a trilby or pork-pie hat for us....scruffy t-shirts with "tims bowling" or something like that on it, only Ben Sherman button down or Fred Perry was allowed....those nasty black and white cheapo canvas sneakers, highly polished Doc Martins or die! Long'ish scruffy hair, skinhead cuts all the way in my day girl.

thirsty moore

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2004, 12:46:00 pm »
If you go to some of the older ska bands you'll see the skins out in full form with their Guiness patches on their bombers and their Fred Perry and Ben Sherman shirts.

Guiny

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2004, 01:15:00 pm »
 [/qb]
Come on, guiny.  
 While crowd surfing may be part of 10% of shows or so (I haven't seen crowd surfing in ages, and I go to 50 shows a year...), it does not *have* to be tolerated. And even where it is, security staff are often not so sweet about it.  [/QB][/QUOTE]

Ok i just read Mankies post wrong, i thought when he called them gems he was saying that he thought they usually kick out the crowd surfers instead of letting them back in the crowd. I do believe they do a great job there so i wasnt trying to say anything bad about them. As for the you never see crowd surfers at your concerts and you go to 50 a year, well you have to figure there are tens of thousands of concerts in the world a year so your 50 concerts is probably 1% of all concerts a year. So its still quite possible that there is more crowd surfing concerts then 10%. Ok that was way too confusing, i'm not even going back to reread this post.