Author Topic: Elvis Costello  (Read 9762 times)

saintangelsin

Elvis Costello
« on: April 04, 2007, 01:29:00 am »
I know he's coming to the 9:30 club next month with the Imposters. I just saw how much tickets are going to be (75 bucks) and I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it or not. I've always wanted to see him live, but my concern is, does he play his older stuff too? Don't get me wrong, his recent stuff is good, but I don't want to pay a lot of money for a concert that is mostly material from his work with Burt Bacharach and Allen Toussaint.

I've been a fan of his since I was in the 5th grade. (i'm now 21 btw) I mean hell, even my glasses are simular to his. He's a songwriting hero to me. I really want to go because I've never seen him live before and it's not everyday he's playing one of my favorite music venues.

SPARX

Re: Elvis Costello
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 01:54:00 am »
Originally posted by saintangelsin:
  I know he's coming to the 9:30 club next month with the Imposters.  and I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it or not.
 I've been a fan of his since I was in the 5th grade. (i'm now 21 btw) I mean hell, even my glasses are simular to his. He's a songwriting hero to me. I really want to go because I've never seen him live before and it's not everyday he's playing one of my favorite music venues.
I think you answered your own question.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:09:00 am »
I've seen Elvis many times and (from my experience) when he's not directly promoting a new album you have a better chance of hearing old stuff.  This is just a brief, two/three week tour that I think he's doing to partially promote the new reissues.

So, I think he will do a few more "older" songs than he usually does.  He'll still probably do several from "The Delivery Man" and "The River in Reverse."  He'll do a couple well-chosen covers.  And he'll do the old war horses: "Alison", "Pump It Up", "Watching the Detectives", probably "Radio Radio" and/or "Clubland."  After that, who knows?

Brian

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 09:14:00 am »
What's keeping you from seeing him prior to this show if you've been a fan since 5th grade?! Just wondering...

(_|_)

edbert

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 09:19:00 am »
Or just get his live DVD and save the other $60

saintangelsin

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 06:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by Joe Marshmallow III:
  What's keeping you from seeing him prior to this show if you've been a fan since 5th grade?! Just wondering...

[/b]
Well, growing up, I didn't know that he still toured. When I was 10, I just listened to whatever music my older friends would throw my way. My dad told me about Elvis Costello actually. I think what also kept me from seeing him was money and distance. I grew up in Western Maryland. 3 hour drive is a lot. And lots of times when I was younger, I didn't know much as to who was touring and such.

saintangelsin

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 06:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brian_Walalce:
  I've seen Elvis many times and (from my experience) when he's not directly promoting a new album you have a better chance of hearing old stuff.  This is just a brief, two/three week tour that I think he's doing to partially promote the new reissues.

So, I think he will do a few more "older" songs than he usually does.  He'll still probably do several from "The Delivery Man" and "The River in Reverse."  He'll do a couple well-chosen covers.  And he'll do the old war horses: "Alison", "Pump It Up", "Watching the Detectives", probably "Radio Radio" and/or "Clubland."  After that, who knows?

Brian
That's pretty great actually! sounds well worth it honestly. Thank you for the pointer.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 10:58:00 am »
In case nobody noticed, these went on sale today.  dcist already announced it, so you should probably jump on it, if you're interested.

Visa was the only accepted method of payment, but it doesn't look like it needs to be a Visa Signature card.

amnesiac

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 12:16:00 pm »
How fast do you all think this will sell out?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »
why wait?  if you're going, just buy it...

seems to be that tickets.com is very busy today, i'm getting virtual waiting rooms everywhere - the elvis costello page, on the main 930 tickets page, etc.  either servers are down, or some show is very over-subscribed at the moment.  i can't even get in to the elvis page, been waiting for several minutes now.
<sig>

amnesiac

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »
Well, I'm going to the Albert Hammond, Jr. show tonight, and was hoping I could just buy at the box office...

godsshoeshine

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 12:36:00 pm »
$75 for tickets? he plays almost every year at wolf trap for like $25
o/\o

amnesiac

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »
I checked to see if tix were still available and got the following message:

"We're sorry. Our site is down for scheduled maintenance. Thank you for your patience."

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »
Looks like the tickets.com purchase system has crashed.  All that coems up is the white "down for maint" screen.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »
Back on line now.
FUKIT