Author Topic: so how did we like the V Fest  (Read 9220 times)

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
so how did we like the V Fest
« on: August 15, 2008, 08:45:00 am »
this is for those that went

comments & criticism from my people is what I seek

El Jefe Design

Re: so how did we like the V Fest
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 09:39:00 am »
As a vendor:
 The booth next to me annoyed me, lost me sales, and pissed off everyone around us by having "music" blasting so loudly I had to yell to my friend to be heard. They had six other vendors complain to them and they did nothing to lower volume. I lost a lot of sales...

Other than that, Jason Williams and Amy were wonderful. They answered all my questions, provided great help, and were on top of everything. My booth/tent was perfect and we had plenty of room. I did not make as much as I would like but who does?

As a music lover:
 I though Sunday was much better than Saturday. Decent mix of bands, old and new, which was cool as I got to see Gogol Bordello and Iggy Pop compete for most spastic on stage (Iggy won). The grounds were well organized, parking for me was easy, and trash and recycling bins were plentiful.

The only complaint was that the porta-john did not get cleaned and restocked later in the day.

Overall, Sir, you did a great job and I hope we can do a Flatstock next year and promote it well.

Jeff of El Jefe Design

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 10:12:00 am »
I'll preface this by saying two things.  1) I've never done the big festival-thing, so I have nothing to compare this to and 2) I only went on Sunday.

I thought the whole thing was very well done.  I didn't really have a single problem all day.  No traffic, no problems parking, no lines for food, drinks or the bathroom.  Reasonable prices.  Very easy to go back and forth between the stages.  Not difficult to get reasonably close to the stages between bands. I thought it sounded great.  No problems leaving either, but we skipped NIN/Kanye, so we beat the crowd.

And this is coming from someone who was dreading this and resigned to being miserable all day.  I wasn't.  It was a great time.

As for criticisms...I thought the schedule was pretty lopsided, but I guess that's a matter of personal taste.  The only band I wanted to see on Friday was Foo.  On Sunday I had to pick and choose, because everyone I wanted to see conflicted with someone else I wanted to see.   I guess I would have liked to have seen the sets staggered a little more, but even that wasn't as bad as I expected.

I felt bad for El Jefe.  Those dorks blasting the music were pretty damn annoying.

Oh - And never, ever book that Hollywood Undead garbage for anything ever again.   Ever.  Really.

Great time.  I'll definitely be back.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 10:24:00 am »
Yeah, those guys next to El Jeffe were super annoying (I think it was WHFS - and they had an amp and guitar for anyone that wanted to play/sing) - and no sign of El Jeffe when I was in his booth - probably due to the noise, heh.

I only went Sunday (last year I went both days) - I thought Saturdays lineup was lacking.  Had a great time Sunday though - my suggestions:

Have more picnic tables - I thought I remember a bunch of tables last year which were not there this year...

Have more art installations

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 10:48:00 am »
I also only went to Sunday. The infrastructure of the event was great, but the lineup was awful compared to the last two years. Saturday was a collection of every pitchfork band I never got into, and apparently everyone else since tickets for saturday were practically being given away on craigslist for it. Sunday had absurd lineup overlaps -- I went primarily for STP and Dylan and had to choose. And the teeny-bop warped tour bands (Taking Back Sunday 2.0, Paramore) were annoying, but then again, they're the only reason my girlfriend came, so, can't please everyone I guess.

I can honestly say I was extremely unpleased with the lineup and with good reason. When I, as an educated concert ticket buyer, know Portishead, Prince and The Verve were doing Coachella; My Bloody Valentine was doing US dates; and Radiohead was doing festival dates within one week of your event, then I cannot in good conscience swallow NIN, Kanye, Jack Johnson, Lil Wayne, and The Offspring amongst your events headliners. I idiotically held off on a Coachella or Lolla trip thinking your event would be close to comparable as far as headliner quality, and I cannot say had I known all the festivals lineups on advance that I would have even considered attending VFest. Next year, I can't say I'll give VFest the benefit of the doubt.

I guess in the end, as well run as Vfest is put together, if you get subpar talent and can't decide whether you're throwing a rock event, an indie event, or a rap event (this whole "cross genre" thing ticks off way more people then it appeals to), Vfest will remain a US festival footnote.

xcanuck

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 10:52:00 am »
You've done another fantastic job, Seth. We had VIP tickets and the addition of complimentary food was very much appreciated. The price was right for food and booze vendors. Great sight lines from south stage VIP area.

As far as the music goes, an enjoyable, cross-genre lineup. Perhaps a wee bit more on the current indie scene would be nice, but that's just me. Sound and video were awesome.

