Author Topic: The Baltimore Orioles  (Read 40064 times)

K8teebug

Re: The Baltimore Orioles
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »
The Orioles make me so depressed, I can hardly talk about it.

I still love them though.

Shadrach

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Anybody looking for a job?

Report: Girardi turns down Orioles
 Ex-Marlins skipper won't become team's next manager, ESPN reports

Joe Girardi today turned down the Orioles' offer to become their new manager, according to an ESPN report.

Orioles officials interviewed the ex-Florida Marlins manager Tuesday and came away impressed enough to ask him to replace the fired Sam Perlozzo.

While former bullpen coach Dave Trembley serves as interim manager, the Orioles now will turn to others on their list, which apparently includes Davey Johnson, who led the club to its last winning season, in 1997, and former San Francisco Giants and Chicago Cubs manager Dusty Baker. The Orioles also were going to interview Rick Dempsey, who had been on the coaching staff before joining the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network as a commentator.
No big surprise he turned down the job, it's a shitty job. It's nearly impossible to compete long term with the Yanks and Sox spending all that money in the same division.

shemptiness

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »
Give Trembley a chance.  Hell, 20 years in the minors has to be worth something.  What have you got to lose?

Shadrach

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2007, 03:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Shemp:
  Give Trembley a chance.  Hell, 20 years in the minors has to be worth something.  What have you got to lose?
Wasn't Trembly the bullpen coach? The same bullpen that can't hold a lead to save their lives?

shemptiness

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2007, 04:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Shadrach:

Originally posted by Shemp:
Wasn't Trembly the bullpen coach? The same bullpen that can't hold a lead to save their lives? [/b]
That's got more to do with the pitching coach than the bullpen coach.

vansmack

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2007, 04:08:00 pm »
  No big surprise he turned down the job, it's a shitty job. It's nearly impossible to compete long term with the Yanks and Sox spending all that money in the same division.
Yep, it's the Yankees and Red Sox fault, even though Baltimore is 11 games below .500 despite being 3-3 combined against the Yankees and Red Sox this season.
27>34

Shadrach

« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2007, 04:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Yep, it's the Yankees and Red Sox fault, even though Baltimore is 11 games below .500 despite being 3-3 combined against the Yankees and Red Sox this season. [/b]
More specifically it's the fault of major league baseball as a whole. The fact that there is no salary cap has made professional baseball nearly unwatchable. That and Peter Angelos is a terrible owner.

shemptiness

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »
It seems it has finally occurred to The Little Napolean that he needs to turn the organization over to a baseball guy and get out of the way.  We'll see if he is able to do it.

Mobius

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »
The O's were willing to spend money before they got gun shy after making bad decisions (i.e. Joey Belle).

And the Twins and A's have shown that you don't need to outspend the league to win consistently.

The O's fall from grace is on the head of Peter Angelos.  From what I know he's a scumbag, and he's an incompetent baseball guy, and the worst kind of owner - the incompetent control freak (see also Snyder, D.)

Its not just that the O's have been bad for a decade, but they play soullessly.  That's why I don't mind seeing Perlazzo go, since his team's were so uninspired.  Its one thing to be mediocre, but at least look alive.

Peter Angelos is the devil - but hopefully the MacPhail era will revitalize Camden Yards.

vansmack

« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2007, 05:37:00 pm »
Really?  Almost the whole day went by and nobody mentioned 30-3?
27>34

ChampionshipVinyl

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »
Last night's loss to the Twins is more aggravating. At some point, getting blown out becomes rather ridiculous, but the errors that cost the Orioles last night's game are more embarrassing.

vansmack

« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2007, 11:48:00 pm »
Getting to watch your Orioles two nights in a row now vs my Halo's, I can tell you that you've got one stinky bad team.  Just terrible.
27>34

K8teebug

« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2007, 08:51:00 am »
angelos is an ass, but he did try to spend money on the bullpen this year.

The Orioles are so depressing.  Every year in March, I try to have a positive outlook on the team, but every year, they let me down.

This is the worst they've been since 1988 when they went 0-21 (or 23, I can't remember since I was 10)  at the beginning of the season.

Plus, Gibby's steroid use in the press isn't helping any either.  Thanks Gibby.

ChampionshipVinyl

« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2007, 09:00:00 am »
I recall thinking in April that at least the Orioles will have a better season than the Nationals, who baseball writers or experts were predicting would have an historically awful season. Maybe they should have looked further up I-95.

« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2007, 09:10:00 am »
It's become completely comical.