Author Topic: Even the artists are getting in on the nightclub shootin  (Read 1455 times)

Even the artists are getting in on the nightclub shootin
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:19:00 am »
Warrants Issued for Billy Joe Shaver

AUSTIN - Police have issued arrest warrants for country singer Billy Joe Shaver after he shot and wounded a man outside a Texas bar, the entertainer's attorney said.

After Shaver left a bar in Lorena on Saturday night, a drunk, aggressive stranger with a knife followed him into the parking lot, said attorney Joseph A. Turner of Austin. Shaver shot him in self-defense, he said.

Police in Lorena _ about 80 miles north of Austin _ issued arrest warrants late Monday on charges of aggravated assault and possessing a firearm in a prohibited place, Turner said.

Shaver attempted to surrender to Austin police Monday night but was not arrested because the police did not have a record of the warrants, said Turner, who accompanied Shaver.

Lorena authorities could not be reached for comment early Tuesday.

"We're working with the police to get this resolved," Turner told The Associated Press. "His priority is dealing with this issue."

The shooting occurred at 8:30 p.m. Saturday outside Papa Joe's Texas Saloon, according to Lorena police. The victim was shot in the cheek but was talking and alert afterward, police said. He was hospitalized.

Advertisement

Turner declined to elaborate or say whether anything occurred inside the bar between Shaver and the victim. He said Shaver did not know the man.

Shaver, who lives in Waco, about 15 miles from Lorena, rose to country music stardom in the 1970s. Shaver, who wrote "Georgia on a Fast Train" and "I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal (But I'm Gonna Be a Diamond Someday)" has recorded more than 20 albums.

A service of the Associated Press(AP)

grotty

Re: Even the artists are getting in on the nightclub shootin
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 09:39:00 am »
Just adding to the outlaw mythos.

My first year @ SXSW - and still one of my best nights there - caught this show @ the Continental Club:

Tim Easton (with band including Jay Bennett)
 Jon Dee Graham
 Shaver
 and then Slobberbone

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
Re: Even the artists are getting in on the nightclub shootin
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 09:43:00 am »
Didn't also the singer from the pop-punk band Mest also just get arrested for murder?  :)   Apparently now it was self-defense!

http://www.punkbands.com/index.php?id=22813

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3