Author Topic: iPod shuffle  (Read 1623 times)

SalParadise

iPod shuffle
« on: April 03, 2007, 12:42:00 pm »
a random question, yes, but i was wondering this..

when you hit "shuffle songs", does the iPod take your 12,000 songs or whatever and put them in a certain order in one fell swoop? or is the hard drive kinda like "uh oh, 5 seconds left.. what do i throw on next..uhh.."

lbcardoni

Re: iPod shuffle
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »
I think the order has something to do with the number of times you have played a certain track or artist, and it is not completely "random"

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »
I think it does it in one fell swoop, at least if it does it like on iTunes. In iTunes, if you play the music library on shuffle the highlight bar jumps to whatever song is playing. But if you play a playlist on shuffle you might notice that the playlist order has been shuffled. Turn shuffle on and off and see what happens.

SalParadise

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »
i bring this up because the last time i was at the airport, i was sitting at the gate waiting to board... so i'm kinda looking out at the main terminal alleyway zoning out and there's one of those moving walkways about 20ft in front of me. and there's a girl walking on the moving walkway, but against it... so she's walking yet stationary.. all right in immediate view.

and royksopp's "remind me" comes up on shuffle.

i truly believe my iPod sensed this and called an audible in the song rotation.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by SalParadise:
  i bring this up because the last time i was at the airport, i was sitting at the gate waiting to board... so i'm kinda looking out at the main terminal alleyway zoning out and there's one of those moving walkways about 20ft in front of me. and there's a girl walking on the moving walkway, but against it... so she's walking yet stationary.. all right in immediate view.

What's the song connection? I'm not familiar with it.

As a kid, my brothers and I would run on the moving sidewalk in the right direction. It was fun stumbling off the end   :D

SalParadise

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 01:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by beetsnotbeats:

As a kid, my brothers and I would run on the moving sidewalk in the right direction. It was fun stumbling off the end    :D  [/b]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=H02iwWCrXew

Sir HC

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »
I don't think it creates the list at one time.  Why waste the memory with that in there, especially if the songs would most likely change before you go through 12,000 of them.  I would guess just a sloppy random number generator.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »
** shakes head **
(o|o)

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H02iwWCrXew [/b]
Without even clicking on that I remembered. Of course... so easy to remember a.... Now if you'll excuse me I've got wives to drag.