Author Topic: Pere Ubu  (Read 2888 times)

mattedling

Pere Ubu
« on: April 04, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »
I'm so excited about Pere Ubu show, but I've never been to a show at Sonar.  I'm coming from DC and don't have car, so I'm taking a zipcar.  I was wondering if anybody has any idea on when shows at the Sonar usually end, or how long Ubu shows usually go.  Any help would be appreciated.  thanks

TheREALHunter

Re: Pere Ubu
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 08:15:00 am »
From ubuprojex.net (their official website):
 Baltimore, Sonar
 407 E. Saratoga St, Baltimore MD 21202
 Tel: 410-327-8333
 Ages: All
 Pere Ubu: 11:15p
 Tickets: adv $15, day of show $15

According to their rider which is on the website, they play a 60 minute set plus encores.

lbcardoni

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 09:43:00 am »
Didn't Pere Ubu play at the Talking Head a few years ago?

thirsty moore

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 09:45:00 am »
I didn't even know Pere Ubu played anymore.  I saw David Thomas years ago solo.  That was an excellent gig.  The guy was drinking from his flask on stage and discussing post modern theories between songs.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 10:08:00 am »
Originally posted by TheREALHunter:
  Pere Ubu: 11:15p

According to their rider which is on the website, they play a 60 minute set plus encores.
ack, i was in earlier this week, but with this info i think i'm out again.  leaving baltimore after 12:30 am on a school night when i have a lot on my plate monday morning... bad idea.
<sig>

TheREALHunter

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:51:00 am »
I'm not relishing the thought of driving back to DC late but it is only 1 of 6 US dates so...

snailhook

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 10:55:00 am »
i saw pere ubu in 2000 and it was a pretty damn good show, though not quite as good as the rocket from the tombs show in 2003. i am planning on going to baltimore for this.

lbcardoni

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 11:24:00 am »
I stand corrected:

Morphius holds its 10th anniversary celebration at the Talking Head on Friday, Aug. 1, with David Thomas, the Uniform, Paper Jets, and the Animatronics. A second show goes down at the Ottobar on Friday, Aug. 2, with David Thomas and the Lost Planets, the Oranges Band, and the Slow Jets.

BookerT

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 12:09:00 pm »
if this was in d.c. i'd obvs be there, although one of the draws is that both openers are really, really good b'more bands. i'll see how i'm feeling sunday night i guess. although to be honest i'd put my chances of going around the chances of the wizards winning their first round series.

BookerT

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »
did anyone go to this? i don't regret missing it cuz i was pretty wiped out on sunday night, but i'm listening to "dub housing" right now and it made me wonder if anyone had any reports.

snailhook

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 07:18:00 pm »
i'm curious, too. i was gonna see the show but got caught up in philly and drove by baltimore in the middle of their set.

mattedling

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 08:45:00 pm »
I enjoyed it, but it wasn't the smoothest of shows.  One guy in the band was playing a theremin or sytheizer through a trumpet, and there was this one guy in the audience who after the 2nd or 3rd song shouted out something like, "Turn of the Syntheizer and play your horn true."  Dave just kinda lost it after that.  Screaming at the audience between songs calling us a bunch of babies, and let us know that he was doing this show "strictly for the money".  Dave started a couple of songs and then quit about thirty seconds including Modern Dance, which really pissed the audience off.  He also seemed to be getting fed up with the bass player and drummer and would go over there and make big sweeping motions with his hands when he thought they should play, and stopped one song when they weren't doing what he wanted.  

Even with all that I thought it was a great show, the played Final Solution, Street Waves (I think) and a couple tracks of off Dub Housing (I'm blanking right now),  they mostly played newer stuff that I wasn't totally familiar with, I've only got a couple of their '90's 00's albums.  

Despite Dave's theatrics I had a great time. They played a full set, and was doing his whole hard artist routine, singing a verse then sitting down and taking a sip of whiskey or beer, or lighting up a cigarette and standing back up and singing the next verse. And it's not like his theatrics aren't totally expected, over the years Dave has turned into a petulant artist.  I've been to other shows he's played where people would request 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, and they'd play the first 30 seconds of the song and quit.

thirsty moore

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 12:17:00 am »
Screw that!  I don't have time for antics.

Originally posted by med:
 And it's not like his theatrics aren't totally expected, over the years Dave has turned into a petulant artist.  I've been to other shows he's played where people would request 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, and they'd play the first 30 seconds of the song and quit.

BookerT

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »
man, imagine if someone put together a the fall/pere ubu tour. that'd be the brattiest show ever. AND I WOULD LOVE EVERY SECOND OF IT.

bearman🐻

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »
Reminds me of the time I saw big Dave have a nervous breakdown backstage at the Metro in Chicago in 1993. Talk about awkward. Nothing quite like seeing a huge blubbering, crying 325-lb guy talking about how he was losing his shit. Needless to say, I bailed pretty quick.