Author Topic: Stellastarr* roll call...  (Read 6603 times)

amnesiac

Re: Stellastarr* roll call...
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 10:41:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:

Originally posted by amnesiac:
   Still haven't decided if I'm going to this or Gang of Four at Sonar. But if Arctic Monkeys are added to the bill, I'll definitely be at 9:30.
I completely pulled that out of my ass, by the way. It could just as easily be Inara George or Army of Me. [/b]
Yeah, I figured. Just wishful thinking...

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 11:12:00 am »
Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:
  Stellastarr has two albums out,actually.

As of 2 hours ago. Most of us cannot give qualified analysis of a band's growth (or lack thereof) on a record we haven't heard yet. I'm sure you could, but still...

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 11:23:00 am »
Sorry, I was going on what allmusic said, which was an August 23 release date. I was put off sufficiently by their first album that I need not follow their growth. Finite supply of time and money dictates making a better choice than that, for me.

Originally posted by Wayne, BadSushi Fellatio AFICIONADO:

As of 2 hours ago. Most of us cannot give qualified analysis of a band's growth (or lack thereof) on a record we haven't heard yet. I'm sure you could, but still... [/b]

Relaxer

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 11:26:00 am »

When I heard them, I though they sounded like an inferior version of Rusted Root, who in turn sound like an inferior version of the Talking Heads.
Rusted Root? The hippy-ish jam band? Are you serious? I realize that everyone is entitled to their own asinine opinion, but that's mind-boggling. Truly truly I say to you now. You need more bran in your life.
oword

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2005, 11:35:00 am »
I've only heard stuff off of the first two Rusted Root albums, which sounded like the Talking Heads to me (especially vocally). The second Rusted Root album was produced by Jerry Harrison of the Talking Heads. Maybe they became more jammy after that.

Originally posted by Relaxer:

When I heard them, I though they sounded like an inferior version of Rusted Root, who in turn sound like an inferior version of the Talking Heads.
Rusted Root? The hippy-ish jam band? Are you serious? I realize that everyone is entitled to their own asinine opinion, but that's mind-boggling. Truly truly I say to you now. You need more bran in your life. [/b]

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005, 11:43:00 am »
  I've only heard stuff off of the first two Rusted Root albums, which sounded like the Talking Heads to me (especially vocally). The second Rusted Root album was produced by Jerry Harrison of the Talking Heads. Maybe they became more jammy after that.

they definitely have (had?) a bit of a late-era talking heads world-music vibe ... but they are quite a bit jammier than the heads ever got (to the best of my knowledge, that is)
(o|o)

brennser

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2005, 11:46:00 am »
I realize that everyone is entitled to their own asinine opinion, but that's mind-boggling.  
Is every opinion, except yours, asinine? Just curious, as you seem to have a problem with people liking music you don't and vice-versa?

I think the new Stellastarr single is excellent by the way....Sweet Troubled Soul

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2005, 11:51:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:
  Is every opinion, except yours, asinine? Just curious, as you seem to have a problem with people liking music you don't and vice-versa?

He made no comment on Rhett not liking the music, simply his assertation that they sound like Rusted Root. I can say DCFC sucks, and that's my perrogative, but I can't expect to go "it's my opinion death cab sounds like black sabbath" without being viewed as nuts.

markie

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2005, 11:57:00 am »
Well Rhett is right that stellastarr* sound like a watered down talking heads. I rather liked them for that.

I wonder if the show will sell out or if I should get tickets soon?

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2005, 12:07:00 pm »
Bad analogy. Stellastarr and Rusted Root's singers do "sing" with that sort of gulping, yelping vocal style. Ben Gibbard and Ozzy/Ronnie James have completely dissimiliar vocal styles.

Originally posted by Wayne, BadSushi Fellatio AFICIONADO:

He made no comment on Rhett not liking the music, simply his assertation that they sound like Rusted Root. I can say DCFC sucks, and that's my perrogative, but I can't expect to go "it's my opinion death cab sounds like black sabbath" without being viewed as nuts. [/b]

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2005, 12:15:00 pm »
  Bad analogy.
It is my opinion my analogy is apt. APT!

Relaxer

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2005, 12:25:00 pm »

I realize that everyone is entitled to their own asinine opinion, but that's mind-boggling.  

I think the new Stellastarr single is excellent by the way....Sweet Troubled Soul [/b]
Oh boo hoo, because I dissed on precious fragile Sleater-Kinney?   I was alluding to the fact that his comparison seemed way off of the mark. Note that I didn't disagree with the Talking Heads part of that, because there's some validity to that. If I said that my opinion is that Sleater-Kinney are a bunch of fat girls who need to find boyfriends, wouldn't you think that was an asinine opinion?
oword

alex

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2005, 12:48:00 pm »
I think we can all agree that Rhett, is indeed, mentally retarded.  And his wife is a dog.

I saw Stellastarr* last spring with this terrible opening band called the Killers, who didn't even have an album out yet.  Stellastarr* and Ambulance LTD owned the show, while it was thought that the Killers would just be another annoying foot-note of a shitty opening band, never to resurface again, especially considering how horrendous their show was.

My how we were all wrong.

Oh yeah, I'll be at this show.

lionforce5

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2005, 01:25:00 pm »
I've listened to the new album.  From what I've heard, there's enough material on both of their releases to make one really good album (about half the songs on each).  The rest is just filler.

Bags

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »
September 13, 2005
 New CD's

By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Sigur Ros
 "Takk..." (Geffen)

Sigur Ros revisits its familiar empyrean realms on "Takk...," this Icelandic band's fourth album. "Takk" means "Thank you," and it's another set of awestruck, shimmering songs that circle through a few stately chords while evolving from near silence to unabashed pomp. On past albums, Sigur Ros has forged songs into hermetic sanctuaries, but on "Takk..." it expands its music toward both the abstract and the corporeal.

This time, Sigur Ros lets pop choruses rise out of the mists, and Jonsi Birgisson sings words rather than the invented language on the band's previous album, "()." The lyrics are in Icelandic, and Sigur Ros has said they are about "moments and small adventures." The production adds abstraction with surreal electronic effects, from carefully placed bits of static to elaborately manipulated instrumental passages. But it is also grounded in physical sounds, from bell tones and ratchety noises (possibly the music boxes Sigur Ros used for its collaboration with the choreographer Merce Cunningham, "Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do") to marching feet to symphonic arrangements.

The band is augmented by strings and, in one hallucinatory stretch of "Se Lest," an oompahing brass band. Sometimes more is less; there are passages in songs like "Hoppipolla" where the music turns earthbound, even kitschy, as bombast replaces grandeur. But for most of "Takk..." Sigur Ros continues to contemplate the sublime with rapture, melancholy and grace. The band performs tonight at the Beacon Theater. JON PARELES