Criticisms: Sight lines from north stage VIP area are now non-existent. Water spigots were...well, where the heck were they? We couldn't find any and between all of our other friends, they said they found two. Don't bother with VIP swag bags if there's nothing of substance in them. Just put the freebies out on a table in the grandstand area.

And please!! Never punish one band for the transgressions of another. L'il Wayne should have had his set cut short instead of the Black Keys paying the price (unless there's some mitigating back story that you'd like to share).

Thanks again, Seth. You and your staff did a great job.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 10:54:00 am »
Stop dating teeny boppers. Dump your girlfriend and find someone with good taste.

And I wouldn't think there would be that much of a fan overlap between STP and Dylan.

And I bet NIN and Kanye sell more tickets to a festival than My Bloody Valentine would.

Originally posted by Julian, certified WEBLEBRITY:
  I also only went to Sunday. The infrastructure of the event was great, but the lineup was awful compared to the last two years. Saturday was a collection of every pitchfork band I never got into, and apparently everyone else since tickets for saturday were practically being given away on craigslist for it. Sunday had absurd lineup overlaps -- I went primarily for STP and Dylan and had to choose. And the teeny-bop warped tour bands (Taking Back Sunday 2.0, Paramore) were annoying, but then again, they're the only reason my girlfriend came, so, can't please everyone I guess.

I can honestly say I was extremely unpleased with the lineup and with good reason. When I know Portishead, Prince and The Verve were doing Coachella; My Bloody Valentine was doing US dates; and Radiohead was doing festival dates within one week of your event, then I cannot in good conscience swallow NIN, Kanye, Lil Wayne, and The Offspring amongst your events headliners. If Lollapalooza, Coachella, or APW were anywhere near me, I wouldn't have even considered attending VFest, as well run as it was put together.

I guess in the end, as well run as Vfest is put together, if you get subpar talent and can't decide whether you're throwing a rock event, an indie event, or a rap event, Vfest will remain a US festival footnote.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 10:58:00 am »
Hey Charles, glad you found a way to comment in the thread despite not attending the event. Someone make sure I get a 930.com assist on the score sheet.

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Stop dating teeny boppers. Dump your girlfriend and find someone with good taste.

Stop being a bitter old curmudgeon and drink your Metamucil.

ebeniezer

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 11:24:00 am »
Sudnay was waaaayyyyy better than saturday. Coldplay plays TWICE in DC and yet we can get them for vfest? wtf?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »
I didn't go to the event because the line-up was below par from the previous 2 years. And I wasn't a huge fan of the schedule so that completely turned me off. If i had had the weekend off I'm sure I would have gone because there were at least a few bands for me that would have made if worth it but this is far from better than the first 2 years. Maybe waiting til after every other summer festival was announced isn't the best plan .

:x
‼‼?‼‼

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 12:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by ebeniezer:
  Sudnay was waaaayyyyy better than saturday. Coldplay plays TWICE in DC and yet we can get them for vfest? wtf?
Because Coldplay was in Tokyo. The week before they played Pemberton in BC.

08/09 - Osaka, Japan @ Summer Sonic
 08/10 - Tokyo, Japan @ Summer Sonic
HeyLa

NilThree

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »
I could only go on Sunday, but that was due to personal schedule problems and not the lineup - I was actually quite disappointed that I didn't get to see Wilco and Bloc Party, among others. Sunday had better headliners, but Saturday had  more interesting selection of bands during the day that I'd have wanted to see.

I thought it was a lot of fun, and I'll try to make it back both days next year. STP overlap with Dylan sucked, but I didn't have a problem with the rest of the schedule. I still don't think this year's lineup was as strong as last year's but I feel like I got my money's worth. Nine Inch Nails were fantastic.

I was VERY impressed by how clear the sound was, on both stages, all night long. The good food was a nice surprise, as was a functional Scott Weiland.

Jesse

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »
One thing i noticed this year that was different from previous years is that instead of having a mainstage and a sidestage, there was 2 mainstages.

i REALLY liked this set-up. It seems like that setup split up the crowd well and made it very easy for me and my friends to get great spots to see who we wanted to see.

Staralfur25

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »
No problems with parking..traffic...food..lines..or anything for that matter. toilet paper but i expected that.
 with the line up. I actually discovered new bands that I never would have listened to.
  I mean saturday I mostly went see rodrigo y gabriela and discovered sharon jones, the silver beats, and a bunch of cool dj's in the dance tent. Andrew bird, iggy, and she and him.
  Hoegaarden on tap. sweeet.
 Both days I had a blast.  :)

Cash is King

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »
Lineup sucked this year compared to the previous 2 years, so i only went to Sunday. I must say, compared to that first year, you guys have mastered the art of transportation.  Getting in and out of the event is flawlessssssss.  I think of any festival i have ever been to, you guys are the easiest to get in and out of.