Author Topic: Roll Call:Wilco  (Read 25021 times)

Guiny

Re: Roll Call:Wilco
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2004, 10:53:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  That's hilarious.  Who said that?

Originally posted by mark e smith:
 "If you like this shit, you might as well llisten to Sheryl Crow."
[/b]
A moron.

grotty

« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2004, 10:57:00 am »
  Does anyone really say edgy anymore?  
It must still be acceptable - I've seen it used in Bigyawn reviews:

" Koshari's music stirs from the center of progressive rock with its tightly locked rhythms and searing dissonance. The music, vocals and lyrics compliment each other to create an edgy smooth tension that is tinged with fear, anger and hope."

and

"Last Second Comeback's music demands to be heard: An original mix of frenetic acoustic guitar, searing electric guitar leads, and driving hand percussion. The band's 2003 debut album Cornered features edgy, revealing songwriting by Jeff Campagna.  LSC recorded the CD with producer Philip Stevenson and then mastered it with Bob Olhsson in Nashville."

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2004, 11:35:00 am »
actually i thought it was a pretty good preview/overview of the records.  it got me interested in the young heart attack cd and the burning brides comments are spot on.  give him credit for not spending lots of time saying the new wilco bored him and getting down to the point of telling us which new records are doing it for him instead.
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2004, 12:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:

[/b]
A moron. [/b]
No, I am pretty sure it was not you who said it.

Why do you think that comment is moronic? Do you listen to a lot of Sheryl Crow?

markie

« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2004, 12:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  actually i thought it was a pretty good preview/overview of the records.  
You are probably right. The cardigans review was rather odd though and it was fun to use it against you.

ratioci nation

« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2004, 12:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
 pollard, man, chill out. i wasn't directing any vitriol towards you...i reserve that more for people like rhett who condescendingly sneer at some bands without obviously even trying to understand what they're aiming for. i don't get that from you, so don't be so defensive. although, it's hard not to be around here sometimes. i love music and am pretty opinionated about it, as i would hope people on a music board would be.

anyway, i understand what you mean. take pavement. i love everything up to and including  wowwe zowee, but  brighten the corners and  terror twilight bore the piss out of me. i love all GBV up to  mag earwhig  but i think their records since then have been weak and second-rate. i still like tortoise but i doubt they'll ever come close to their first two albums. on the other hand, i still think that wilco, sonic youth, yo la tengo, nick cave, and blonde redhead (for a few examples) are constantly progressing and evolving. some people would argue with each and every one of those examples.

would it make you feel better if i said i wish i could take a time machine back to 1994 after  crooked rain came out?
oh I am fine, I just assumed your comment was like joz's comment saying that fans have to like the band the way he likes them

as far as GBV goes, I know most people feel that way, I still think there are some great songs after mag earwhig and even on mag earwhig, and even better ones on the hold on hope ep which is b sides to Do the Collapse, but I understand the opinion, there was a clear change

for Pavement, I actually just listened to Terror Twilight and Brighten the Corners the other day and enjoyed them, and was even saying that musically, BTC is better than Slanted and Enhcanted, but I know that isn't the accepted opinion.  

I will agree with you on Sonic Youth and Nick Cave still make good albums, although I am not sure how much they are progressing.  I love Nick Cave but thought Nocturama was a bit of a letdown, we'll see how the new album is.  Sonic Nurse is great, but not a huge change I dont think.  I only have one Blonde Redhead album, the new one.  And I still have yet to hear the new Yo La Tengo.

ratioci nation

« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2004, 12:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:

[/b]
A moron. [/b]
thanks Guiny

Guiny

« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2004, 01:23:00 pm »
I'm here for ya.

snailhook

« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »
pollard, i do agree with most of what joz has said in this thread, but not in the way he presented it. if you are a long-time fan of the band, you have every right to see them and criticize them. i was in no way implying that you weren't a "true" fan.

to answer your replies to which bands i said were "progressing", we could actually debate this all day. sometimes there is a fine line between "just making good records" and "progressing/evolving". the new sonic youth record is great, but it is more of a logical extension to  murray street than it is a progression from it. these statements are far from black and white and are perhaps more useful to spark discussion than accepting them as matter-of-fact.

grotty:

While it may not be universally true, I'm betting that most of the 'true fans' - that are totally happy only hearing the 2 latest records - discovered Wilco relatively late. Probably even went back and bought some Uncle Tupelo as historical research.

Otherwise, I can't comprehend how you could not want to hear some of the songs that made you love this band/artist in the 1st place.

[Assuming that you've actually moved out of Mom & Dad's house], I pity the parents of those exclaiming "Wilco is NOW! 2004 YEAH! Onward & Upward". I guess you don't often take the 'time machine' back for visit.

...prepping for the 'when I was your age' responses...

I just noticed this evidence to support my theorem:

"it's too bad those of you stuck in 1999 can't take a time machine back to the summerteeth tour."

