Author Topic: PDA's  (Read 3140 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: PDA's
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 08:10:00 pm »
call me a Luddite, but I don't know of any really good PDAs that have come out since the Palm V.  It was simple, lightweight, and reliable.   I don't like to push a bunch of buttons or go through a whole assload of menus just to add something to a to-do list.  Nor do I want to do with a microscopic Qwerty keyboard.

I wish someone would make a phone like this...
_\|/_

ggw

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 08:30:00 pm »
Luddite

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 08:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
    I don't like to push a bunch of buttons or go through a whole assload of menus just to add something to a to-do list.  
Get a digital voice recorder, if all you're needing is a fancy to-do lister.  They're tapeless nowadays.

alex

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 09:44:00 pm »
I love and hate my Blackberry.

I love that work pays for it, and part of that is unlimited data which includes text messages.  I love that it automatically syncs with my Outlook calendar and address book wirelessly.  I love that it has a few games I can play on the Metro.

I hate that work can e-mail and call me 24/7.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 11:06:00 pm »
That is why when I was offered a Blackberry I refused... don't need that leash.  If they insist, I'll take it, but no reason to otherwise.
_\|/_

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 11:24:00 pm »
  call me a Luddite, but I don't know of any really good PDAs that have come out since the Palm V.  It was simple, lightweight, and reliable.   I don't like to push a bunch of buttons or go through a whole assload of menus just to add something to a to-do list.  Nor do I want to do with a microscopic Qwerty keyboard.

Palm OS is basically the same as it was on the Palm V, in terms of the number of buttons to push to perform a simple task and the interface in general.  Now they're just shinier, brighter, smaller, and faster.  And in some cases, they make phone calls.

alex

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 12:04:00 am »
  That is why when I was offered a Blackberry I refused... don't need that leash.  If they insist, I'll take it, but no reason to otherwise.
yeah, i had no choice

bikerchickdc

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 10:32:00 am »
I've got a Palm Treo 650 now and it makes me miss my Blackberry!  Yes, it is better for web browsing and it's less awkward to use as a phone than the 'berry was, but it doesn't work very well overall.  I have to reboot it 2 or 3 times a week and it decides to reboot itself another 2 or 3 times.  It'll randomly stop recieving mail and I'll have to go through a series of reboots and phone off/phone on to get it functioning again.

This seems to be a pretty common complaint with the 650 and 700 model Palms. I know everyone on my team at work hates how unreliable they are and I see lots of similar complaints on various Palm user forums.  

And I did know when I took this job that I was on a 24/7 oncall and I was cool with it, so I kinda expect this thing to work.

If you need email or phone or any other instant access, and you need it to be reliable, go with a Blackberry.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 10:49:00 am »
Yeah I've heard many people having problems with the 650's, and while I have the occasional reset, it's been pretty solid.  I think the reason these things tend to be less stable than some other devices is the wealth of 3rd party apps available for them.  And not everyone writing these things is necessarily qualified to do so.  So once you get some various apps all running together bad things can happen.  That said, I use AvantGo, Vindigo, a customer billing app, an app that creates and exports time reports from the billing  app, a fairly large database app for client harware/user/etc inventory purposes and it all runs well.

But I do seem to be in the minority in terms of how stable it's been.  You might want to look on the Palm site and see if there's a newer firmware version available for your carrier's model.  Several have been released for Sprint, each one better than the last.

I'll miss my Treo....but maybe my new company will give me one of those nice shiny Blackberry Pearls....though I doubt it.  Pretty sure it will be one of the 7100 series units.  Anyone here use those?  Thoughts on the predictive text entry they use?

vansmack

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2006, 12:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Señor Carlos:
  I'll miss my Treo....but maybe my new company will give me one of those nice shiny Blackberry Pearls....though I doubt it.  Pretty sure it will be one of the 7100 series units.  Anyone here use those?  Thoughts on the predictive text entry they use?
Sorry, I had the 7250, and actually refused the "upgrade" to the new 7100.  I don't see the point of having a device primarily to handle email and then not having a full QWERTY keyboard.  You might as well just send text messages back and forth.  It's not like it's any less wide....
27>34

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 07:52:00 pm »
I have a damn near brand new Palm Tungsten E that I dont use.  Look up the specs on Palms site and if it fits your needs let me know.  I'll give it to you at a good price.
FUKIT

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2006, 10:27:00 am »
I've owned two in the past, the first was an impulse buy at Radio Shack because it was on clearance for some crazy low price. It was the HP Journada or something like that, it worked great, did everything I needed and was as tough as old boots. The only negative was the size, it was a bit big for a PDA so that's why got into the habit of putting it in my desk drawer when I got to work...when I realized I was getting great benefit from a PDA I decided to splash out on something a bit more up to date so ended up buying a Sony Clie...that was the biggest piece of shyte I've ever owned, and it actually broke twice in three months. After having an argument with someone in India they fixed it the first time, but when it came back was banjaxed again within the month....they wouldn't fix it the second time so it's probably still in the grass alongside the Dulles Toll Road at this point if anyone is interested.....I do not, and never will own a Sony product ever again in my lifetime, and tell everyone I know, and even perfect strangers about my experience if I'm in an electrical store and see them happen to be looking at a Sony product.