ALL THE WAY BACK to Summerteeth.  Which is incidentally about 3/4's of the way through Tweedy's creative output.
what are you getting at? does the fact that i bought  a.m. in 1995 and first saw wilco on the  being there tour in 1997 disprove your notion that people that don't NEED to hear songs off their first three albums "discovered wilco relatively late?" i also have not lived with mommy and daddy since i went to college when i was 18 (this is a piss-poor insult, by the way). last i checked, wilco fans aren't in the same demographic as blink-182 fans.

i also used the  summerteeth tour as a reference because it was, arguably, the last time wilco was pretty accessible. there is a considerable jump in their sound from  sumemrteeth to  yankee hotel foxtrot. i love everything they've ever done, and i love how each record differs from the others. to be honest, in retrospect,  a.m. has plenty of good songs, but as an album, it's not such a memorable  experience, at least for me.

lastly, i love hearing the old songs, too, but i was perfectly happy with the amount they played the other night. i've seen some bands that  completely ignore their back catalog; wilco played at least five songs from their first three albums from what i remember.

perhaps i am in the minority, because i can appreciate melodious alt-country just as much as abstract, discordant noise.

Dandy01

« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2004, 04:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:

Does anyone really say edgy anymore?  
It must still be acceptable - I've seen it used in Bigyawn reviews:

" Koshari's music stirs from the center of progressive rock with its tightly locked rhythms and searing dissonance. The music, vocals and lyrics compliment each other to create an edgy smooth tension that is tinged with fear, anger and hope."

[/b]
Koshari - they were my neighbors up until I moved last week.

joz

« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2004, 05:11:00 pm »
thanks for your candor, snail and pollard.  i've enjoyed reading your recent posts and wanted to set a couple of things straight...#1 - i'm a 'she'.  secondly, my only post that was directed at pollard was in reference to his insinuation that wilco's new sound is merely a cheap rip-off of sonic youth.  i can honestly say that the majority of my comments were clearly directed at Rhett, who apparently left the show too early to hear wilco pull out some gems from the older catalog. ridiculous.

i've been a wilco fan for a long time and, like snail, i enjoy the entire catalog and have fond memories and associations for each album as to the time in my life i was listening.  to each his own though ... i can understand that some people are really turned off by the dissonance and raw noise of the last couple of albums.  maybe it'll grow on them though as the songs are really beautiful, both lyrically and melodically, once you get past the reverb.  there are a handful of bands i wish had stopped recording long ago so i can appreciate that point of view also.  

there's certainly a lot of negativity and "vitriol" (great underused word by the way) on this forum and i truly didn't mean to piss on anyone's parade.  hope you all have a nice weekend...

ratioci nation

« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »
  lastly, i love hearing the old songs, too, but i was perfectly happy with the amount they played the other night. i've seen some bands that  completely ignore their back catalog; wilco played at least five songs from their first three albums from what i remember.

perhaps i am in the minority, because i can appreciate melodious alt-country just as much as abstract, discordant noise.
Well there was nothing off of Being There, which for me is almost a waste.  Not a total waste, but I really love that album.  I would have been happy with just Misunderstood or Sunken Treasure.

And not to the same degree as you but I can also appreciate melodious alt-country and abstract, discordant noise.  My point before (maybe in another thread) was that I just don't think Wilco should try both, but that is just my opinion.

Because of all this discussion, I listened to No Depression earlier today, and that Jeff Tweedy sounds nothing at all like the Jeff Tweedy of today.  Not a judgement, just an observation.

joz

« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2004, 05:20:00 pm »
don't forget about 'the lonely 1'...that was a pretty amazing live version of one of my fave BT tracks.

grotty

« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2004, 05:21:00 pm »
  what are you getting at? does the fact that i bought  a.m. in 1995 and first saw wilco on the  being there tour in 1997 disprove your notion that people that don't NEED to hear songs off their first three albums "discovered wilco relatively late?" i also have not lived with mommy and daddy since i went to college when i was 18 (this is a piss-poor insult, by the way).

I was getting to a major point that whatever the first Wilco/Tweedy record that first resonated with you, will probably be the songs you wish to hear.

And none of that was meant to be very insulting. You used "Mommy & Daddy" - not me. That was a clarifier, because obviously if you still lived with your parents (and I have NO idea really who on here does) then my example would not be relevant. I can see how you may have taken it as an insult though since your tone initially was pretty combative. See:
 "it's too bad those of you stuck in 1999 can't take a time machine back to the summerteeth tour."

What you're not getting is that no one on this thread (other than Rhett - who is generally pretty contrary - and even that grows on you) said that the new stuff is not good. I really like the last 2 records. I think they contain many of Wilco's finest songs. Yet it's still only a small portion. It's really been more a question of balance.

I'll stick by my theory though until I see some proof of an A.M. purchase in 1995. There's no way you remember when you bought that unless you looked up that record's release date!  So, to paraphrase..."snailhook, man, chill out"    :D  

Have a great music filled weekend. Seriously.

I'll be seeing Gillian Welch for free on Sunday evening. Looking forward to another night of country-tinged tunes. Although I doubt there'll be much feedback this time around.

ratioci nation

« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2004, 05:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by joz:
    secondly, my only post that was directed at pollard was in reference to his insinuation that wilco's new sound is merely a cheap rip-off of sonic youth.
my only point in comparing to Sonic Youth was that when they played their new noisy songs, after what I thought was a pretty good Sonic Youth set, it came off pretty limp to me, the noise making smacked of "I want to do what they did", Tweedy then throwing a tantrum did not help my opinion of the whole thing